Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default spray painting motherboard

Would painting a motherboard have any ill effects? and yes I would cover EVERY connector before doing it.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

Are you high!?!?!? Certainly, I don't know if it's good or not, but wouldn't you rather just buy a mobo with the color you want? Sorry for the mad rampage/outrage...
Old May 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
Rookie
F@H

LOL, I was waiting for a reply like that. But what i was thinking was a phosphorus clear coat , a couple black lights and your whole case will light up...
Old May 18, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by expance View Post
LOL, I was waiting for a reply like that. But what i was thinking was a phosphorus clear coat , a couple black lights and your whole case will light up...
What you may find is that the paint will cover ICs and chips that get warm and with the paint on them get even warmer.

I say get a old old computer.. paint the board... plug in from far away and see what happens over time.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
Rookie

No dont do it the paint will act like a insulator and shorten the life of the motherboard... I'm pretty sure they still make motherboards that react under UV lights DFI had a few of those i'm sure..take a look at the manufacturers I,m sure someone still does
Old May 19, 2008, 11:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I say go for it. Pretty much any mod has some chance of destroying or shortening the lifespan of the mainboard. Just add up the costs and decide if you are willing to burn that amount of cash.

IMHO, The amount of insulation a layer of clear coat will add would be small. Sure it will shorten the life of the board but do you want to add years to your life or life to your years?

How are you going to apply it? Does this stuff come in a spray bomb? Can you give the card a lite passes to test the effect first or do you have to soak the board to get it to glow the way you want?

Just on the off chance that the paint is conductive I would spray a thick blob of it on some plastic and test it with a meter.

Post some pics if you do it.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

i gotta agree with jack rabbit and say go for it. if you can afford to kill whatever your working with, then why the hell not. at work we conformal coat entire PCB assemblies that go into high speed cameras among other things. now they have a lot of components that get hot. how hot? hotter than components on a motherboard? it's impossible to say, but all i can say is that a 1/8inch thick conformal coat on those bad boys doesn't cause any problems with them.

sounds like an interesting mod and certainly one that would reap impressive benefits if it turned out how i would imagine you are envisioning it. and as we all know...anything that turns out spectacular has a chance of flopping hard.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
Rookie

You could tape off certain parts that are going to create the most heat couldnt you? Then just peel the tape off after? I dont know lol Im sure everyone here thought it but figured it would take a newb like me to say it
Old May 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

I would put on a conformal coating first to protect the electronics, you can
pick it up at most electronics stores.
I know this is wiki, but its pretty much correct;
Conformal coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old May 19, 2008, 07:47 PM
Rookie
F@H

Thanks for all the input, It is a idea I've been thinking about . If I ever get around to doing it I will definitely post up some pic's.