Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2013, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default BitFenix vs Zalman

Looking at upgrading from my generic no-name case to something that will hold my new graphic card - when I get another few hundred set aside in my fun money account. Could get the card now but the HD7950 won't fit into my current case - 260 mm max length just don't cut it.

I also have a USB 3.0 header on my motherboard (ASUS F2-A85M-Pro) but nothing connected to it. Not that I have any USB 3.0 gizmos - yet.

What I'm thinking though is to get a USB 3.0 card reader so that it will read my SD cards 10x faster than the USB 2.0 card reader I have now. There are a few on the market, $25-29 and they include a USB 3.0 port. SO I don't need a USB 3.0 on the front panel and since I only have one USB 3.0 header I'd have to decide between the card reader and the front panel USB 3.0's anyway. (unless there is an easy way to route the USB 3.0 internal cables through the box to on of the 4 unused UBS 3.0 ports on the back of my PC.

Looking at the various cases two seems to have caught my eye - today :)

The Valman Z9+ and the BitFenix Ghost - both are about $69 / $65. The Z9 + lights up cool blue, the Ghost does come with front panel USB 3.0 but the cables can be connected to USB 2.0 (or I could figure out how to connect to my back panel as I said above). But the Ghost is more descrete - has a door, sound-deadening features and hot swap compartment on the top. BUT I did read some un-happy Ghost customer complains about the cables being too short to reach the USB ports on the motherboard (mine is a mATX so I'm thinking that might not be an issue but ???. Anyone build a system with a Ghost?

I also was impressed by Linus's review of the NZXT Tempest ($80 as of tomorrow, missed the sale). But he has some good stuff to say about the Tempest. It is back ordered at NCIX right now, Newegg.ca has one but wants $36 to ship it to me, I don't think so. Memory Express doesn't carry it.

Any advice to a first time case purchaser?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old September 3, 2013, 11:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My advice, Don't just look up unboxings, Check out Build reviews on youtube. I've bought probably 20+ cases over the years for myself and others. I always like to see build reviews, i watch many of them to see what people are finding out about these cases.
Old September 3, 2013, 11:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Found NZXT products at Best Buy and Tigerdirect.ca - both offered good prices.

Will have to look for more build reviews - I want something I'll be happy with, that looks good, and adds value for my money.

Or as my wife says - its a steel box with a fan or two, how complicated can it be?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old September 3, 2013, 11:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Haha. Tell her next time she goes shoe shopping that its just a foot cover what does it matter!

Remember NCIX has price match. I recommend them. NZXT has stepped up their game recently. Check out Corsair and Cooler Master also if you're still not set on a brand. they offer some nice value cases.

There are also lots of case reviews right here on HWC also.
Old September 4, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not used the Ghost but have built in the Survivor.. Decent features and solid case.. 200mm fans are whisper quiet.
Have a NZXT P630 myself, great to build in. Good features, good fans and build quality is pretty high.
They have some smaller, cheaper versions of the case and also the H line which have sound dampening.

On the card reader and USB 3.0, it really depends on your SD card. If the card can transfer data faster than USB2 then it's worth doing. if not then.. well, it's not..

Also worth a look are Fractal cases.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"