Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2015, 05:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation Mini ITX choice

Hi folks!
I am planning my upgrade step by step, present system is a C2D E7500/8GB RAM DDR2/1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM. So far I got myself the cpu and mobo, mini ITX setup, Pentium G3258 and MSI H81I, I was eying this Pentium since it got out! Ok, so for the case, I want it to really look nice and be small. So far I am looking mostly at Corsair Obsidian 250D, Bitfenix Prodigy, Thermaltake Core V1 and Cooler Master Elite 110. What I want mostly would be a huge fan in the front panel, either a 200mm or larger if possible, all the air intake filtered, be it bottom,sides and top, and a handle to move the case around with ease. Drives wise, most probably the setup will have a SSD and a HDD, and if the case allows, an ODD. Cooling wise I am going with stock air cooling! I have watched a number of videos as well, I know for example that the Prodigy Black is the only one with perforated front panel from the other colors of the Prodigy family. My absolute favorite would be the Corsair 380T in yellow but that is the most expensive of the bunch and the price is quite outrageous on it, not to mention that the yellow version is very difficult to get. Ok, so after a few more videos, I see that the V1 comes with raised standoffs and a big 200 mm fan pre-installed. On the 250D I was thinking of reversing the airflow of the exhaust fan on the side to make it channel air in, like this my stock Intel heatsink would have some fresh air and the air would be pressured outside through the 2x80 mm fan placements. One of my worries is not to get dust inside through the 80 mm fan holes in the back. My PSU is an older Antec Earthwatts 380 that does not have a bottom fan, just a perforated front and an 80mm exhaust fan. I see I can get magnetic air filters from InWin at Canada Computers. Canada Computers & Electronics | Cases | IN WIN Magnetic Air Filter 160x180mmx1mm (2x pieces)
I think I have been pretty detailed with my objectives, please let me know what would suit best for my case. Oh and please refrain from objecting to the handles of the Prodigy, I absolutely love those!
I am thinking that if I go with the Prodigy I could relocate the exhaust fan from the back, on top of the case to ensure a constant flow of fresh and filtered air to the Intel heatsink, what do you think? I could also remove the bottom drive cage for a bit more fresh air from the front intake fan to my PSU.

Last edited by MARSTG; April 16, 2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 05:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had looked into the prodigy when I was building my steambox, but one thing to keep in mind, is that it's hardly 'small' for an mitx setup. I actually liked the idea of the handles too, but it was just way too big for what I wanted.

Have you considered the N Case M1? It can hold a surprising amount of kit in a small space. I ended up using the Silverstone ML07 (RVZ01 restyle) but I wouldn't recommend it if you're worried about dust as it has not the best dust or airflow control options.

Out of your options, I'd probably go with the Corsair on looks and premium 'feel' as much as anything. I've always found thermaltake's cases have kind of a 'cheap' look/feel to them.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Size wasn't one of my pre-requisites! Besides, aluminum construction would not allow for magnetic dust filters to stay on.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:11 AM
MVP

Indeed - that's why Demciflex allows you to specify between Ferrous or Non-Ferrous when ordering from them, just as a FYI if you were considering their filters.

You get adhesive strips that are magnetic to circumvent this :). Strong enough to stay on, but easy to peel off with no residue left behind.

My vote would be the Elite 110 from your list of options.

Old April 16, 2015, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Might not fit your criteria, but I'm partial Fractal Design Node 304. The phanteks that was just reviewed also looks good.
Heatware
Old April 16, 2015, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Raijintek Metis anyone?
Old April 16, 2015, 10:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Bitfenix Prodigy handles aren't very strong, so I don't necessarily suggest moving the case by the handles very often.

Cooler Master Elite 110 is a great case, but airflow is not incredible, and with an ATX PSU it's not very easy to work in.

Core V1 has the best airflow of them all, good foam front air filter, and has decent HD capabilities. I also like the unique interchangeable and removable panels on every side, which for me, is a must in a horizontal mobo mounted case. It also comes with a 200mm fan which none of the others do, and it's a fan I'd rate as good as others except maybe for the Phanteks PH-F200SP.

I've used those air filters, and I wasn't very impressed. In the Cooler Master Elite 110 they didn't keep my SFX PSU very clean. I'd avoid them, they are soft plastic insect/bug screen with a strip magnet on each side. I'd probably go with the Silver Stone ones, or DemciFlex.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 17, 2015, 02:05 AM
Allstar

When you say mitx, three cases come to mind.

The tower case, Rose will Legacy U2.
The cube case, Silverstone SG13.
The console case, Silverstone FTZ01.

If your choice is bigger than those then you will be better off with matx.
Old April 17, 2015, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think you will have a clear winner for this vote.

I think the prodigy is a great looking case, but too big and expensive for what it is IMO. And the "handles" are more for looks than functional.

The 250D seems like a great case, and would be my choice at the >$80 range if you want that size case with ODD and water cooling functionallity.

The 110 seems like a great bang for buck case, that you wouldn't go wrong with, but doesn't do anything for me.

I will be honest and say I haven't heard of the Core V1 before, but after looking at it it seems like a no brainer for bang for buck if you want airflow. Not the best looking case ever, but it would be my pick of the bunch.
Old April 17, 2015, 07:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No chance to convince you to revisit the 380T is there? I'm liking mine, and the handle is functional. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM