Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Damn straight. A budget case that saves me 300 from buying the Merlin SM8. This is how cases should be built. I posted a comment months ago on tomshardware detailing my dream case and you guys nailed it. You owe me royalty fees lol.

I don't think anyone is going to mod this case and if they do it's going to be for adding a side window. However, we would have preferred the USB and Audio ports are the top as usual but I know why you have it to the side: It's so that you reduce the potential impedance with mounting the 360mm radiator up top.

I want this case now. My FDD XL R2 does the job but I want to be able to build custom watercooled rig without spending too much.

And the comment about perforations on both sides, well that was from me and there wouldn't be any wobbles if you had it but I think the air coming from one side should be adequate.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CaseLabs. Jim is a great guy and I will support him no matter what! His cases are priced the way they are for a reason, and they're worth every penny and more.

I can see the airflow being a potential issue for those who would have their case positioned directly against a wallon their right side, now that I think of it. However, I don't think airflow will be an issue for most users. Air is EVERYWHERE. As long as you aren't baffling the fans more than they are with the filters, the airflow should be just as normal as any other case.

Not to mention, you can also place fans/rads on the bottom of the chassis as well.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Where they are metal - very nice BTW! - any chance of 'custom' mesh front from NZXT? Ie if NZXT came out with an "optional" High Air Flow Front (call it a HAF(F).....a "HAF(F)-XXX" :P) for 30bucks...this case would so be in my checkout cart!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CaseLabs. Jim is a great guy and I will support him no matter what! His cases are priced the way they are for a reason, and they're worth every penny and more.

I can see the airflow being a potential issue for those who would have their case positioned directly against a wallon their right side, now that I think of it. However, I don't think airflow will be an issue for most users. Air is EVERYWHERE. As long as you aren't baffling the fans more than they are with the filters, the airflow should be just as normal as any other case.

Not to mention, you can also place fans/rads on the bottom of the chassis as well.
I think there should be no issue with the airflow even if the case is placed on the right side of the desk because no one puts their cases right up against the wall.

For me, I intend on having a 360 rad up top, and 280mm rad at the bottom, so the front is staying as intake with 3x120 running at medium speed. I might also make it that the front has a 280mm rad but exhausting through the vents and have the bottom fitted with 2x140mm fans for intake. Win win. Damn I want this case now!
Old May 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Where they are metal - very nice BTW! - any chance of 'custom' mesh front from NZXT? Ie if NZXT came out with an "optional" High Air Flow Front (call it a HAF(F).....a "HAF(F)-XXX" :P) for 30bucks...this case would so be in my checkout cart!
Probably not, my friend. Though for that price you could have someone mod it for you anyway if you don't have the tools. This is supposed to be a more quiet case. It's the successor to the H2 chassis that NZXT put out a few years ago.

Quote:
I think there should be no issue with the airflow even if the case is placed on the right side of the desk because no one puts their cases right up against the wall.

For me, I intend on having a 360 rad up top, and 280mm rad at the bottom, so the front is staying as intake with 3x120 running at medium speed. I might also make it that the front has a 280mm rad but exhausting through the vents and have the bottom fitted with 2x140mm fans for intake. Win win. Damn I want this case now!
Sounds like a groovy set up :) When I get mine, I plan on doing a 360 in the front and a 240 in the bottom if I can manage it, but even if not, the 360 will go in the roof. I'd like to hard pipe the tubing too.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks, I am absolutely in love with this case. Again, my FDD XL R2 does the job but can't handle a full sized radiator (height-wise) due to limited space above motherboard tray. So, what I would like to know is how much space is there between the roof and top of the motherboard tray? I'd like to have a 55mm-60mm thick radiator up there with push/pull or just one of. Do you know? And I suspect this is the reason you want to have the front and bottom setup with top as exhaust?

Also, Dustin Sklavos from Anandtech likes the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Probably not, my friend. Though for that price you could have someone mod it for you anyway if you don't have the tools. This is supposed to be a more quiet case. It's the successor to the H2 chassis that NZXT put out a few years ago.

Sounds like a groovy set up :) When I get mine, I plan on doing a 360 in the front and a 240 in the bottom if I can manage it, but even if not, the 360 will go in the roof. I'd like to hard pipe the tubing too.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Gotcha, thanks.
Yeah I got the tools....Im just lazy and rather have 'stock' parts for customer builds ;)

It is unfortunate as it would expand the market niche for this case.
HAF for air cool users. Stock for low noise peeps. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I am absolutely in love with this case. Again, my FDD XL R2 does the job but can't handle a full sized radiator (height-wise) due to limited space above motherboard tray. So, what I would like to know is how much space is there between the roof and top of the motherboard tray? I'd like to have a 55mm-60mm thick radiator up there with push/pull or just one of. Do you know? And I suspect this is the reason you want to have the front and bottom setup with top as exhaust?

Also, Dustin Sklavos from Anandtech likes the case.
I think you'd be able to fit a 60mm thick underneath the top, with fans under the top panel, depending on the motherboard chosen (some heastsinks could get in the way.) That's pretty typical in cases, though. At least, it is in ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Gotcha, thanks.
Yeah I got the tools....Im just lazy and rather have 'stock' parts for customer builds ;)

It is unfortunate as it would expand the market niche for this case.
HAF for air cool users. Stock for low noise peeps. :)
I think someone else already has a trademark on the "HAF" name.... who that could be... I totally forgot!

I honestly don't think airflow will be an issue, and I rather like the clean looking front panel. Hell, I owned an A+ Black Pearl and a Lian Li V2000 case, and there was almost zero room for air on the front panel, still cooled like a charm.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well XNine you know you are doing something right when a $150 case is an option vs a $350 900D.

I think most people have their tower on the right side of their desk so it would have been smarter to have the front ports on the left side or on top. That is the biggest annoyance of the case. If there was an option to buy a new front panel that switched it I would. Also wouldn't mind an optional window that people can buy. I like having an option to buy a side window as some manufactures can't seem to make them right so I would rather have no window than one that looks wrong.

It must be very tough to make cases because of people like me are very picky. So far I have not seen the perfect case in all price points. All of them seem to have some flaw.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I bet the windowed side panel will be released soon thereafter. Would be silly not to offer that.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:18 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well XNine you know you are doing something right when a $150 case is an option vs a $350 900D.

I think most people have their tower on the right side of their desk so it would have been smarter to have the front ports on the left side or on top. That is the biggest annoyance of the case. If there was an option to buy a new front panel that switched it I would. Also wouldn't mind an optional window that people can buy. I like having an option to buy a side window as some manufactures can't seem to make them right so I would rather have no window than one that looks wrong.

It must be very tough to make cases because of people like me are very picky. So far I have not seen the perfect case in all price points. All of them seem to have some flaw.
I understand. Unfortunately, as a "mass production" MFG, you can't please everyone. We do our best to offer innovative features at good prices, some people like it, some people don't, some are mixed. It's just the way of the world. Not that what you're saying shouldn't be taken into account, as it should. We like to hear these kinds of opinions as it only lends us advice to offer other solutions down the road. So thank you for the feedback :)

The side window thing... well, we'll just have to wait and see.....