Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2013, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Default Corsair 400R front connectors

I am a first time builder and I am having a bit of a problem with the front panel connections. My mother board came with adapters for the JFP1 and JFP2 on the MOBO so I can connect to the adapters and then to the motherboard.
My motherboard manual said most of the front panel connectors would connect to JFP1.
Connected to the JFP1
HDDLED
Power Switch
Reset Switch
The JFP1 adapter has left 2 pins left but they are marked FP PWR/SLP! I have left 2 single wires left marked +PLED and a -PLED
Is the FP PWR/SLP = to the + PLED and the -PLED?
I have been following the manual meticulously as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 is the motherboard. Corsair 400R

Thanks...
Old May 7, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Theres no harm plugging in any of those connectors in backwards, trial and error works best if you're not sure.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Default Really?

I hope I got it down, a bit nervous since it is my first time.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PLED= power Led
If the power Led Lights up when you start up your good.

HDLed= Hard drive Led
should flash on and off as your drive spins. The other led on on a 400R
Old May 8, 2013, 01:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

FP PWR/SLP is your front pannel power/sleep.

Logically, approach this from the case's point of view, not the motherboard, as a lot of the time there are more motherboard connection pins than front pannel connectors (the case speaker is outta style).

Also, polarity only matters on the LED plugs. The power and reset switches don't care as they are doing the job of a screwdriver jumpin' pins.

To be clear: the LED connectors are not your power switch. Perhaps the motherboard was kind enough to include room for an extra power switch without modding any cables. MSI motherboards are classically feature rich.

Last edited by Masteroderus; May 8, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

AHA! I found the manual online.

TUTORIAL:

Use the JFP1 connector on the motherboard by first plugging in appropriate case connectors to the proper "mConnector" (the plastic thingy with holes and pins in it).

This includes:
POWER SWITCH aka PWR aka PWR/SLP aka FP PWR/SLP aka (makes up more initials that mean power switch): The polarity of this doesn't matter. Just plug and chug.

RESET SWITCH: Again, polarity doesn't matter, just plug it in!

HDD LED: The polarity of this matters. Match + to + and - to -. If there are no + and - on the connector, usually black is negative in electronics (and positive in other applications. way to go engineers.)
This will blink blink when your hard drive goes think think!

POWER LED: Again, it is a LED, which requires specific polarity to run. Match up the polarities.

And that's it!

The JFP2 connector is old school! Don't use it for that case. It has both speaker AND buzzer ports with the ancient ground pin there! LOL!

Good luck and god speed! I remember this was the most intimidating part of my first build. I simply got a magnifying lens and looked at the tiny markings on the motherboard, and figured out the polarity on my thermaltake xazer 3 lanfire case (which STILL WORKS) by assuming black was negative.

PS: You are not going to blow up anything by having the wrong polarity. 12 volts (and probably .1 or less amps) isn't gonna hurt your precious led's.

PSS: For 20 bonus points can anyone explain why the LED needs a specific bias to run? Can anyone name the physical effect that governs the process, and who "invented" (i use parentheses because you cannot invent physical processes, only discover them) the science behind the LED?