Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
Rookie

You can't compare the Prodigy to real Mini-itx cases because compared to them it is MASSIVE. The prodigy has micro atx dimensions (thats why the "Prodigy M" exists). Companies like eVGA are beginning to realize that the current set of mini-itx cases doesn't cater to the crowd that wants a truly compact gaming PC. What this crowd wants, is a case similar to fnw tiki, ds bolt, or ibp revolt (something small that can fit a full size gpu, not a massive-albiet sexy-bitfenix prodigy). Hopefully more of these small gaming cases come out with lower prices and better quality. I'm tempted to buy one of these and modify it just because it is actually small and would save me the hassle of fabricating what I really want - if it was 50 dollars cheaper and didn't have the aforementioned paint issues it would be a guaranteed buy for me. Cable management is basically a moot point in a true SFF case, but I understand that most of the complaints actually stem from the premium price point.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaristot View Post
Cable management is basically a moot point in a true SFF case, but I understand that most of the complaints actually stem from the premium price point.
are you saying that cable management is easy in a REAL mitx case?
Old October 30, 2013, 03:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post

Sure, because there aren't any PSU cables to worry about, and beyond that it's just point A to point B for the other cables and doubling them up on themselves the best you can.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I'm saying that aesthetically pleasing cable management is difficult by nature in real SFF cases because they don't have space for a "cable management system" since cable management = extra space. Once you add that extra space for your cable management system now you are losing the size game because you increased your dimensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sure, because there aren't any PSU cables to worry about, and beyond that it's just point A to point B for the other cables and doubling them up on themselves the best you can.
I agree with this - normal cable management in a small case is all about temperature and actually fitting everything you want inside. Anyone who wants to make a good looking system in a tiny case is probably going to get custom small cables or modify the existing ones anyway - hence no need for a cable management system.

Last edited by pcaristot; October 30, 2013 at 09:29 AM.