Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2014, 01:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have my wife's build in a SG05. Nice case for a stock build, I don't think it's got enough airflow for major OC's. It's a bugger to work in because it's so tight, and it's also somewhat lacking in HDD mounts IIRC. The 450w PSU also limits your GPU selection.

I have a Node 304 I had a build in for a couple months, my issue with that was fitting a longer modular PSU in it with a full length GPU. It would be fine with a shorty or onboard GPU, or a 150mm or less PSU. Excellent for a multiple drive installation, a lot easier to work in than the Sugo.

I'm waiting for a 250D to come in myself. The combination of being able to put a full size ATX PSU in with a long GPU was the deciding factor for me.
Old April 8, 2014, 02:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I have my wife's build in a SG05. Nice case for a stock build, I don't think it's got enough airflow for major OC's. It's a bugger to work in because it's so tight, and it's also somewhat lacking in HDD mounts IIRC. The 450w PSU also limits your GPU selection.

I have a Node 304 I had a build in for a couple months, my issue with that was fitting a longer modular PSU in it with a full length GPU. It would be fine with a shorty or onboard GPU, or a 150mm or less PSU. Excellent for a multiple drive installation, a lot easier to work in than the Sugo.

I'm waiting for a 250D to come in myself. The combination of being able to put a full size ATX PSU in with a long GPU was the deciding factor for me.
Thanks for the feedback! That's really interesting. I cannot yet decide on a drive configuration that I want. I want at least two drives but not sure if 2 SSDs or 1 SSD and 1 HDD is sufficient. 2 SSDs and 1 HDD would be ideal but the SG05 only has two bays, right? I suppose money is the factor here as 1 SSD at 240/256GB and the other can be 128GB would do. I want one drive to house Windows and the other, Linux. (I already have a 1TB HDD so I thought I could use it).

If I decide to try the SG05, I'd probably buy the LITE version and get the Silverstone 450W SFX modular psu. I'd go with the integrated graphics but contemplate putting a GTX 750Ti in there later.

I found an interesting article that might interest you. It's in Russian, though. ;) The translation wasn't bad. It appears the SG05 does a better job cooling - well, that was their experience.

Mini-ITX ??? ??????? ??????: ??????? Corsair Obsidian 250D ? SilverStone Sugo SG05-450 - ?????? Hardware
Old April 11, 2014, 12:31 AM
Rookie

The EVGA Hadron Air is a nice case, people complain about the 200 dollar price tag... BUT it does come with a 1u server PSU which is 500w and gold rated... those sell for about 130ish... so overall not a bad deal considering... and the case is very nice! but wow was it ever small...
Old April 11, 2014, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnGhost View Post
The EVGA Hadron Air is a nice case, people complain about the 200 dollar price tag... BUT it does come with a 1u server PSU which is 500w and gold rated... those sell for about 130ish... so overall not a bad deal considering... and the case is very nice! but wow was it ever small...
Yeah, looks like a nice case but still considerably larger than the other cases I'm considering.

I'm leading towards the Silverstone Sugo SG05-LITE case even though there are some things I don't like about it and it will be a challenge to set up everything in such tight and cramped spaces. Also, I think it will need some creative modding as I'd like two SSDs inside. Air cooling is limited height-wise and I'd need the drive rack out if I ever consider liquid closed cooling. I want wifi on the mobo so those are considerably expensive. So, the SG-05 case is cheap so that helps a bit. Not sure whether to go with the black or white case, though. I guess it's nicer that Silverstone decided to paint inside the black ones. I read these cases are outdated and were sharp - is that still true?

I'm reading of various ideas to mount the SSDs and I've never modded a case before. Oh, fun....lol

If I don't like the case, it's just $50, I guess.

The other components are a good deal of cash but I'm buying periodically. I'll have plenty of time to study the case if I buy it first. :)