Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
But that's not the market he's shooting for with this particular case... there are folks (like myself) who want a case that's just large enough to fit a mITX motherboard with a little bit of extra room to be able to shoehorn a couple of ssds to side of it... that's it. If the M350 case I've got coming in doesn't do the trick there's a very good chance I'll grab one of these.
I know.. But people like myself want a small case like this which can fit a couple of 3.5" hdds. But then again .. I could be a good reason to completely redo the entire setup I have and create a server in another room.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I like this one, I do have 4 3.5" drives but I'm considering a NAS for them as much to clean up the inside of my rig. I do love small cases but I'm for what I'm planning I'm having to look 900D or STH10 size. Might be an interesting idea for the wifes PC though.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey Lone. curious about the designs of case feet you've got going on.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:02 AM
Allstar

Hello Lone,

I'm a pretty big mitx enthusiast (I've ONLY ever used mitx systems for myself). Your case is definitely interesting. Unfortunately, interesting to some by 'definition' means horrible to others. I would argue that people who are looking for mitx NASes have been catered to for a LONG time now; keep on doing these super-small formfactors - people like me who don't need storage or GPU power are severely underserved. ;)

sidenote: the NUC is the ideal candidate for no-storage, no-GPU users except for the lack of expandability. you MUST upsize to mitx if you need a socket.

just a couple of questions:

1. what does it look like with a complete build? I can't find the PSU in your OP.

2. how is the airflow for overclocking?

3. will you consider different sidepanels? with windows, optimized for ventilation, etc.

just some comments:

maybe put up a sample build guide? (I didn't notice one) It helps keeps people's expectations in line.

I am perfectly fine with your pricing so far. you should EXPECT to pay more for more unique formfactors (both small and large).
Old November 1, 2013, 02:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE View Post
Thanks!

I may do a larger one someday. I have a few customers using the Sapphire HD 7750 Low Profile in this case. I don't know much about gaming GPUs, but from what I've been told, this appears to be about the most that you can safely run on a picoPSU-160-XT.
Yea, this is my point.. The options for mitx are very limiting either in they are too big but provide the features or too small and don't.. If you could hit that middle ground then your on a winner with a bigger market.

If I was building an Mitx system I would want support for:

good cooling, maybe a corsair H100 or similar on top/side with a 120mm intake at the bottom.
Reasonable psu.. Doesn't have to be big but a more readily available size would be good. At least 500w.
Enthusiast GPU.

I didn't see the hdd / ssd in the pics or the bracket for it, if there is room for 2 drives, thats plenty for a small build.

I know with a bigger psu and the h100 it will make this bigger but the point I'm trying to make is, If you can make the smallest chasis you can possible while fitting x y or z levels of hardware, you'll be on to a real winner.

As said above by a few people, a hand made, bespoke design, clean lines, and as small as possible (for their needs) should see a reasonable demand.

As for improvements that you could charge extra for... What about custom finishes in paint / trim? truely bespoke design and you can put lots of detail and charge accordingly (if your into that.. this is your hobby after all)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
Hey Lone. curious about the designs of case feet you've got going on.
Nothing special, just various sizes of 3M polyurethane stick-on feet. I went with something inexpensive, and off-the-shelf to the price of the case down.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Hello Lone,

I'm a pretty big mitx enthusiast (I've ONLY ever used mitx systems for myself). Your case is definitely interesting. Unfortunately, interesting to some by 'definition' means horrible to others. I would argue that people who are looking for mitx NASes have been catered to for a LONG time now; keep on doing these super-small formfactors - people like me who don't need storage or GPU power are severely underserved. ;)

sidenote: the NUC is the ideal candidate for no-storage, no-GPU users except for the lack of expandability. you MUST upsize to mitx if you need a socket.

just a couple of questions:

1. what does it look like with a complete build? I can't find the PSU in your OP.

2. how is the airflow for overclocking?

3. will you consider different sidepanels? with windows, optimized for ventilation, etc.

just some comments:

maybe put up a sample build guide? (I didn't notice one) It helps keeps people's expectations in line.

I am perfectly fine with your pricing so far. you should EXPECT to pay more for more unique formfactors (both small and large).
1. The PSU used is a picoPSU. They don't seem to be very well known on this forum?

2. I can't really comment on overclocking, but the airflow should be able to cool anything that the picoPSU will power.

3. Some others who have purchased the case have said they'd like a vented side panel, so I am hoping to make some available in the future. I'd personally like an acrylic side panel, but not something I've been able to spend any time looking into yet.

Thank you for your suggestions. I need to improve information and photos on my site. Most the information is lost in forum posts over at hardforum.com, or silentpcreview.com.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE View Post
1. The PSU used is a picoPSU. They don't seem to be very well known on this forum?

2. I can't really comment on overclocking, but the airflow should be able to cool anything that the picoPSU will power.

3. Some others who have purchased the case have said they'd like a vented side panel, so I am hoping to make some available in the future. I'd personally like an acrylic side panel, but not something I've been able to spend any time looking into yet.

Thank you for your suggestions. I need to improve information and photos on my site. Most the information is lost in forum posts over at hardforum.com, or silentpcreview.com.
PICOs are quite well known. Its just the majority of the people on this site require more power than they can supply.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I didn't see the hdd / ssd in the pics or the bracket for it, if there is room for 2 drives, thats plenty for a small build.
In the first post, there's some images where you can see the ssd/hdd bracket (black) at the front of the case.

Quote:
I know with a bigger psu and the h100 it will make this bigger but the point I'm trying to make is, If you can make the smallest chasis you can possible while fitting x y or z levels of hardware, you'll be on to a real winner.

As said above by a few people, a hand made, bespoke design, clean lines, and as small as possible (for their needs) should see a reasonable demand.
I'm not sure what the current project status is, but there is a project more along these lines: Compact Splash

There's also the NCASE M1 project, which is very small, but fits more powerful components.

Quote:
As for improvements that you could charge extra for... What about custom finishes in paint / trim? truely bespoke design and you can put lots of detail and charge accordingly (if your into that.. this is your hobby after all)
I'm currently having someone else powder coat the cases, but I'd like to look into finishing them myself so I could do custom colours. Not sure if it's worth the investment though. Black and white are pretty popular (maybe because that's all anyone offers?!). :)
Old November 1, 2013, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There are lots of colors of powder coat available, it may be worthwhile checking interest on a couple of other colors. Powder Coatings pick a red, blue, and maybe an orange like NZXT? Your coating guy probably stocks some anyways.

Don't be discouraged by some of the previous feedback, this site is heavily weighted with gamers so they are looking for something capable of putting a bigger PSU and GPU into rather than the smallest footprint possible. Have you thought about a adapting the L1 into a NUC case? I think there will be some demand there as they get more popular. Intel NUC Case Competition Voting | bit-tech.net

Tags
lone , mini-itx , picopsu