Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2015, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Corsair 250D + H100i + MSI Z87i = FRUSTRATION!

So... I have been running an ITX system for a while now and I absolutely love it. It saves space, and I like the simplicity of a smaller, streamlined case. Up until now, I have been running in a Cooler Master Elite 130. This case has been excellent, but it's more than a little cramped, so I decided to go for something with a little more shoulder room. And after a lot of research and reviews, the Corsair Obsidian 250D became the clear front runner.

I picked up a 250D and an H100i. (to replace a low-pro Noctua I was using) The H100i is the recommended liquid cooling system for the 250D, and every review I saw seemed to emphasize how well the two work together. Unfortunately... I forgot to take one 'minor' detail in to account; the MSI board that I am running (a Z87i Gaming AC that I absolutely love) has opted to use a different placement for their 24 and 8 pin power connectors than I had seen on any of the review boards for the case. I suppose I should have noticed prior to assembly, but it never really occurred to me. Rather than being along the edge of the board that is next to the large air cavity where the cables are tucked away, they are butted up right against the H100i and it's fans. This made cable routing a huge pain in the arse, AND also looks terrible from the window above. (click to enlarge image)

So now I'm left to either leave it as it is. (Works fine, looks horrible) Or I can buy a whole new board and go through the huge hassle of swapping everything out. The obvious choice is to live with it as it is, but it's a bit of a disappointment given that not a single review I saw mentioned just how incredibly tight of a fit the H100i is inside this case. It allows for absolutely ZERO cable management in and around it. And there's no alternate options for routing cables that are anywhere on the board except to run them right across it. This includes USB, front panel, sound, etc...

All in all, the 250D is a really nice case. Plenty of room for most situations, excellent to fit an 240 rad in to a mITX case... but seems lacking of some basic cable routing support for versatility of choice. Would I buy it anyway had I known these problems would arise? Possibly... but more because it's competitors are equally, if not more so, limiting and frustrating. (I tried a BitFenix Prodigy for all of a day before I gave up in disgust. That thing wobbles like an earthquake at the slightest desk bump.) But at least my expectations would have been tempered going in to the build.

So, in short, if you're looking at building a mITX system in a 250D, pay attention to what board you're using and plan accordingly...
Old March 11, 2015, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Iv'e got a Asus Z87I-DELUXE in a Corsair 250D, The vertical VRM section partially interferes with the cooling just not as bad as your 24pin does. Short of getting out the dremel, and having the fans for the H100i outside the case there isn't great options.

ITX is always going to be a bit of a shoehorn operation.