Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

Default Antec Plusview 1000 Mod, my first mod need help...

So i picked up a Antec Plusview 1000 case... currently have an antec super lanboy case... its really, I mean REALLY small everything is squashed. So i decided to pick this huge case up.

The case stock looks like this

Mod1: firstly i want to repaint...

i wanted it black like this

unless someone can convinice to better colour... note: i want the black to be glossy like in the picture

Mod2:

I want to create intake holes

like this

see front intake [2] i wonder if i can mod the case like that and have lights showing half from the grills

Mod3
Top intake holes?
is it possible to do this?

I knows its alot of work... but do you guys think its possible?

i think i might use this (Case door mesh grill mod (Pug stylee) :D - Apex Community Forums) way to do the grills on the top.

Questions:
1) what kinda paint do i use for cases? the same ones that you find in canadian tire for cars? + is there glossy black or do i have to put black and then and other coat on?

2) are the windows easy to take off? + if i where to drill more wholes for more fans how would i make sure the holes are big/small enough to fit the screws that hold the fan?

3) Mod 2 looks alittle impossible but is it?

Thanks for reading
Old July 14, 2008, 11:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For painting, I think your going to want to give the whole case a light sanding and a good cleaning. Then spray the whole case with some primer. After that, you can pickup gloss black paint but you'll probably still want to put a clear coat on top of it to get a really good shine.

For intake holes, pickup a hole saw from your nearest home improvement store. You can get ones close to 80mm and 120mm. To make the mounting holes, lay the fan on top and trace the 4 holes, then cut it with an appropriate drill bit.

The window should come off pretty easy, looks like its screwed in.

A top exhaust at the back would be totally useless since your power supply is right there. You could make an exhaust more towards the middle/front so that it's past the PSU but not on top of the DVD-RW or whatever. Basically how the top exhaust is in the XPCases pic.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd recommend only using that painting procedure for the Outside of the case. Since too much paint on the inside is a pain in the butt to scrape off of the mounting holes,etc, in the case. Maybe just 1 coat on the inside.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
For painting, I think your going to want to give the whole case a light sanding and a good cleaning. Then spray the whole case with some primer. After that, you can pickup gloss black paint but you'll probably still want to put a clear coat on top of it to get a really good shine.

For intake holes, pickup a hole saw from your nearest home improvement store. You can get ones close to 80mm and 120mm. To make the mounting holes, lay the fan on top and trace the 4 holes, then cut it with an appropriate drill bit.

The window should come off pretty easy, looks like its screwed in.

A top exhaust at the back would be totally useless since your power supply is right there. You could make an exhaust more towards the middle/front so that it's past the PSU but not on top of the DVD-RW or whatever. Basically how the top exhaust is in the XPCases pic.
So what kinda paint do i use? the ones for cars or is special ones needed?

the whole will be passed the psu (space between the psu and dvd-rw)

as for the fan holes i just look for a fan grill and drill the wholes using the screws that will be on the fan, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I'd recommend only using that painting procedure for the Outside of the case. Since too much paint on the inside is a pain in the butt to scrape off of the mounting holes,etc, in the case. Maybe just 1 coat on the inside.
not really sure if to paint the in side or not...
Old July 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

When I painted my case I sanded the whole case to scuff it up did 2 light coats for the inside and didn't bother clearing the inside. For the outside I did 2 coats of primer, then I sprayed on the base (colour) and did 3 coats of base. Then I wet sanded the case once it was try and applied 4 coats of clear.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...opperhead.html

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
So what kinda paint do i use? the ones for cars or is special ones needed?

the whole will be passed the psu (space between the psu and dvd-rw)

as for the fan holes i just look for a fan grill and drill the wholes using the screws that will be on the fan, correct?
I just used Tremclad spray paint to paint the inside of my case. Since your painting the outside and want a glossy finish though I suppose you'd want car paint.

And yeah, just trace out the 4 mounting holes of a fan grill and pickup a hole saw for the large hole.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you want a specific colour that you like on a car, places like NAPA will mix it and put it into an aerosol can for ya. You will need to bring in the paint code. You can find the paint codes here.

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com