Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2014, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default Cases - mid or full-tower?

I don't know what's going on with cases nowadays. :) But, I'm getting tired of my old one, Antec 300. I want to upgrade the architecture one of these days and maybe (hopefully) carry the case over. So, I was just thinking of replacing the case for now and getting water cooling. Just the cheapos like the CM Seidon 120M which is one of the few that would still fit my cpu/mobo.

Are these new mid-size cases big enough? I see the Fractal and Corsairs get recommended. But, I am not sure. I notice some of the designs have the drive cages facing the builder - I mean, you just slide them in without having to rotate them sideways? I like this design! Am I perceiving that, correctly? :)

See, I don't know anything about it! lol

Can anyone suggest anything? I guess I might receive advice to just wait until I actually upgrade but my case makes a bit of noise and I don't like the huge heatsink - which I still have. Even though, it's not *real* (?) watercooling per se, those Corsairs and CMs make the case look really neat inside. ;) Or at least, make it easier to work with? Maybe the initial assembly is a PITA but when you're done? (I read on newegg reviews, people having trouble with the assembly).

I also want a case with better cable/routing and a CPU cooler backplate motherboard cutout (which I don't have on my current case). All in all, I want something easier to work with and that I could use to upgrade to (maybe). I am looking at 1150 hardware (is that the best upgrade path for me?) and even a simple i5 or i3 Haswell processor would be good. Any upgrade, I'd want to do as cheaply as possible, however, as I can always buy a better cpu later. I still hope to buy an ultrabook one of these days. :)

So, does it sound like an okay idea to get a new case with new cooler? Can these new watercoolers do a reasonable overclock? I think my cpu is slightly overclocked. Last time I checked.

Comments? I welcome (you wrote too much - just wait until you do a real upgrade) posts, too. All opinions welcome.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quite frankly, without making any specific recommendations, I think you'll find that case design has come a long way from the days that you bought your antec 300. Pretty much any case you buy these days in any market segment will have you wondering how you ever built a PC inside it.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 10, 2014, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Whats your budget fore the case/cooler ?

Whats the form factor ( ATX 7 slots ) ??

What's the type off case you like.

EDIT : 120 $ list buys allot

Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 Review

there are some other good cases that have been written up to look at here also.

Last edited by ZZLEE; January 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mid-tower is all you need.

What are your current PC components?
Old January 10, 2014, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Quite frankly, without making any specific recommendations, I think you'll find that case design has come a long way from the days that you bought your antec 300. Pretty much any case you buy these days in any market segment will have you wondering how you ever built a PC inside it.... ;)
I could see that! I noticed that there's way more atypical designs out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Whats your budget fore the case/cooler ?

Whats the form factor ( ATX 7 slots ) ??

What's the type off case you like.

EDIT : 120 $ list buys allot

Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 Review

there are some other good cases that have been written up to look at here also.
That looks good. I guess the form factor would be ATX? I don't know what type I like - lol! I know very little about cases except for the concepts I might prefer. I don't like messing around inside unless it's spacious. I can tell you I despise Antec cases. Haha. Maybe, some have changed but I am not trying a new one. :) They are difficult to work with and have bad designs. I like the concepts now in which you slide the HDDs without rotating them as usual. Also, I like more options or space rather than feeling confined. I will explain.

I looked at pics of the Corsair Carbide Air 540. It looks really weird but it seems to offer a lot of space for a mid-tower? I agree with the review in which they say the 'other' side (or back compartment) got wasted but it still looks easy to work with. I'd like to have water cooling so I would want space for that.

I guess my budget will be about $100? I tried to go cheap before and I think anything less won't get all I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Mid-tower is all you need.

What are your current PC components?
520w modular PSU, 2 HDDs, 1 SDD I hope to buy eventually, discrete gpu, dvd drive, ATX mobo
eventually, a watercooling kit.
I also have at least 'two data HDDs' in enclosures. So, they don't have to go in the case necessarily. I'll need at least three or four SATA ports at min. On my current mobo, I have 6 but these are only SATA 3 capable.

If I upgrade, I will consider micro-ATX mobo.

I read this thread... Corsair Carbide AIR 540 Review Comment Thread and I agreed with everyone who criticized the case as they not only had good points but the flimsy quality coincided with the critiques on the newegg reviews. However, I still like how it looks regarding the space in the main compartment! :)

So, I have no preferences or ideas. I hope someone can make some recommendations still. I guess the Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 (what's the reason this case has such a long name? lol!) seems like the safest bet.
Old January 10, 2014, 03:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

check out the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, i have quite a bit of stuff crammed in there including custom full loop and cross fire Asus 7970 DCII cards, 3 hard drives and an SSD with lots of room to spare for a mid tower