Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2013, 08:23 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Hardware Canucks Tours Lian Liís Factory in Taipei

Taiwanís Lian Li has spent a lot of money ensuring that they can build high-quality cases. While the companyís competition has largely outsourced the manufacturing process to the Mainland, Lian Li manufacturers in an industrial suburb of Taipei.

Read more and see the video here: Hardware Canucks Tours Lian Li?s Factory in Taipei | Hardware Canucks
Old June 4, 2013, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

Not going to lie, I'm a big Lian Li fan. I'm pretty jealous of this.
Old June 4, 2013, 02:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've always thought that workers were treated better in Taiwan than in China. How were the working conditions? Am I out to lunch on this idea?
Old June 4, 2013, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

I know that this isn't directed at me but, in my opinion, the fact that their competition can make more money outsourcing to the mainland speaks volumes. Also, workplace tours are always staged to some extent.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
I've always thought that workers were treated better in Taiwan than in China. How were the working conditions? Am I out to lunch on this idea?
From my understanding talking to the guys, workplace conditions were very good. Actually better than most metal shops here in Canada.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
Also, workplace tours are always staged to some extent.
Not unless they are trying to hide something. Really it looks like a typical metalworking shop. Nothing out of the ordinary thats particularly good or bad, what exactly would they be staging? Why would they pay more locally and then provide bad conditions rather than offload to china if they were going to do something like that.

Of course they tell everybody to be on best behavior etc, you want to project a good image but then what company wouldn't do that?
Old June 5, 2013, 04:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the coverage! Cool to see how they actually make it.

Weird that nobody was wearing goggles though (except for those who are wearing prescription specs), especially that guy filing near the beginning.
Old June 5, 2013, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Of course they tell everybody to be on best behavior etc, you want to project a good image but then what company wouldn't do that?
My experience is mostly with jobsite tours and plot tours, only one or two times with a shop tour. About a week before the tour there is always a bit of a rush to get everything looking just so and "keep things clean." Your opinion may be different, but to me this still counts as staging, because whoever is coming through is not seeing things as they happen and as they are during a normal working day.

The video seems to be a sad reminder that our cheap stuff comes at a very real human cost.