Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2017, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Default I'm thinking of changing my Mini ITX Case to an even smaller one...

Hello everyone,

I finished building my first gaming desktop in January. Currently I'm in a position where I can't handle a giant ATX case, as well as I'm more interested in building things with small footprints. However, I'm running into a weird dilemma where I can't just select a single case and be satisfied with it. Let's see...

1. To begin I bought a Corsair 250d Used. I didn't like it, and I took me almost 2 months to sell it.
2. Then I bought a Fractal design Core 500 on a whim when it was on sale. I LOVED it for a while, but then I ran into some QC problems with the front panel connectors (off/on, reset buttons) , and the panel around the actual case was hard to take on and off, to the point where it would get "flexed" in one position and then cause me like 5 minutes to get put on or off. I tried to contact Fractal Design support about it, got no response. After a week i returned it.
3. Right now i have a Thermaltake Core v1. I bought it on a whim when i couldn't decide between a Fracal Design Nano S (mostly because I didn't trust FD after them not responding to my issue with the last case) or a Phanteks Evolv ITX (HUGE for an ITX case). So far it's prefect, but it's pretty ugly and not really my style. But everything about the case in terms of usability is perfect; it's well ventilated, can fit all my parts, and is simple to carry around.

I wouldn't mind sticking with my current case, but as I said, I'm trying to save as much space as possible. So I'm wondering if anyone had any hands on experience with the following cases:

Cooler Master Elite 130 (The main thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on this one is the fact that the PSU is above the Motherboard, and my PSU has a bottom mounted fan (I can always just flip it over though). Oh and the fact that the PSU hangs out the back of the case)

Silverstone Sugo Sg13. Once again, I'm concerned about the "PSU over the Mobo" design, and my PSU is 160mm and I'm worried that it wouldn't fit.

Then there's the Phanteks Enthoo evolv ITX and the Fractal Design Define Nano S. Both of them seem to have the same problem: The PSU is waaay too close to the GPU and might choke either components. They're both also HUGE for the form factor, and the entire point of my build was to keep things as small as possible. That, and the FD has the hit against it for the bad customer service that I got earlier.

I might just end up stuck with my current case, but i guess I just wanted some opinions first. This was my first build, but I'm learning that for a mini itx platform, I should've done more research (>_>).

BTW my build is here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sha...e/saved/7FrWZL
Old April 5, 2017, 04:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I enjoyed the build I did with the Elite 130 and at the time it felt like a proper mITX case while the great majority of the other mITX builds I tried felt like they might as well have been mATX. Keep in mind though that it's really deep/long if that would be an issue where you intend to place it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 5, 2017, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then why not look into slim ITX cases like the Silverstone Raven? The issue of the FD Nano S with the GPU too close to the PSU can be mitigated by choosing a reference design GPU with a blower style fan.
Old April 5, 2017, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Then why not look into slim ITX cases like the Silverstone Raven? The issue of the FD Nano S with the GPU too close to the PSU can be mitigated by choosing a reference design GPU with a blower style fan.
Do you mean this one?

Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (RVZ01B) - PCPartPicker Canada

It looks more up my alley if I'm going to go towards a smaller case, but right now it's only in stock on Amazon for 141$ including tax. That and I'd have to change my PSU. And I haerd that about the FD Nano S, but aren't Blower style fans louder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I enjoyed the build I did with the Elite 130 and at the time it felt like a proper mITX case while the great majority of the other mITX builds I tried felt like they might as well have been mATX. Keep in mind though that it's really deep/long if that would be an issue where you intend to place it.
It being deep/long wouldn't be an issue for me. Can I ask you a few questions about the case though? Like... how long did you have it for? Was it good with sound isolation? How were the average temps (I'm using Water cooling and it's really good in my current case, so I don't have TOO many issues)?
Old April 5, 2017, 07:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just did a build recently in a silverstone RVZ02B (very slim case) I ended up modding it to fit 2 HDD and an SSD. I managed to fit an r9 fury nitro in there with no issues at all. Temps weren't horrible either. I believe I maxed the GPU at 70c and the CPU under full load 72c (6700k) using the ar06 cooler. Modded RVZ02B If you think you'd be interested in that case I do actually have it for sale.
Old April 5, 2017, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredAwe View Post
Do you mean this one?

Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (RVZ01B) - PCPartPicker Canada

It looks more up my alley if I'm going to go towards a smaller case, but right now it's only in stock on Amazon for 141$ including tax. That and I'd have to change my PSU. And I haerd that about the FD Nano S, but aren't Blower style fans louder?

It being deep/long wouldn't be an issue for me. Can I ask you a few questions about the case though? Like... how long did you have it for? Was it good with sound isolation? How were the average temps (I'm using Water cooling and it's really good in my current case, so I don't have TOO many issues)?
It's been quite a while so I don't have a lot of answers to your questions other than what I remember as a general impression.....

It's not a high end case by any means so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of sound isolation. What it had going for it in the fit&finish category was it's small(ish) footprint which meant that there wasn't a lot of excess metal to flex and thus it felt pretty substantial.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 6, 2017, 06:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Out of all the Evolv cases, the ITX version is my favourite. The only time the PSU + shroud might choke your GPU is if your GPU is 2.5 slots thick. The GTX 1060 you specified is not, so should be a non-issue for you.

It is big for an ITX case at 33 litres, but the top radiator slide-in tray is a boon if you are using a 240mm AiO or decide on custom loop water cooling. In your case the AiO would easily fit in the back slot.

The Thermaltake Suppressor F1 is the more elegant version of the V1, though I believe air flow would not be as good, but still more than adequate. Here's a link to our (sometimes) favourite vendor, NCIX: Thermaltake Suppressor F1 Mini ITX Case - CA-1E6-00S1WN-00 - NCIX.com

Another quality case (IMHO) for ITX builds is the Raijintek Metis, which has all aluminum exterior panels and is like 13 litres in size. Other than reversing the rear fan to be intake there isn't a lot required to get a nice build in these.

Or the Raijintek Styx, which is Micro ATX, also all aluminum exterior panels, and both cases don't use rivets so they can be completely disassembled during installation. They are available from Newegg.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 7, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredAwe View Post
And I heard that about the FD Nano S, but aren't Blower style fans louder?
Buy some headphones!

Tags
case , itx , mini , mini itx