Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2013, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Default Thor V2 or 750D ? Side panel fan worth it ?

Hey guys !
I'm looking to build my first "gaming" PC. I've build an HTPC like 7 years ago so this would be only my second build.

So I can't decide between the Thor V2 and the 750D. I really like the look of the 750D. It would fit nicely right beside my TV in the living room. But The Thor V2 with these 230mm fans, the fan controller to keep them low and mostly the side panel fan make me hesitate. I can't find any information on how much cooler or more silent the Thor would run. The look of it is 'ok'...

How much of a difference that big side panel fan would make ?

I'm not going to be water cooling (Noctua NH-D14 for the CPU) and no SLI for now.

Last edited by dmegatool; November 22, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old November 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Seeing as it will probably go next to the Telly, I'd go with the Corsair 750D and it's cleaner design. I don't think side blow holes make too much difference. The Thor kinda of looks like a space ship part, when what you probably want is something that looks like home audio gear. Corsair has a few that look like sub woofers and have really good airflow.
Old November 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rookie

At least you can turn off the leds to keep to space ship a little bit less distracting :)

I'll need to mod the front of the 750D though as I'll put a BluRay drive in it. The thing is just ugly with an optical drive installed.
Old November 22, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I would be looking for something smaller and sleeker and quieter for a box living by the TV.

NZXT and fractal do some good designs(in mid/full towers) which are pre-dampened for sound and while they will not provide as much cooling as the above it should be fine unless you rocking seriously hot parts and pushing them very hard.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
Rookie

I've looked at the Define R2 XL, it's cool. NZXT are way too angular for my taste.
Old November 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Have you taken a look at the Silverstone Grandia GD05B? It's only Micro-ATX but you're not planning on SLI or having a radiator. It can hold a full size video card up to 11" and it looks like it would fit well in an entertainment center.
Old November 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I've looked at the Define R2 XL, it's cool. NZXT are way too angular for my taste.
Not all of them:
NZXT H630 Silent Full Tower Case Review

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 22, 2013, 05:41 PM
Rookie

There's some kind of angles on the top, I don't like :P Seriously it's clean, nice suggestion. Think I'm starting to dig the Define r2 XL more and more...

The Silverstone Grandia GD05B does look nice. But there's not enough space/expension in there.My uglier HTPC is the same kind of case and can't wait to be able do some cable management. So easy to be such a mess in those small cases :)