Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 08:08 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13,587
Default The NZXT Manta ITX Case Review Comment Thread

NZXT's Manta case represents a new generation of "super sized" ITX enclosures. It may be a bit large but it incorporates countless features not normally found in the ITX market.

Read and watch more here: The NZXT Manta ITX Case Review
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 08:15 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 16,839

My System Specs

Default

Yeah.... why buy a mITX case that's the size of a mATX case?
__________________
Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI / i7 4770K / 2X 8G Gskill 1866 Sniper / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,014

My System Specs

Default

I suppose they wouldn't keep releasing these type of gigantic ITX cases if they weren't selling, but really, the shot next to the S340 says it all. Crippling your expansion capabilities for virtually no size difference.. this particular trend of ITX makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yeah.... why buy a mITX case that's the size of a mATX case?
It's 46L. That puts it in S340 and FT05 territory... ATX cases.. so even crazier than can be possibly believed.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 08:33 AM
sweenytodd's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: winterPEG
Posts: 362

My System Specs

Default

I'll take the Fractal Design Nano S over this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,014

My System Specs

Default

Upon reflection, the dimension figures online may likely be the box dimensions, so it probably sits closer to 40-42L. I refuse to believe it's really 46L...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 09:29 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 16,839

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
I suppose they wouldn't keep releasing these type of gigantic ITX cases if they weren't selling, but really, the shot next to the S340 says it all. Crippling your expansion capabilities for virtually no size difference.. this particular trend of ITX makes no sense to me.



It's 46L. That puts it in S340 and FT05 territory... ATX cases.. so even crazier than can be possibly believed.
This is a good point for folks to think about.... I'm currently dealing with the hunt for a replacement 1150 board while I wait for RMA and am finding the mITX in stock "Z" options very slim.

I still like the mITX form, but if a person is going to go this big they might as well stick with an mATX format.
__________________
Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI / i7 4770K / 2X 8G Gskill 1866 Sniper / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,014

My System Specs

Default

My views are more extreme than that - 40L is still too big for mATX as far as I am concerned. Mine is 30L and has no component size limitations.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 10:37 AM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,442

My System Specs

Default

I think this case is really only aimed towards the individuals that are attracted by the aesthetics of this case. Some people will want to have a case that's something other than cubic rectangle, and this at least gives them another option. It's certainly clean looking and has a nice finish.

But I'm with most here. If I'm going to do an mitx build, I want it to be mitx sized. This is too big to serve as an HTPC. Too big and probably to cumbersome to lug around as a LAN case. Too big for a really limited desk space environment. Just doesn't appeal to me, particularly at that price point. I'd look at a steambox still case, or an Evolv or see what bitfenix has at that price point and go with something smaller. If I was going to go that large, I'd look at an matx or small atx offering.

I don't hate this case, and normally I like a lot of NZXT's offerings, but I think the mark will have a big yawn over this and in a couple years it'll be entirely forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NZXT HQ
Posts: 52

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I think this case is really only aimed towards the individuals that are attracted by the aesthetics of this case. Some people will want to have a case that's something other than cubic rectangle, and this at least gives them another option. It's certainly clean looking and has a nice finish.

But I'm with most here. If I'm going to do an mitx build, I want it to be mitx sized. This is too big to serve as an HTPC. Too big and probably to cumbersome to lug around as a LAN case. Too big for a really limited desk space environment. Just doesn't appeal to me, particularly at that price point. I'd look at a steambox still case, or an Evolv or see what bitfenix has at that price point and go with something smaller. If I was going to go that large, I'd look at an matx or small atx offering.

I don't hate this case, and normally I like a lot of NZXT's offerings, but I think the mark will have a big yawn over this and in a couple years it'll be entirely forgotten.
I carried the CES sample case through 2 airports with no issues at all. It will make a great LAN PC.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2016, 02:56 PM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Down under
Posts: 4,378

My System Specs

Default

Looks like a nice case. I agree on the size issue, BUT I have no doubt it could sell well. Cases this size allow people to just buy their components without worrying about fitting them.

That all said, my next build will be ITX, but in a smaller case.
__________________
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K 1.09v/4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance [email protected], XFX R9 280X DD, Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NZXT H630 Silent Full Tower Case Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Cases 6 July 31, 2013 07:38 PM
NZXT Switch 810 Case Review Comment Thread SKYMTL Cases 37 July 5, 2012 02:42 PM
NZXT Panzerbox Case Review Comment Thread lemonlime Cases 9 July 27, 2009 01:16 PM
Comment Thread for NZXT Alpha Case Review SKYMTL Cases 12 December 10, 2007 03:41 PM