Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

I still prefer the Fractal Node 304 better. It can use a full power supply and has room for 6 hard drives. I can't say what the max size video card that could fit but it also has 2 front fans a 1 fan on the rear at 120mm.

Sorry EVGA this case is a fail.
Old September 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

wow, at 189 dollars they don't paint the case's insides...

and use sticky tape to cover up the grey....wouldn't the labour to cut and stick that stuff cost more than the extra 5 minutes in the booth?

nice try for the first go around but ya like everyone else here said, the prodigy is the better case.
Old September 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
Top Prospect

Very nice review and thanks for putting it up as you answered many questions that I had. For me presonally I would like to change to mini ITX soon, but after this reviw then I think that I will pass on this one - maybe wait for the watercooled version and see how that does. For such a premium price and some *flaws* like paint job etc. then for me its not worth the price just yet.
Old September 16, 2013, 12:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Still not nearly as good as the Prodigy IMHO.

I like the exterior, but the build quality is disappointing, and the use of a semi-custom form factor PSU is a bit of an issue to me. Often times those server-type PSUs are not on the quiet side.

I also didn't like the difficulty in shoving a slightly larger video card in with the lack of a cut-out in the PCI slot panel area, which seems like a fairly large oversight.

Having also seen pictures of the Hadron Hydro, it seems to have somewhat awkward proportions with the extra radiator height in the top. It looks too thin and tippy.

Many think the Prodigy is a large M-ITX case, but if you remove the handles, it is actually a pretty good size, and it fits a lot of gear in there. I just wish I could find a replacement for the handles that covers up the exposed slots and grooves underneath.

The Hadron by comparison seems to be a strange, windowed little case, where the built-in cable mgmt is completely non-existent.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old September 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

It actually looks great on the outside, but that's not the only thing that matters. Pass!
Old September 19, 2013, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I like the Hadron's size as I found the Bitfenix to be a lot bigger than I thought. The build quality vs price of the Hadron is disappointing though.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
I like the Hadron's size as I found the Bitfenix to be a lot bigger than I thought. The build quality vs price of the Hadron is disappointing though.
Almost anything out the door on the first try with EVGA (minus their cards) is questionable. Their over rated PSU was another prime example. The good thing about EVGA though is they learn quickly enough, as the next gen they had for PSU's were much improved.

Hopefully they can figure this out with the case side of the market too.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 29, 2013, 08:22 AM
Trial Member

My System Specs

I wanna see the Evga Hadron Hydro, that might be what evga didn't cheap out on.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
Sorry for the late bump, but removing the Prodigy's handles puts into perspective how small a case it really is, and how space efficient the internals are.

I'm currently looking to Dremel/saw mod the handles to make them "strips", because just removing them exposes grooves/slots, and screws and ruins the look.

Barring that I've pre-ordered the Phenom Mini-ITX which hopefully addresses this in asthetics and will eventually see some windowed side panel action post-release like the Prodigy.

I have a passing interest in the Hadron Hydro but not for this price.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old October 10, 2013, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yep the Phenom looks good. I'm surprised that the Prodigy is pretty much unchallenged even until now in the mini-ITX department though. CM has their Elite and Fractal has their Node and Lian Li has one of their mini-ITX box but Prodigy hits the sweet spot of features/price.

I got exited when I saw the Xigmatek Aquila but apparently that one is micro-ATX not mini-ITX. Also I believe Enermax is releasing something similar.