Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New case - need paint!

Hey, I've got an Antec 900 on it's way that I have a lot of plans for. I'm in Toronto and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me a good place to pick up some spray paint for this? I figured Canadian Tire but their selection sucks.

I plan on trying to borrow a dremel off a buddy and cutting cable holes plus making a better home for my PSU etc.. but afterward I would like to paint the inside around a theme I've come up with...

This is my first time modding a case so we'll see how it goes! (although I have a lot of technical painting know how from cars/bikes etc)

Anyways if anyone in Toronto can tip me off that'd be great!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

I used Rust-oleum for mine, from Home Depot.

I went a little crazy though;
Primer, metallic black, black stone, and clear coat, 11 cans on all, $10.49+tax each.

oh man, don't even add that up....
Old April 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I might soften the outer paint in a flat black - depending how the case looks when it gets here but I need a couple cans of black and some orange for the inside.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 30, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BTW: I need some fan filters for this thing - my apartment is dusty as shit for some reason - anyone know where I can pick some up in Toronto or online? Probably going to have to mod the front fans on this to allow for them but thats fine.. any brand/type suggestions? I looked on NCIX but I'm not sure which ones would be best, some look a bit too restrictive on airflow and others don't look like they'd stop dust.
Old April 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I just used some Tremclad semi-gloss black on the inside of mine. Picked it up at Home Depot. Did a fine job, though it does scratch pretty easily when you slide the drive cages in and out.

For fan filters, I cut up a carbon-filter thing from a home air purifier or whatever you want to call it. I then shoved them into the 5.25" drive covers to filter the front fans.
Old April 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I just used some Tremclad semi-gloss black on the inside of mine. Picked it up at Home Depot. Did a fine job, though it does scratch pretty easily when you slide the drive cages in and out.

For fan filters, I cut up a carbon-filter thing from a home air purifier or whatever you want to call it. I then shoved them into the 5.25" drive covers to filter the front fans.
Awesome Idea! Thanks!
Old April 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pictures don't show much, but it shows all the dust and cat hair it's stopped:

I usually just run the vacuum over the front weekly and it cleans it all up.

And if you want to see pictures of the painting: Picasa Web Albums - JD - Antec 900
In those, there were no filters up front, and I now have Noctua NF-P12s in the front instead of the Tri-Cools that came with it. Slowly aiming for near silence...
Old April 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
MVP

Default surface preparation

Surface preparation is the key to a well bonded coating that is much less susceptible to scratches.

1. sand lightly all glossy surfaces. Previously coated metals can be wet sanded with 600 grit and above wet/dry paper.
2. wipe surface clean such that it is free of all dust, moisture and/or grease (even oils from your hands).
3. solvent wipe plastic surfaces.

Apply in thin uniform coats allowing proper drying between coats.
See manufacturers web site for application details and MSDS considerations.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

Good advice bushwhacker.
encorp, you said you’re experienced in painting, but it’s good to mention here for others,
wear a mask, very cheap from CrapTire.
I blackened mine up real good, glad I didn’t breath that in……I’m still alive!

Filters? nylons work well, cheap, and pass air well too.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Pictures don't show much, but it shows all the dust and cat hair it's stopped:

I usually just run the vacuum over the front weekly and it cleans it all up.

And if you want to see pictures of the painting: Picasa Web Albums - JD - Antec 900
In those, there were no filters up front, and I now have Noctua NF-P12s in the front instead of the Tri-Cools that came with it. Slowly aiming for near silence...
Great pics, I'm now searching for some of those filters hehehe, I have a cat and all solid wood floors so dust and hair moves all over the place, it's aweful lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
Surface preparation is the key to a well bonded coating that is much less susceptible to scratches.

1. sand lightly all glossy surfaces. Previously coated metals can be wet sanded with 600 grit and above wet/dry paper.
2. wipe surface clean such that it is free of all dust, moisture and/or grease (even oils from your hands).
3. solvent wipe plastic surfaces.

Apply in thin uniform coats allowing proper drying between coats.
See manufacturers web site for application details and MSDS considerations.
Thanks for the tips, I plan to use a self etching primer as well - is this advised or worth my while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
Good advice bushwhacker.
encorp, you said youíre experienced in painting, but itís good to mention here for others,
wear a mask, very cheap from CrapTire.
I blackened mine up real good, glad I didnít breath that inÖÖIím still alive!

Filters? nylons work well, cheap, and pass air well too.
Yeah I definitely should get a mask - I don't need to breath that crap in!