Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Laser Cutting

Well as the title says, do you guys know of any places in Canada that offer custom laser cutting of acrylic? Feeling kinda lazy and want a professional job, so I thought I'd look into it.

I found this place in the US that sounds good and they do international orders as well, but if I can find something in Canada that would be even better.

The place needs to provide the 1/8" acrylic along with being able to accept an AutoCAD file from me of what to cut.

Everything I read about cutting acrylic makes it sound difficult and I don't really have any of the tools/blades/bits for it, so if the cost of that equals to how much laser cutting costs, might as well do it properly.

And in case you're curious, what I want is a semi-full window for my Antec 900 with a 120mm fan hole. Pretty much like this. I can handle the metal cutting I hope...
Old July 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

MOST places that do this work require you to provide a CAD drawing because they don't want to be held responsible for anything that may not be proper.

Cutting acrylic is ABSOLUTELY a cinch

All you need is some patience and time and its easy.

Jigsaw + proper blade = cutting butter.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Laser cutting can be found at any serious metal fab shop.The brackets I use for work (3/8 steel) are laser cut.By a 2.5 Kw Co2 CNC laser.....

Easiest way to look : yellowpages under welding.
----------

As far as needing a CAD drawing : you don't.Best thing to do , is to ask when you find a company.They might use it , they might not.Often it's easier and faster for them to re-code the CNC rig themselves than use a customer supplied drawing.

Old July 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
MOST places that do this work require you to provide a CAD drawing because they don't want to be held responsible for anything that may not be proper.

Cutting acrylic is ABSOLUTELY a cinch

All you need is some patience and time and its easy.

Jigsaw + proper blade = cutting butter.
Yeah those blades cost like $15 at Home Depot and a 114mm hole saw is like $50 or something ridiculous. Apparently there's also special drill bits so that is probably another $5-10. Plus the cost of the acrylic itself. I have a feeling to get it laser cut and shipped will be around that price anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Laser cutting can be found at any serious metal fab shop.The brackets I use for work (3/8 steel) are laser cut.By a 2.5 Kw Co2 CNC laser.....

Easiest way to look : yellowpages under welding.
----------

As far as needing a CAD drawing : you don't.Best thing to do , is to ask when you find a company.They might use it , they might not.Often it's easier and faster for them to re-code the CNC rig themselves than use a customer supplied drawing.

Metal and plastic cutting lasers are the same? Because I've seen places that say only metal or only plastic...
Old July 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yah know thats a good question.I do not know.

Shouldnt be any harder to find tho.If yer in TO I guarantee it'll be around.
Old July 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think that shops that make signs might be able to cut and provide you with scrap pieces of acrylic. Might even cost you less that way for the acrylic. I learned about that while searching for info on acrylic as I want to make some mods as well. I really need help with finding or making templates though. If anyone can help me with that, please let me know.

Other than that, you might want to rent a circle cutter bit instead of buying one, if at all possible. Check to see if any tool rental places offer them and for how much. Considering this might get you started in modding your own cases all the time it might be worth it for you to just buy it then, blades and bits as well. Or you can just do that next time around .
Old July 14, 2008, 05:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I emailed a quote for the place I linked...

It's $35 shipped for a 16x14" (bigger than I need to allow about 1" of space all around to mount to the side panel) with a 120mm fan hole and mounts. It's clear 1/8" acrylic. Seems pretty darn cheap to me and saves me all the work.

Looks like I've sold my TRUE as well so it'll be no money out of my pocket
Old July 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's a decent price , but did you look for someone local ?

It's worth your time.Once you establish a face-to-face relationship and pay for your work to be done a couple times , you might find they'll come thru when you really need em to.I've had important work for my mods done for nothing based on this...

Something to consider anyways...

Old July 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
That's a decent price , but did you look for someone local ?

It's worth your time.Once you establish a face-to-face relationship and pay for your work to be done a couple times , you might find they'll come thru when you really need em to.I've had important work for my mods done for nothing based on this...

Something to consider anyways...

I suppose I could but I don't think I'm exactly going to be a frequent customer.

I'm a bit young too for a business to really consider me a customer I think...
Old July 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Haw....That's exactly what I thought at first too.I'll admit it's not something that happens fast.It can take years, but if you don't start and try , you'll never know.