Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2008, 10:47 PM
Rookie

Default Desk safe for pc?

hi sorry not sure if this is the right sub forum but cant seem to find another so i'll post it here. i just got my new PC made, its an quad9450, evga 780i mobo,xfx 8800 GT, with an Antec case. My question is i got this desk that i got more then 10 years ago with an old ibm and it has room to place a mid tower pc so is it safe to put my Antec 900 in there. i had like 3 other pcs after the ibm and always used the same desk and always left the pc in the same spot but the antec 900 has like 4 fans all around, on top of the power supply fan, cpu fan and video card fan and im not sure if its safe to leave it in such a small area, fear of over heating.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7302/57374566or4.png
this is just to give an idea on what the desk looks like and how much room is left when the pc is inside, sorry for the bad drawing.
Old June 10, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEx View Post
hi sorry not sure if this is the right sub forum but cant seem to find another so i'll post it here. i just got my new PC made, its an quad9450, evga 780i mobo,xfx 8800 GT, with an Antec case. My question is i got this desk that i got more then 10 years ago with an old ibm and it has room to place a mid tower pc so is it safe to put my Antec 900 in there. i had like 3 other pcs after the ibm and always used the same desk and always left the pc in the same spot but the antec 900 has like 4 fans all around, on top of the power supply fan, cpu fan and video card fan and im not sure if its safe to leave it in such a small area, fear of over heating.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7302/57374566or4.png
this is just to give an idea on what the desk looks like and how much room is left when the pc is inside, sorry for the bad drawing.
unless you want to suffocate your computer it will not work.
Old June 10, 2008, 11:24 PM
Rookie

You could add ventilation cutouts to the area the PC will be in. Then install fans to keep fresh air circulating in that little nook. alot of effort though.
CPU Q6600@3.2 GHZ Video 2xEVGA8800GTS Memory 4x1GB Kingston HyperX Cooling Swiftech Apogee&MCW60 + 4xNoctua 800 + 16" floor fan with open case (temporary, I hope)... PSU PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Storage 4xWD Caviar 500GB RAID 0+1 MoBo EVGA 780i
Old June 10, 2008, 11:33 PM
Rookie

theres no fans on the sides of the pc, the antec 900 has fans in front, back and top and while there is only a 1 inch gap for the top both the front and back are open wide
Old June 11, 2008, 06:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have seen computers jammed into worse places that have lasted for years. You do have a bit of a beast there. Are you going to OC it? If the back of that desk is open or has holes so the hot air can flow out then I do not think this will result in immediate destruction.

All the fans on these kinds of enthusiast cases are over kill for many applications. Compare the stock cooler shipped with processors to the monsters you can get. The stock cooler is just fine for basic use. If you want to run Crysis for 9 hours a day and leave the computer loaded to the max with F@H when you are not using it then you need to make sure it is well cooled. If you just want to game a couple hours and surf the net a couple hours and turn it off when you are not using it then you do not need a zillion fans.

Will this be ok? Just test it. Torture test it on top of the desk (with lots of ventilation) for the day and then stick it in the desk for a day and monitor the temperatures. If they shoot up 20 degrees then you probably want to consider a change but if they do not then the computer will be fine.
Old June 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

well, its not going to run cooler thats for sure. I don't think you'd kill it though, you just have to try it and see
if the temps are acceptable, if not drilling big hole in the side or back would help.
A big hole on the inside part would keep your feet warm in the winter!!!

My current PC is stuffed into a small space too, it runs hot, but its been 3 years and still going.
Old June 11, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

As well as other suggestions Id look to pull the back out behind the PC so at least you have an in and out.

Otherwise you could maybe raise the desk an inch or two by screwing in extension feet and pulling out the bottom?? that way the air will find a way in and out--hopefully your able to raise your chair too.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; June 11, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old June 11, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had a very similar setup for a long time with a generic case that had front and back fans, and a side fan, but the back of the cabinet was open so air could vent from front to back. My temps were fine. If you can't do that your PC will likely be toastier but I doubt it will do any real harm.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

as Thund3rball stated open the back side of desk to allow air to exit, it will be fine
Old June 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We've had three PCs die at work from being placed in an enclosure. The reason cases have fans is to bring fresh air in... if you put it in an enclosed place the heat just keeps building so all of your components end up at max temp fairly quickly. That's not good for a system 24/7.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP