Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2013, 10:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Made My Choice - Couldn't Buy It

Oh bother - for those who have read my saga of choosing a new case I'd like to say I finally made up my mind. It was a toss up between the Fractal Define R4, Antec Eleven Hundred and Antec P280. In the end I decided on the P280.

Then i put my order together over at Memory Express. Added a couple of fans and fan splitter cables, a USB 3.0 card reader and few other items.

Then I tried to Check Out. Now I've been shopping at Memory Express for a while and more recently bought a new CM Trigger keyboard and a Logitech G13 - only a month ago. BUT now they will not ship to my post office box. Nor any other post office box. Even in town at the office our mail comes to a "postal bag" - same as a box only bigger and softer - yep big canvas bag of mail. But the days of door to door delivery in rural and small town Alberta are gone.

I've had this same problem trying to buy from Newegg.ca and a few others. But now Memory Express has just shut the door on all rural and small town on-line shoppers. WHY?

I sent a ranting email to them - will post the reply if I get one.

I can buy the Antec P280 from Bestbuy.ca which I think will ship to me. But it was too late to call their customer service - have to call them up to get a price match. They ship for free - and when I went through the motions on their check out it seems like they will ship to my post office box.

I am heading into the city (Edmonton) next week, so I could stop into Memory Express and shop in person but I only make that trip a few time per year (it's three hours).

Having spent so much time deciding on the right case for me - I was just so put off by the dead end I ran into at the checkout page.

Oh well - time to change my mind - or not.

If I do wait I guess I can actually see the case in person - always a bonus. Then there is no dings in shipping to worry about.

ANYway - anyone want to suggest I change my mind and go for either the R4 or the Eleven Hundred instead of the P280? The other two have windows which means LED's to show off the interior :) but I like the door on the P280 and the room in it (three 5.25's instead of two) and over the 1100 the P280 can take more than just two SSD's (I already have two might get a third to load just my games onto).

Sigh. . . .

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old September 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Would have went the R$ myself but then cases are very subjective...

Can't you just put in your home address and then the PO will put it in your bag?

SSD's will fit any 3.5" bay with an adapter or you can simply tape it in somewhere out of the way..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 11, 2013, 07:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Why R4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Would have went the R$ myself but then cases are very subjective...

Can't you just put in your home address and then the PO will put it in your bag?

SSD's will fit any 3.5" bay with an adapter or you can simply tape it in somewhere out of the way..
It was really a close call between these three. Why does the R4 come to the top of your list? I have not yet pulled the trigger because of the shipping problem so could still change my mind. A red LED glow at my feet might be a nice touch.

R4 Pro's include the window and it is smaller but heavier so either heavier steel or more and better sound proofing - or both. But only offers two 5.25 bays. The modular drive bays are also nice. Fan controls are on the front not the back.

The P280 offers three 5.25 bays and has the door that opens 270. But no window. My wife thinks it looks better.

As for the SSD's - that's only an issue with the Eleven Hundred which uses an odd 'tray' for the 3.25 drive bays - it's two separate clips that go on either side of the drive itself - you can't put a SSD into there drive bays - really unfortunate - several reviewers pointed this out. And yes, it could be mounted with two sided tape or velcro to say the back panel - or one could make some sort of tray that would fit.

AS for shipping - the P.O. wants the Box number in the address. I do have a street address and maybe if I put that as line one in my address label it will work - but then I'd have to change the address on my credit card as they must match - but worth looking into - MemEx is looking into the problem.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old September 11, 2013, 07:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Memory Express sent me back and email saying they will look into this change, according to the rep who emailed me they did not intend to stop shipping to post office boxes. Will keep you posted.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old September 11, 2013, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Memory Express sent me back and email saying they will look into this change, according to the rep who emailed me they did not intend to stop shipping to post office boxes. Will keep you posted.
Yeah, that seemed strange. The no PO box issue usually only comes up with special shipping deals as courier services will not deal with a PO box.

I'm surprised that newegg doesn't have the option to ship via CP which again would be the only reason why a PO box wouldn't be an option unless it was tied to a special rate for courier service.

That said.... Do any of the couriers have to-the-door service in your area? If so, I'm pretty sure there are ways around the billing address vrs delivery address issue.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

If you pay with Visa they don't allow shipping to P.O. Boxes. It's probably not MemEx's fault. I bet they got spanked by their CC company. If this is the case then maybe you could arrange payment by some other means.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
If you pay with Visa they don't allow shipping to P.O. Boxes. It's probably not MemEx's fault. I bet they got spanked by their CC company. If this is the case then maybe you could arrange payment by some other means.
I ran into something similar on my last posting to Shearwater (Halifax), but it wasn't an issue where Visa wouldn't allow it, it's an issue with shipping address vrs billing address. There was just an extra hoop (or two) to jump through in order to verify that the purchaser is the legitimate Visa owner (Verified Visa comes to mind). If you think of it in practical terms.... how many transactions would Visa lose if they wouldn't allow a CP shipment to a PO box? Rural folks are probably a lot more likely to make use of e-tailors.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up All's Well - order processed - R$ on it's way

Well things got sorted out and today I was able to place my order. They said the problem was not replicated on their system and asked that I try again - I did and there was no problem - ? ? ? .

And I did flip flop again and went for . . .

The R4 - Titanium Window version. That last recommendation and deciding I would like the window pushed me over from the Antec P280.

And it will have a red glow in the box courtesy of four Cooler Master red LED fans.

So now to wait for the big box to arrive.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig

Last edited by fortkentdad; September 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: picture link didn't work
Old September 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default How many RED LED Fans do I need

Of course need is a very subjective word.

I want a nice warm red glow coming out the window of my new R4 Case.
I ordered four
120 mm R4 Cooler Master

Hmm CM R4 fans in an R4 case - coincidence or not?

Memory Express priced matched two only, so four for $27.38 or $6.48 each.

I could order two more tomorrow at $3.70 each plus $4.99 shipping = $6.19 each.

Four or Six - that's a 50% increase in red-glowness for $12.39 This would not increase the number of fans in the case as I'll be using some of my existing case fans to max out the number of fans this box supports (6). Two top, two front (140's) a bottom and a back. The other two fans are for the CPU cooler.

I'm looking at using the two 140mm that come with the case. I'm hoping I can move the rear 140 up to the front so I have a pair of FD 140mm pushing air in. I'm buying two CM Red LED 120's for the CPU cooler (I can use a Y spitter on my CPU fan I hope) putting two CM Red 120's on top and then either salvaging two of my Scythe fans in my current rig or should I buy two more CM Red's - these would go on the bottom and rear intake.

For control I'm going to use the ASUS Fan Xpert on my mobo. It can control three pin fans and has four four/three pin ports on the mobo, one is CPU and three cases. Using Y splitters I can put two CPU fans on one, the two top on another and the bottom and back on the third. The front 140's would be controlled by the case's built in fan controller.

I suppose I could just wait and see what it looks like. . . .

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig