Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Hardware Canucks Tours Lian Liís Factory in Taipei (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/61511-hardware-canucks-tours-lian-li-s-factory-taipei.html)

SKYMTL June 3, 2013 09:23 PM

Hardware Canucks Tours Lian Liís Factory in Taipei

Taiwanís Lian Li has spent a lot of money ensuring that they can build high-quality cases. While the companyís competition has largely outsourced the manufacturing process to the Mainland, Lian Li manufacturers in an industrial suburb of Taipei.

Read more and see the video here: Hardware Canucks Tours Lian Li?s Factory in Taipei | Hardware Canucks

Kerry D June 4, 2013 08:15 AM

Not going to lie, I'm a big Lian Li fan. I'm pretty jealous of this.

Masteroderus June 4, 2013 03:45 PM

I've always thought that workers were treated better in Taiwan than in China. How were the working conditions? Am I out to lunch on this idea?

Kerry D June 4, 2013 07:49 PM

I know that this isn't directed at me but, in my opinion, the fact that their competition can make more money outsourcing to the mainland speaks volumes. Also, workplace tours are always staged to some extent.

SKYMTL June 4, 2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 713244)
I've always thought that workers were treated better in Taiwan than in China. How were the working conditions? Am I out to lunch on this idea?

From my understanding talking to the guys, workplace conditions were very good. Actually better than most metal shops here in Canada.

Dzzope June 5, 2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry D (Post 713285)
Also, workplace tours are always staged to some extent.

Not unless they are trying to hide something. Really it looks like a typical metalworking shop. Nothing out of the ordinary thats particularly good or bad, what exactly would they be staging? Why would they pay more locally and then provide bad conditions rather than offload to china if they were going to do something like that.

Of course they tell everybody to be on best behavior etc, you want to project a good image but then what company wouldn't do that?

crowTrobot June 5, 2013 05:31 AM

Thanks for the coverage! Cool to see how they actually make it.

Weird that nobody was wearing goggles though (except for those who are wearing prescription specs), especially that guy filing near the beginning.

Kerry D June 5, 2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 713336)
Of course they tell everybody to be on best behavior etc, you want to project a good image but then what company wouldn't do that?

My experience is mostly with jobsite tours and plot tours, only one or two times with a shop tour. About a week before the tour there is always a bit of a rush to get everything looking just so and "keep things clean." Your opinion may be different, but to me this still counts as staging, because whoever is coming through is not seeing things as they happen and as they are during a normal working day.

The video seems to be a sad reminder that our cheap stuff comes at a very real human cost.