Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Hole Saw Question

Does any drill work for a hole saw or are they specific ones.
It will be nice if someone could link a good drill (if possible $100) that would work for a hole saw.

Oh and one more thing, is it wise to buy individual hole saw pieces or those Hole Saw Kits with 10-15 saws work..

Thanks
Old July 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Does any drill work for a hole saw or are they specific ones.
It will be nice if someone could link a good drill (if possible $100) that would work for a hole saw.

Oh and one more thing, is it wise to buy individual hole saw pieces or those Hole Saw Kits with 10-15 saws work..

Thanks
I have a $20 drill I bought at Princess Auto for my hole saw :P

Works great.
Old July 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

the drill bit used for most hole saws is generally a 1/4" with 1 side of the shank milled flat for the set screw to tighten properly against it
Old July 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
Top Prospect

I have a $20 drill from Canadian Tire that will punch holes through any PC case built since 1990, not sure about that 1970-1980 steal though ;) If you purchase a hole saw your also going to need the hole saw arbor and it's a few extra $ on top of the saw itself. Also you should pick up a punch, you use it to tap a small recess in the middle of where you want to drill so your drill doesn't skip or slid across your pc case. there cheap and will save you some problems so get one.

This store has free shipping inside Canada and has a huge variety of hole saws plus there cheaper then Canadian tire.
Milwaukee - Heavy Duty 4/6 Tooth Hole Saws - Sizes 5/8" - 6" - Starting at:

hole saw arbor
Milwaukee - Individual Hole Saw Arbors<br><b>Starting At:

Punch kit
MIT - 3 Pc. "Heavy Duty" Nail Punch Set - Large Square Striking Surface

You'll have to contact them to see if all you need is the saw and arbor, my arbor has an attachment that fits into the saws to keep them from rotating and that arbor looks different. I've purchased lots of stuff from Bosstools, there a great store with good service.
Old July 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
MVP

Default details make the difference

without indicating what size hole(s) you want to bore no one answer is going to fit.
You can get both very cheap hole saws and drills. If you want to drill 3 1" holes a $2.00 saw and a $20.00 drill will do the trick.
Professional tools will perform much better - the hole saws will maintain a decent cutting edge, cut smooth accurate holes and the drill will last for years. Larger holes using professional hole saws use a 7/16" hex shank which requires a 1/2" drill chuck. A 3/8" chuck will be too small.

Milwaukee Hole Saw Kit
Old July 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
I've purchased lots of stuff from Bosstools, there a great store with good service.
/me shutters

I bought a Milwaukee 14.4v Cordless Drill from them and got jacked around for weeks where I was forced to call repeatedly to make inquiries, lied to on 2 occasions and FINALLY got the drill. Never again for me ...
Old July 14, 2008, 06:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

Percussion drill + bi-metal hole-saws FTW !!!

Last year, I bought a 10-12 piece Craftsman hole-saw kit, for approx. 70$ and a percussion drill. I've got just about every size for my hole-saw, except for the 120mm.

And the percussion drill (w/ adjustable grip arm) makes it easier to hold steady when punching trough hard steel.

Worthwile investment !

Old July 14, 2008, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Percussion drill + bi-metal hole-saws FTW !!!
No.

Hammer drills are not designed for use with holesaws.Or normal drill bits for that matter....on the same token , holesaws are not designed to be used in a hammerdrill.

Hammerdrills are specifically designed to use carbide tipped bits for drilling concrete/masonry/etc....

The only thing you will accomplish by putting a holesaw into a hammerdrill is decreasing the life of the holesaw by like a thousand percent.You'll just smash down all the teeth.

Old July 14, 2008, 07:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, most any drill other than a hammer drill is fine for a hole saw. Pick one up at THD for $50 and you will be good.
Old July 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
MVP

Default not a hammer drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
No.

Hammer drills are not designed for use with holesaws.Or normal drill bits for that matter...
- so true! well described and accurate info