Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2014, 07:25 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

What about some of Cooler Master stuff like the N600 (Windowed) looks great, would serve well for your needs and can be found for around $80.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
I would advocate saving a bit more as well bit that may not be possible for him.

I just sold my Fractal R2 Midi and I have a Define R4 sitting next to me as I type. The R2 is better for airflow, and better for watercooling due to the offset position on the 120mm holes on the roof. There are better watercooling cases that have come out since, though, if you are trying to cram as much rad space as possible into the case.The Define D4 is better for silence due to the isolation foam, olid front panel with side ventilation, and side and top fan blanks (also with a thick sound isolation padding). Looks are subjective. The R2 Midi really surprised me, I found I liked it about as much as my previous Silverstone FT02 overall, which has a huge price disparity. It is apparent that they listen to customer feedback as well, as the R2 Mini addressed some of the concerns the R2 Midi had.

As far as I am concerned, if air cooling is a person's primary concern and they are going for the ATX formfactor, the R2 Midi is unbeatable in it's price range. When it goes on sale, it's a complete no-brainer.

I wouldn't even consider a Corsair case in this price range compared to those two, but I'm not overly fond of the Corsair cases I've seen in person despite the raving reviews they get online. The 330R I bought was returned immediately, it felt and looked incredibly cheap next to the R4. So did the 550D I inspected in person at a Canada Computers vs the R4 before purchasing it. Corsair's rapid case diversification has led to some quality problems, imo.
Why did you sell your R2 Midi if you liked it so much? ;) Also, what made you choose the Define R4? The R2 Midi and R4 seem like similar cases with a few subtle differences with the sound proofing being one of those. They both look pretty good. If I do a new build, I will need a new case and $100 would be the upper limit for me (although ,some of these cases are about $110). Recently, I am comparing the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 (DS1). Are you familiar with that one? It seems like a good candidate, too. So, these are the top 3, imho, for approx $100 cases.

Last edited by fubar; March 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old March 31, 2014, 05:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I almost didn't, actually. I've moved away from ATX to smaller rigs and at the same time into watercooling. The R2 no longer suited my needs as such. I just picked up a TJ08-E to watercool - too bad I didn't keep my previous one that I bought on release...

The Define R4 was never my main rig and houses an entirely different build for me - previously an htpc/server, now just a server, and soon to be moved into my Silverstone DS380 once the motherboard arrives. That means my R4 will be up for grabs in the future.

I don't really know anything about that Nanoxia case, other than a review I hardly recall reading over a year ago. Whether that due to lack of availability here, or disinterest, I really don't remember :).

Old April 3, 2014, 04:28 PM
Top Prospect

I'm looking at mini-ITX cases now or at least the micro ones but a smaller form factor with a closed loop cooler is what I am considering. The space needed, I am not sure about yet but some cases accommodate different measurements of rads so have to be careful. The other intangible are video card lengths but I'll go with integrated graphics to start with and if I really want to game after that, I'll just get a 750 ti - will fit no problem. There's a lot of <$100 cases but I cannot decide on one yet. I have read reviews but there seems to be some issue with them all. I wanted to use an ATX PSU that I have already so have to make sure the case can fit it.

I suppose the CM Elite 130 is the best for under $100 but it sure looks like it's cramped in there when building and I have a modular PSU (150mm) so will that be a problem?

DVD drive/cage can be there or not. If it helps adding a cooler, then I'll leave it out. Some can go on top, though?

I tried comparing cases side-by-side on newegg and I still don't know. LOL.

It's interesting how more and more people are going for the new ITX/SFF systems now. I guess I am not surprised. I've seen Mac desktops, the ones that are the size of a modem. Very appealing, I'm sure.
Old April 3, 2014, 04:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Corsair 250D is one of the nicest cases I have ever owned, and exceptionally easy to build in too.
Old April 3, 2014, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
I'm looking at mini-ITX cases now or at least the micro ones but a smaller form factor with a closed loop cooler is what I am considering. The space needed, I am not sure about yet but some cases accommodate different measurements of rads so have to be careful. The other intangible are video card lengths but I'll go with integrated graphics to start with and if I really want to game after that, I'll just get a 750 ti - will fit no problem. There's a lot of <$100 cases but I cannot decide on one yet. I have read reviews but there seems to be some issue with them all. I wanted to use an ATX PSU that I have already so have to make sure the case can fit it.

I suppose the CM Elite 130 is the best for under $100 but it sure looks like it's cramped in there when building and I have a modular PSU (150mm) so will that be a problem?

DVD drive/cage can be there or not. If it helps adding a cooler, then I'll leave it out. Some can go on top, though?

I tried comparing cases side-by-side on newegg and I still don't know. LOL.

It's interesting how more and more people are going for the new ITX/SFF systems now. I guess I am not surprised. I've seen Mac desktops, the ones that are the size of a modem. Very appealing, I'm sure.
Some people appreciate the smaller footprint. Others appreciate the greater challenge in building in them, as far more thought needs to be put into component selection and cable management. I happen to like both aspects.

I believe in regards to your specific criteria, the Coolermaster 130 may be your best choice indeed. The 250D mentioned above is another viable candidate, but in my opinion, rather large for an ITX system. Any ITX case that accommodates an ATX PSU tends to be, though.