Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2013, 01:26 AM
MVP

After seeing this case, the idea of installing passively-cooled and air-cooled components in the same enclosure (compartment) seems more stupid than ever before.

Solvable problems such as the PSU filter aren't real problems. They're just an extra cost, time and effort. Same thing for the unused space in the back chamber. Maybe it can be modded to house another two 3.5" bays.

The flimsy side panel, and lack of a proper roof seal is the deal breaker for someone looking to build a quite, air-cooled rig.

I want Corsair to take another -better- go at it, before someone else does and takes my money :p

As for the video review, it was perfection. Can't thank you guys enough.

Last edited by Luay79; August 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
After seeing this case, the idea of installing passively-cooled and air-cooled components in the same enclosure seems more stupid than ever before.

Solvable problems such as the PSU filter aren't real problems. They're just an extra cost, time and effort. Same thing for the unused space in the back chamber. Maybe it can be modded to house another two 3.5" bays.

The flimsy side panel, and lack of a proper roof seal is the deal breaker for someone looking to build a quite, air-cooled rig.

I want Corsair to take another -better- go at it, before someone else does and takes my money :p

As for the video review, it was perfection. Can't thank you guys enough.
Why would installing cooling in the same enclosure be stupid? Cooling one compartment rather than including the areas of a case that create more heat would be not be stupid. The motherboard and the hardware directly connected is the most important areas of a case to be cooled. The 540,being a compartmental design allows the best air flow in the most ctytical areas without any hinderance from any other hardware,cables etc. etc. Seperate compartment cooling make sense. I know this from my experience with compartmental cooling in my Thermaltake Level 10. [Non Gt model]
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 19, 2013, 12:52 AM
MVP

I believe we are agreeing with each other. I may have confused you by using "enclosure" instead of "compartment". Thanks for the correction.

I'm very much in support of this concept, but I wish they executed it with more conviction. The case seems more like a prototype than a finished product.
Old September 6, 2013, 10:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would like to buy this case but I need the ability to install at least six HDD.. :(
Old September 9, 2013, 10:03 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

At first glance of this case I thought it was exactly what I've been looking for.
Closer look I have many issues with this case. All could be solved if they were to rotate the case 90º so the optical drive bays would be properly orientated to work with optical drives, or dual bay reservoirs . Or rotate the optical drive bays 90º so they would work with all devices that use 5¼" drive bays. There is only about 10% of optical drives that would work in this case with out the disc's falling out. Also I haven't seen any devices designed for vertical install to 5¼" bays. Very device would have it's info or display screen reading sideways. I think the guy that came up with the vertical 5¼" drive bays should be fired for being so dam stupid.

Great idea with the two chambers, just very poorly thought out. And the poor quality construction with flimsy materials isn't helping things out any.
A total lack of drive space is also a turn off. Looking for a nice cube I can afford that will hold 4 - 3.5" drives for a raid setup to hold movies for HTPC, a couple SSD's for OS and some games.

This case is a total fail IMO. I posted this info over a month ago at Corsairs forums. I can appreciate they are trying something different, but I don't think they really thought this through far enough.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

One more comment... I like the music in the background! please keep it!
Old September 12, 2013, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have doubts that this case is adequate for Multi GPU's throwing out all kinds of heat, Is take my old Silverstone EATX over this any day, who knows.
Juat doesn't seem right compartmental cooling or not going to a smaller case with Multi GPU's in mind.....

Old September 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I have doubts that this case is adequate for Multi GPU's throwing out all kinds of heat, Is take my old Silverstone EATX over this any day, who knows.
Juat doesn't seem right compartmental cooling or not going to a smaller case with Multi GPU's in mind.....
I think you will see that multi cars etc. will fit perfectly in this case and it will provide excellent cooling in the mobo compartment. The Level 10 I have now has a smaller compartment and only two fans. One 120mm exhaust and one 140mm intake. It has excellent cooling. You would truly be surprised at the cooling provided when a case has a compartmental design. When Killswitch and I have the Air 540 build ready,pics etc. will be posted. I'm betting I made the right decision and will be able to have higher overclocks than with the Level 10. I could easily be wrong,but we will soon find out.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yeah will be curious Slik to see how your guys numbers workout for sure, keep me updated, actually will be kinda fun doing a cross comparison of both our rigs,,,,not Benchmarks but CPU OC's, CPU Core heat and vcore requirements, hell we're using the same Board ;)

Old December 5, 2013, 05:31 PM
Allstar

I ordered BF and just received this case today.

I purchased this without a real need but I'm thinking that I could install two or three systems in it.

Two mini-itx systems in the main chamber. I could easily mount a 2nd standard psu over the other in the other side. Plus a Pico psu for the 3rd. Actually if a mini-itx system is mounted in the top with i/o plate, it looks like two more could be installed horizontal so a possible 4 systems build. The depth on the system side is about 8" so fitting mini-itx at 6.75" sq is easy ...

I actually have 5 mini-itx systems kicking around so over the holidays, maybe I'll get creative