Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2013, 02:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
It's hard for me to imagine a practical benefit to this system. So far, I've come up with:

- the ability to add storage capacity to a NAS system
- isolated hard drives in a NAS/HTPC hybrid
- isolated water cooling chamber
Pretty much it, but I see a market for it. Once some folks start being creative with some wicked watercooling loops (and some RAID arrays, etc) I can see people being convinced to pick this up.

Not sure its for me as I like clean lines though. I have a HAF and it was at the edge of what I can stand (in a 'busy' design). Still waiting for a professional review or two so that we can get some details on how well the various components fit, the quality of the parts, ease of use, etc.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's a great idea and concept. The modularity is fantastic, especially since everything is screwed down and not riveted.

The only problem I have with it is looks. I'm much more a fan of minimalism than the bulky HAF look, and I suppose I was hoping for more of a clean look that what is present here.

Love the concept, not a fan of the execution.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 10, 2013, 04:15 PM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Cant say that I am overly enthused either....but lets all withhold judgement until it lands. Maybe it isnt a 'design by committee' case that it looks to be in the rather poor pictures. Maybe only by seeing it person will its true brilliance shine through. IMHO CM at least deserve that much as they have made some very good cases in the past! BUT so far...I'm not seeing who this case has been designed with in mind. Any ideas? As I am at a loss and cant go "man this case is PERFECT for....." Maybe Mr HAF can break it on down for us? :)

EDIT:

And too be fair...the 915 part...DOES look interesting. Though it is hard to tell by the pics how big it is. A GOOD m-itx case that is big enough to get the job done ....but not too big (ie Prodigy) would be nice. :)
Our focus groups were water coolers, distributed computing buffs, AV/media professionals, SFF enthusiasts and traditional DIY users.

One of the unique behaviors we discovered in our research is that PC hardware, despite Moore's law is hardly ever destroyed during upgrades. PC users would tell us they would go to a retail store, buy the latest CPU and GPU every six months, clean install all their hardware and add everything from their past 4 systems into the latest one.

We observed another even more interesting behavior. PC users would take their old hardware, and like cellular division, build another new PC. We found this especially true of platform upgrades such as 775 to 1155. The CPU would go into a new high end MITX from the last generation, and the new platform would become the new PC. So every upgrade cycle of 6 months you would have 1-2 PC's or one really large legacy PC.

HAF Stacker answers the needs of these two behaviors. It has ample capacity for new hardware within the HAF 935 and beyond. It also can easily hold two entirely different systems.

Other uses we surveyed during development were:
- Client/server like DAY Z server
- PC density projects like mining, or distributed computing
- Common use rooms, like bedrooms shared with siblings
- Consolidation, where a base PC is used for home use, and a MITX LAN PC is integrated
- Extreme water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I think it's a great idea and concept. The modularity is fantastic, especially since everything is screwed down and not riveted.

The only problem I have with it is looks. I'm much more a fan of minimalism than the bulky HAF look, and I suppose I was hoping for more of a clean look that what is present here.

Love the concept, not a fan of the execution.
Our HAF Stacker system is designed for modularity the specific design was for a reason. One thing about the PC industry is that ATX standard are a series of cubes, flat planar areas and rectangles. When you do a PC chassis, the so called minimalistic look fails to have an iconic profile or characteristic. A black cube or rectangle is just that.

With the HAF Stacker we used the least amount of plastic and played with the angles to break up the boxy look. This also has a function because when the chassis are interleaved, the front angle allows you to have a grip on the chassis to dismount it.

When the chassis are attached, they function as one complete space, it also solves the issue that people find when their water cooling exceeds their physical space. Since HAF Stacker is an ecosystem, this first step represents a huge potential for future development that we have planned.

If you purchase the full tower version HAF 935, you have 2 stacking units included. The HAF 935 full tower would be $169.99 and the MITX HAF 915 will be $69.99 each.

Last edited by CM MR HAF; September 10, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old September 13, 2013, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

some build by CM