Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2015, 07:01 AM
Rookie

Default [Survey] If you could design your own PC, what would it be like?

Hello everyone, it's Ray again. My group is planning to design a PC case, and we need your help to guide our design!

This is the last round of surveys before we go into sleepless design mode:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JFZ...?usp=send_form

The survey is very short, so please fill it out! For those of you that missed it, here is the link to yesterday's survey:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K1X...?usp=send_form

Thanks for all the great comments in yesterday's survey. We hope that we can bring you something really cool!
Old January 19, 2015, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Again, not sure what other information you are collecting... but these two surveys combined don't cover many points that I would consider important. Maybe someone else can dig up the link but a group made a custom case with input from enthusiast and built a limited run. That was extremely well thought out and designed and I would have bought one if I had know about the project.

*I think* this is the same case: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/NCA...ure,21138.html
Old January 19, 2015, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Again, not sure what other information you are collecting... but these two surveys combined don't cover many points that I would consider important. Maybe someone else can dig up the link but a group made a custom case with input from enthusiast and built a limited run. That was extremely well thought out and designed and I would have bought one if I had know about the project.

*I think* this is the same case: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/NCA...ure,21138.html
Thanks for the feedback man! What points would you consider important?
Old January 19, 2015, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think approaching the topic of price vs materials vs quality is a good one. Also looking at general size interest is good too as maybe more people want tiny than want support for enthusiast computer hardware.

For me, when I think of the case of my dreams, I start on the inside with the layout and modularity. The outside needs to have the aesthetics to please, but I am personally wiling to compromise on the materials to keep the price in check, so long as it looks good still (I know some people would disagree).

1) What kind of SSD/HDD mounting? I'd like to have at least one 3.5" drive, some people want two. Two 2.5" mounts for SSDs seems like a no brainer as they are EASY to fit almost anywhere with extra space, but having them in such a way that they can be displayed through your window? super cool.
2) What kind of cooling/airflow do I want? How important is it to add in AIO water cooling vs all air? Do I want it to support radiators while supporting "extreme" itx boards such as Motherboards - MAXIMUS VI IMPACT - ASUS or do I only care about more 'standard' itx boards?
3) GPU length support???? I prefer 290mm, but you can get away with 270mm support on most high end cards.
4) What can I move around/use if I don't install components? i.e. if it supports a radiator, can I install HDDs instead if I don't use it? Can I place fans somewhere if I don't install a certain component. What can I do with or without an ODD installed? What benefits can I get if I am using a smaller length GPU?
5) PSU placement and cable management system!! How much room will I have to "bend" the cables coming out of the PSU into the cut out holes for management? Will the PSU have an adapter for the external cable from outside the case to be hidden (depends on PSU placement). Will the motherboard area be raised to allow more room for feeding cables without adding to the overall width of the case (depends on PSU placement/type)? How do I keep my connectors to SSD/HDD clean? Custom built in cable to the Front Panel IO!!! (I love this feature)
6) How can I show off the hardware in my case? Maybe it isn't for everyone, but for me I love to think of showing off good looking hardware and being able to have it clean and neat where I see it.

I will say that I do like that you are also thinking of improving the functionality of the outside of the case (i.e. carrying handle, phone cradle, headphone holder, etc) and seeing what people would like that way.

Last edited by draemn; January 19, 2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old January 24, 2015, 06:44 AM
Trial Member

Survey form needs a bit of a redesign, it's hard to get across what someone wants in a case.

Basically I would give anyone 500 dollars plus to give me a case with the air flow and silence peformance of the the r5 but with the space inside and ease of build of the full tower cases such as the ethno luxe. There seems to be breakdown in silent case provisions between mid tower and extended tower cases (i.e. you go from the r5/silentbase to the huge deep silence).

Completely removable drive bays and a lot of thought to sata and power routing. ability to remove the 5inch bays and push the hdd bays into that space (something that I never see on any case).

Basically do me what Antec should have done with the p380 and I will shower you with money.

Antec P380 & Enthusiast Cases Aren't Going to Cut It | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks
Old January 24, 2015, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The PC case I have is the one I would have built. Corsair Air 540.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- EVGA x 2 Titan X SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card- LG 34" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 25, 2015, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The epitome of mini pc cases for me is the Corsair Graphite 380T in yellow. It has everything I would want form a modern case : perforated mesh panels, enough space for decent air cooling, some HDD space, can hold a modern GPU. I don't have it, but if I would go tomorrow for a new system, that would be my first choice. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html
Old January 25, 2015, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
The epitome of mini pc cases for me is the Corsair Graphite 380T in yellow. It has everything I would want form a modern case : perforated mesh panels, enough space for decent air cooling, some HDD space, can hold a modern GPU. I don't have it, but if I would go tomorrow for a new system, that would be my first choice. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html
I'm not so sure on the yellow, but I've been eyeing that case as well. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 25, 2015, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not so sure on the yellow, but I've been eyeing that case as well. :)
You go with that yellow box to a LAN party, everybody will flock around you!
Attached Images

Old January 26, 2015, 07:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

-I got the 380T in red/black and painted the plastic pieces a dark teal (Rustoleum Painter's touch 2X Blue lagoon)

-Cut the hard disk bay in front off with my hack saw and repainted the mobo tray.

-And removed all the top handle and mobo tray rivets and replaced them with M4 screws for tighter re-assembly and usability/modularity. With these mods the case is golden in terms of usability. I don't buy 3.5" drives any more so the loss of the front disk cage is trivial for me.

I have a thread on Dazmode's forum named "laggy" (in reference to the paint color) where you can see photos.

It's getting an Asus Max VI impact with a 240mm side mounted Darkside 27mm thick radiator and a front (vertically) mounted Swiftech H220x with the fittings replaced. I'll finish it at SOME point

The Swiftech, at 246mm long is the only radiator that can fit vertically in this case up front.

I might put my Powercolor 7990 with EK water block in it because I CAN (it fits)

I think for me with Mini ITX the biggest features are:

1) Space efficiency with a fairly small foot print
2) Modular design. The Thermaltake Core V1 is another very usable case because it has all side, top, and bottom panels removable via thumbscrews making it super-easy to build in
3) Water cooling or air cooling capability with proper dust filtration, with at least room for a 240mm medium thickness radiator, or thin radiator with one, or two sets of fans for push-pull
4) A couple of 2.5" disk bays
5) Space for up to a 10.5" long GPU with enough vertical room for water cooling ports
6) Make it somewhat pretty

While not very good looking, the Thermaltake Core V1 is great because all the panels are removable via thumscrews, making it super-easy to work in.

While smaller, the Raijintek Metis is also very good here as all panels are removable via small countersunk 6-32 screws.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732