Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default I'm in the market for a case

Actually I need two.

I'm growing tired of looking at my mismatched towers next to each other. I currently have an Antec 900 which I've always thought to be ugly but it's functional, and an Antec 300 that more or less matched the functionality I was looking for, at a better price, and not ugly.

But they don't look right side by side, so it's time to look for a pair of new cases. I've recently had the pleasure of building a system for someone using an Arc Mini, and to be honest, I liked everything about it for the price.

The complete black finish, matching black screws individually bagged, clean lines, dust filters, and the cable management ports on the mobo tray, I very much liked.

So I'm looking at a pair of the slightly Arc Midi. The corsair 300R has come across as a possible option, but I'm not sure about the hard drive trays in it so I think it's a pass on that one.

Though I'd ask if anyone might have any suggestions before I go ahead and pull the trigger on the Arc. I've been shopping around newegg and want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything

These are the criteria I'm looking for

psu must be bottom mounted
front usb 3.0 is a must, I've passed it over long enough
no screwless stuff, at least not as long as screws aren't optional
some means of cable management
simple clean lines, i'm not interested in having my system look like battlestar galactica, just not my thing
Old August 26, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

What's your budget?
watercooling or aircooling?
Fractal's are really nice cases, the Arc midi 2 is an awesome case, I have the define r4 if ur looking for silence, I can't hear a thing honestly..
Corsair do have nice cases too, all depends on the budget.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 26, 2013, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I guess I should have stated budget.

I'm looking for 2 cases, I don't want to spend much more than 250 all said and done, so that's about 115$ per case and the Arc just fits my budget

I'm on air cooling, don't have any immediate plans to change that.

As for the Define, I'm not interested in cases with doors on the front, they just annoy me, so that one is out.

If anything in terms of corsair cases I'd probably be looking at the 400R since it's right in the price range and has the features. But I'm not sure how I feel about the screwless drive trays, it also seems to last dust filters and I'm not sure how I feel about the hump it has on top, though it does have the usb ports on the front with makes them a little more accessible for me

The dust filters in the Arc are kind of a big thing, I live in a basement, dust collects on the front of my cases in a matter of hours it seems, so having filters to keep my fans from changing color is really a big selling point. I know they'll restrict airflow to some degree, but I can turn the fans up a little, some noise isn't a big issue for me since I can just turn the volume up on the speakers
Old August 26, 2013, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

why don't you just go for another Antec 300? Get a long extension cable from a USB port in the back and make it to a small external USB 3.0 hub, like newegg item N82E16817182212?
I have to admit however that neither have great cable management, they are both a horror to that chapter. And what about Corsair Obsidian 350D? That one looks nice.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The 350D is MicroATX, I'm running ATX boards, otherwise the 350D would be nice

I thought about getting another Antec 300, but replacing a 900 with a 300 is well, you know. Also pondered another 900 with USB 3.0, but for the price, there's better cases. Then, I've also had these cases for a while, and to be honest, I'd kind of like a change, and after building a system for a friend recently in the Arc Mini, I really like what the larger Arc Midi has to offer and wanted to shop around to see what other offerings meet all the same things I like about the Arc, but so far, the Arc really seems to be the best bet all around for what I'm looking for
Old August 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
Rookie

I have an Arc Midi R2 for my media PC because I wanted something quiet, and I really like it. It's an easy build, and looks good. It's on sale for $80 at NCIX this week, which is a great deal in my opinion.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Arc Midi R2 my original vote, I really like this case, and it's filtered all around (although I may be eating my words, not sure if it's filtered on the top, but you could buy 2 dust filters, they are cheap anyway).
Also the airflow isn't all that restricted on the front, they've made it even easier to remove the dust filters with a push pin front mesh. I had the R1 of the Arc Midi, the R2 is even better.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 27, 2013, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well I just ordered two Arc Midi's for my desktops. they should be here by friday, so friday morning when I get off work, I can start building :D, after I have coffee of course, and perhaps a morning beer
Old August 27, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Great choice! Can't beat Fractals quality for the price point! I really wish they had a few more designs.
Old August 27, 2013, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I can't wait to get them together on friday....though I'm not looking forward to dusting off all my components during the swap, and then cleaning out the old cases to sell, speaking of which, I'll have to figure out what to sell them for....baby steps...