Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2013, 09:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NZXT Phantom 530 Review Comment Thread

The Phantom 530 is NZXT's modern day follow-up to the original Phantom, one of the most distinctive cases ever released. This new version packs in even more features and may single handedly redefine full tower prices.

Read more here: NZXT Phantom 530 Review
Old August 21, 2013, 01:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Nice review as always Dimitry! I agree with you that the front panel does need to be redone to help with air intake.

Last edited by hero1; August 21, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

The review was from Dimitry between! :p
NZXT make nice cases, really except for their angular designs, but why are they totally screwing up with the front panel portion. You build a case like that so cheap, folks are definitely going to watercool, and putting a radiator in the front panel is just a no-no with the airflow problem. On the plus side $120 for this, that's a hek of a price.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Whoops! I guess it's off day for me! Darn it!
Old August 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You are not going to see a huge issue with water cooling the case and the front panel . The fans will pull enough air through the front mesh to cool the system down correctly.

You need to remember not all users water cool. Its about 1% of the market that does. So for the every day user the front panel will work for them. We try to appeal to everyone.
Old August 23, 2013, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes but a small alteration would go a long way. :)

For example.. I have the P630...

The Back IO led's are on some kind of digital switch and turn on when I start the system... this is annoying. If I wanted a night-light I'd have gotten the 820.
The HDD caddies apart from being a lil flimsy(the older ones) are a PITA. terrible, terrible design.
I like that I can take the sides off easily.. I just wish the top and bottom of the panel was actually attached, My 24 pin has a kink I just can't get out and is causing the side to be slightly misaligned.
The grommeted cut-outs are too close to the side of the board, Cannot use them for my Sata3 or USB3 ports.
Top panel plastic is a bit flimsy.. maybe add a stiffener? though this one is really nit-picking
Thumb screws for the expansion slots would go a long long way.

What would be REALLLY good is if there were a way to lay-out the top so that in addition to the 200mm fan you could fit a 120mm rad (thinking AIO's) though this might mean replacing the fan with a ~180mm instead

Something I feel the market needs and I think NZXT could excel at is much better Front I/O design. it's very overlooked and hard to get right but I think that with the range of cases you have in the various styles and features..
A well thought-out front I/O would give you a massive advantage over corsair, CM, Fractal, bitfinx etc.

Things like the back IO light are great great idea's.. We want more.. keep it coming. and maybe try a larger beta to see what people think of how your implementing things..
again with the light as an example, an on or off button or off by default/choice would have helped the implementation a massive amount.

P.S, I hope you see this for what it is... Constructive criticism. I love the case but there is always room to improve and the more NZXT do the bigger their market share will get. Keep up the good work.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old August 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Yes but a small alteration would go a long way. :)

For example.. I have the P630...

The Back IO led's are on some kind of digital switch and turn on when I start the system... this is annoying. If I wanted a night-light I'd have gotten the 820.
The HDD caddies apart from being a lil flimsy(the older ones) are a PITA. terrible, terrible design.
I like that I can take the sides off easily.. I just wish the top and bottom of the panel was actually attached, My 24 pin has a kink I just can't get out and is causing the side to be slightly misaligned.
The grommeted cut-outs are too close to the side of the board, Cannot use them for my Sata3 or USB3 ports.
Top panel plastic is a bit flimsy.. maybe add a stiffener? though this one is really nit-picking
Thumb screws for the expansion slots would go a long long way.

What would be REALLLY good is if there were a way to lay-out the top so that in addition to the 200mm fan you could fit a 120mm rad (thinking AIO's) though this might mean replacing the fan with a ~180mm instead

Something I feel the market needs and I think NZXT could excel at is much better Front I/O design. it's very overlooked and hard to get right but I think that with the range of cases you have in the various styles and features..
A well thought-out front I/O would give you a massive advantage over corsair, CM, Fractal, bitfinx etc.

Things like the back IO light are great great idea's.. We want more.. keep it coming. and maybe try a larger beta to see what people think of how your implementing things..
again with the light as an example, an on or off button or off by default/choice would have helped the implementation a massive amount.

P.S, I hope you see this for what it is... Constructive criticism. I love the case but there is always room to improve and the more NZXT do the bigger their market share will get. Keep up the good work.

I take it all as that, Constructive Criticism. All I can do is provide the feed back, to the design team and we can try to work on it. I think you guys will like some of the newer stuff coming out down the line. I sure do.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Eric I get you on the watercooling, but like Dzzope says, the front I/O design needs revision, I personally think the whole front panel could be re-designed. I know you're trying to make the case look cool, but all the that plastic.. You really only need a door for the 5 1/4" bays. Also a good clean side panel window would be nice, not many people out there who even utilize a fan.

On the plus side, the extra space up-top for a push/pull rad setup is awesome. The price for the case and potential is just unlimited, no brainer.. give u that!
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 28, 2013, 03:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Trust me I under stand... You can always remove the door. :D..
Old September 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
Rookie

That's a slick looking case.