Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2013, 04:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Cool Corsair Carbide 540

Has anyone else purchased, or plans on purchasing this unique beauty?
$150MSRP

Outside view

Motherboard bay view

Behind Motherboard tray view

I find it simply beautiful to have...
1) The PSU, harddrives and optical drive hidden behind the motherboard tray.
2) With this, the motherboard compartment has a unhindered airflow and looks extremely clean!
3) Lots of room for radiators and even room to hide a pump behind the motherboard tray too
4) The main motherboard compartment looks SO clean with the PSU and drives hidden

From reviews I've seen, it performs wonderfully.

The only cons are that...
1) The stock fans (not PWM) are loud at high rpm (I'd love to replace these with Noctuas!)
2) There are not enough easy snap mount hard drive "bays" behind the motherboard (3)
3) The optical bay is sideways, making some bay reservoirs not compatible with the case.
4) Big footprint compared to traditional towers
5) Some people just plain hate the asthetics of the "cube" design.

Well, honestly, for me those cons do not deter me from this case.
Once MemoryExpress in Calgary has them in stock, I look forward to buying one!
How about you guys?
Old August 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just bought that case. It's in transit and should be here Tuesday morning. Killswitch and I are doing a build and we should have it done with pics etc. by the weekend. I'm transplanting my hardware from my Level 10 into the 540.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I just bought that case. It's in transit and should be here Tuesday morning. Killswitch and I are doing a build and we should have it done with pics etc. by the weekend. I'm transplanting my hardware from my Level 10 into the 540.

Ohhh I look forward to pictures and impressions!
Congrats!
Old August 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Super sweet case. I like it a lot however I wish it was a bit more compacted and not designed for water cooling considering the name is "Corsair Carbide Air 540".

I would totally be all over it if I didn't purchase a case 2 days before this was revealed.... Then again I have been through 5 cases in the past 2 years. 5....6.... what's the difference. :P
Old August 13, 2013, 05:09 AM
MVP

This case is a perfect match for two Noctua FLX 14 fans in the front. You can still use the stock fans in the top, set to lowest voltage and speed as an exhaust. As long as the intakes spin faster, the remained openings will exhaust air rather than suck it in with the dust. I'm thinking a Noctua NHU14S heatsink, MSI gaming series video card, and a 1TB SSD and a low RPM HDD should take care of any acoustic inconveniences. What a build that would make!

Still, I would not install it without a dust filter for the PSU.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
This case is a perfect match for two Noctua FLX 14 fans in the front. You can still use the stock fans in the top, set to lowest voltage and speed as an exhaust. As long as the intakes spin faster, the remained openings will exhaust air rather than suck it in with the dust. I'm thinking a Noctua NHU14S heatsink, MSI gaming series video card, and a 1TB SSD and a low RPM HDD should take care of any acoustic inconveniences. What a build that would make!

Still, I would not install it without a dust filter for the PSU.
Funny enough, Corsair George, who designs Corsairs cases as of the past many years, replied on overclock.net about the lack of magnetic dust filter for the PUS vent.
Simply put, he said sorry and that he just forgot It was entertaining to read his honest reply regarding the matter.
I would buy an aftermarket black magnetic dust filter for the PSU as well.