Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2013, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Why do I feel like nobody makes a great ATX that isn't huge?

I have been keeping an eye on cases (just through what I see in reviews and the odd search for mid-sized or smaller atx cases) and I'm still pissed off to say I don't know where to buy a great case with great features and great build quality. Honestly, all the great cases when it comes to features/quality are the massive freaking towers that I'm trying to get away from. I want a much smaller case/form factor and I'm willing to pay for it, but I just can't find one that meets my high demands.

Current needs:
#1 Build quality must be there
#2 Would like a decent fan controller without flimsy buttons, etc (or else very quiet fans by default)
#3 Would like to be able to use my corsair H100 loop, but would be willing to "drop down" to a single rad.
#4 I just recently added a 2nd 680 (SLI now) and have a PCIe x1 soundcard.
#5 planning on swapping out from an ATX to a mATX motherboard very soon, but will keep using my corsair HX1000 PSU.

Wanting get smaller, quite a bit smaller, than my current full sized ATX case. I'd love to be closer to the mATX case form fact than the mid sized, but in general just want something that isn't so "huge."

Last edited by draemn; June 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not sure what you think a 'great' case is but there are plenty of good atx sized cases that aren't massive. If you are wanting water cooling that always adds size requirements.

I recently picked up a 200r. IMO it is a great case, nice and small, inexpensive, has every feature I want for air cooling. I got really sick of the massive switch 810 that was sitting on my desk.

It sounds like you are just too picky. :P
Old June 20, 2013, 10:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Not sure what you think a 'great' case is but there are plenty of good atx sized cases that aren't massive. If you are wanting water cooling that always adds size requirements.

I recently picked up a 200r. IMO it is a great case, nice and small, inexpensive, has every feature I want for air cooling. I got really sick of the massive switch 810 that was sitting on my desk.

It sounds like you are just too picky. :P
That's why your switch 810 is on my desk now

I like big case, lots of room to work with and can expend in the future, don't have to worry about not fitting a MASSIVE video card. There's lots of mid tower case too that's great. You should check out Fractal @ Computex 2013. Compact and lots of feature doesn't work too well together, you gonna lose something out of it 1 way or another.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinouchie View Post
That's why your switch 810 is on my desk now

I like big case, lots of room to work with and can expend in the future, don't have to worry about not fitting a MASSIVE video card. There's lots of mid tower case too that's great. You should check out Fractal @ Computex 2013. Compact and lots of feature doesn't work too well together, you gonna lose something out of it 1 way or another.
Well I'm glad you like it. It is a sweet case. Aesthetics are subjective to the user but I quite enjoyed it.

I agree Fractal makes some great cases. I owned the Define mini and it's a great case. Excellent build quality and even better price point. Besides I don't think any other cases can take 10 shots from a shotgun.

To the OP keep your eye open in the coming months. Smaller form factor than standard ATX is becoming increasingly popular and there are a bunch to come to the market which were showcased at computex 2013.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why the focus on ATX? There's some really good micro ATX and M-ITX boards out now. Unless you're running multiple graphics cards or looking for a benching board there's really no reason to stick to ATX or E-ATX builds. My wife's been in a Mini-ITX build for 18 months now, looking to build another one for a living room gamer/HTPC. Even with a dual-slot GPU and a sound card I could easily change to a micro ATX build, and if I sacrificed the sound card I could fit everything in a Node 304 or Prodigy easily.

That being said, if I was using a AIO or air cooling I'd be picking up one of these for my next ATX build. Bitfenix Survivor White ATX Mid Tower Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 7X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 w/ Handle
Old June 21, 2013, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't like the survivor. I built one client system in it and it was a pain in the butt to say the least. Cheap build quality and an unintelligent layout made for a difficult time putting together a clean build. Not to mention the handle dealt gimmicky and not at all convenient for transport.

I'd suggest looking at mATX options and finding a p180 mini. To this day it's one of my favorite cases. Either that or start looking in to some of the higher end cases that Lian Li or Silverstone make.
Old June 21, 2013, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Why the focus on ATX? There's some really good micro ATX and M-ITX boards out now. Unless you're running multiple graphics cards or looking for a benching board there's really no reason to stick to ATX or E-ATX builds. My wife's been in a Mini-ITX build for 18 months now, looking to build another one for a living room gamer/HTPC. Even with a dual-slot GPU and a sound card I could easily change to a micro ATX build, and if I sacrificed the sound card I could fit everything in a Node 304 or Prodigy easily.

That being said, if I was using a AIO or air cooling I'd be picking up one of these for my next ATX build. Bitfenix Survivor White ATX Mid Tower Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 7X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 w/ Handle
I am looking for mid sized ATX or smaller, but I just purchased a 2nd GTX 680, so now I have to fit two in a case, so maybe not looking for too small anymore? I am going to swap out my main rig into a mATX board + 2600k CPU in the very near future, so I really want to down size the case (have been wanting to for a long time). Although I am now potentially limited by having a corsair H100 cooler, I just dislike having such a large case (NZXT phantom, the original).

I saw some cases I liked that were smaller, but they came with inferior fan controls, or poor build quality accord to the review, or the asethics are really boring... I might just be looking in the wrong place, I don't know. Still, if you can show me one with solid build quality and some nice features (I'm in love with having a good fan controller), I'd be willing to trade in my corsair H100 for a 120mm rad closed loop.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have you looked at the Arc Midi R2? I have one and it's great. Not sure if it's small enough for you or if the controller is good enough. But design, features and build quality is top notch for the price.
Old June 21, 2013, 06:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

SilverStone has quite a few nice options, as well as Lian-Li.
Old June 21, 2013, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Carbide Air 540 - Anyone know much about this case? I don't like the fact that it doesn't have any kind of built in fan controller, but I guess I might have to stop being picky about having a nice fan controller if I want a smaller case. Not sure if this is the kind of small I want, but maybe it is. Haven't seen the Midi R2 before, but it looks like it has potential. Defs build quality is my #1 sticking point. Still, I'm not a fan of the aesthetics at all.