Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2014, 12:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry for the Necro of this thread, but I picked one of the black/red versions of this case up last week.

Sweet mother of all things holy it's easily the best looking case I've ever puchased. The black is almost a matte charcoal and the paint job is as nice on the inside as it is on the outside. I think the only thing I would have wanted as a nice feature would be the HUE lighting feature I have on my Phantom 820, but otherwise I'm madly in love with it.

I can't wait to get my gear into it and set it up on top of my desk, which I'd never do except for Mini-ITX cases. Wowsers. It's so HAWT I'll wear gloves to ensure I don't get finger prints on it.

Also great review on the white version from Dmitry and "showcase" of the black/red version.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 25, 2014, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Huge fan of Dmitry's videos. The camera work is just superb. You really get a good visual sense of the item in question to go with the review.

Provide some photos if you have a chance, 10e! All the reviews have tackled the white/black version. Awhile back I looked for some good shots or videos of the red/black but I only found incredibly poor youtube videos by users that, quite frankly, made the colour scheme look incredibly gaudy.

NZXT's own site seem to have what appear to be renders of the case; no actual photos.

Old May 1, 2014, 08:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I will take some good quality photos of the build process. This is my second build where I'll be water cooling with acrylic tubing, just tossing around the idea of using fittings for 90 degree bends or just heating and bending the tubing for the desired bends. Even though I'm generally not a huge fan of black/red colour schemes this case is just that nice that I will happily do one for it.

Old May 1, 2014, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhLA...latKZ4nyIKcAbg

Some hi rez of the black and red. ...
Old May 2, 2014, 02:54 AM
MVP

Its a nice enough case but the difference i see between it and a 800/900D or a Ethos primos is that either of those cases can bassically be the last case you ever need expandability wise.

This case is nice and dual 360Rad areas should be good enough for any average watercooling build but if you ever decided to go crazy with something like a Trifire setup or something you may be pushing it with just that much rad space.

For me the next case i spend money on i want to be my last "realistically" this case is nearly there if it had been dual 480 rads then id be sold as i cant see ever really needing more then that really any time soon at least.

That and without a CD rom bay you wont be putting in any of the nice fan controllers. relying on mobo controllers witch can be ok for certain boards but ive found in the past some boards such at fan control.

my 2 cents. but it is a nice looking case. to get where im coming from i bought the Antec P280 when it first come out and quickly found hardly any rads actually fit inside the thing even tho it was a fairly roomy case i had alot of fitment problems so never again will i worry about such things.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old May 2, 2014, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There are fan controllers/voltage pcb/PWM pcbs that don't rely on bays, including a version of the Aquaero, so there are certainly alternatives available if you look.

I personally cannot be without a drive slot as I still purchase a lot of physical music and need to be able to rip it, which is why the upcoming FT05 with it's slot-load drive (and no 3.5" bays) is rather appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhLA...latKZ4nyIKcAbg

Some hi rez of the black and red. ...
Thank you!

Old May 2, 2014, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
There are fan controllers/voltage pcb/PWM pcbs that don't rely on bays, including a version of the Aquaero, so there are certainly alternatives available if you look.

I personally cannot be without a drive slot as I still purchase a lot of physical music and need to be able to rip it, which is why the upcoming FT05 with it's slot-load drive (and no 3.5" bays) is rather appealing.

Thank you!
I'm in the same boat WRT ripping CDs, but finally broke down and bought an external ODD enclosure ( http://www.ncix.com/detail/vantec-ns...o-10-86248.htm ) that I can throw any standard 5 1/4 ODD into. I've still got a couple of new ODDs in my tickle trunk, but their days are numbered. Folks are either using USB drives to install stuff, or they're going to use an external.... too many devices these days are doing away with the ODD to cut down on weight.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 2, 2014, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That is an interesting solution. Do you rip securely to FLAC? The current UJ265 slim blu-ray drive I use is abysmally slow in this mode - I'm curious as to how speeds are affected by a standard ODD in the enclosure with the USB interface.

Old May 2, 2014, 10:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
Its a nice enough case but the difference i see between it and a 800/900D or a Ethos primos is that either of those cases can bassically be the last case you ever need expandability wise.

This case is nice and dual 360Rad areas should be good enough for any average watercooling build but if you ever decided to go crazy with something like a Trifire setup or something you may be pushing it with just that much rad space.

For me the next case i spend money on i want to be my last "realistically" this case is nearly there if it had been dual 480 rads then id be sold as i cant see ever really needing more then that really any time soon at least.

That and without a CD rom bay you wont be putting in any of the nice fan controllers. relying on mobo controllers witch can be ok for certain boards but ive found in the past some boards such at fan control.

my 2 cents. but it is a nice looking case. to get where im coming from i bought the Antec P280 when it first come out and quickly found hardly any rads actually fit inside the thing even tho it was a fairly roomy case i had alot of fitment problems so never again will i worry about such things.
800D is ok, but to me the 900D is way too big and expensive and adding an optical makes the front drive bays look lousy with their aluminum face plate design that goes all the way across the bay. I know this from the Corsair 350D I bought, and I'm currently trying to find a way to mod the faceplate, or make a new one to keep it from uglying with an optical installed. I don't understand why Corsair went this way when they don't have this issue with the Mini ITX Obsidian 250D because they've put buttons and LEDS next to each side. Truth-be-told, a Carbide Air 540 is also a lot better looking and nearly as functional as these with all the radiator spaces and great air cooling airflow, and half the price.

The Enthoo Primo (to me) is the best of the bunch, and if I had a desire for such a big case, the upcoming white version would be incredible. I feel it is a more space efficient case, not as big, and just as, or more flexible.

But outside of the Enthoo Primo, having seen all these cases in real life, the H440 both in white and black far outstrips them in the looks department. And I'm not interested in Tri-Fire or Tri SLI even for my 27" Qnix 108mhz 2560x1440 display. XFire or SLI is more than enough for me, and if the next gen adapters get more efficient in power usage per performance, 2x360mm rads with a thinner one up top and a thick one out front should be more than sufficient.

For me the only "forever case" would be the MurderBox II (MBX Xforma). If I wanted to go that big, this would be the forever case that would meet and exceed my fickle tastes

It is just so beautiful and customizable what more could one want?

I've used a Swiftech PWM 8-way splitter on an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX board without issue, and would do so here as well since I generally will only buy PWM fans except for Nidec GTs and Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 because both those fans give best airflow per RPM for me, so fan controller isn't needed.

As for Optical I have a Pioneer BDR-XD04 BR writer that is quieter and nearly as fast as most 5.25 built-in opticals, so I don't need any bays.

For me @ $139.99 plus taxes minus $20.00 rebate, the H440 is incredible, and one of the few cases I've bought the past few years that doesn't need cosmetic mods to get where i want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
That is an interesting solution. Do you rip securely to FLAC? The current UJ265 slim blu-ray drive I use is abysmally slow in this mode - I'm curious as to how speeds are affected by a standard ODD in the enclosure with the USB interface.
I'll check my Pioneer Slim BDR-XD04 on this because I only rip my collection to FLAC.

Old May 2, 2014, 10:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks 10e. Just a note - the distinction between secure ripping of FLAC is an important one. In "Burst" mode on EAC for example, it is not necessarily bit perfect as the but almost always incredibly fast due to the preference of speed, whereas Secure mode will be bit perfect (or as close as possible, depending on imperfections of the disc itself) - which can cause the process to be slower.. and on some drives, painfully slow.

Last edited by Vittra; May 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
h440 , nzxt , ttl oc3d , water cooling