Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2013, 12:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will add that you can get good value in a sub $100 case and horrible value in a >$200 case (I am looking at you original CM Cosmos!). I think there is a fine line between cost and aesthetics/performance/usability. Just because a case is over $200 doesn't automatically mean it is better. Most case over $200 ARE better but some cases under $100 are significantly better than others.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old March 26, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg View Post
Can't tell if srs or being sarcastic and dismissive
You aren't really understanding though which is why I think he is starting to get this way. The thing is all these premium features are nice but the fact is rubber grommets in your motherboard cut-outs don't cost $50 and yet that is how much they charge you for them. When you buy an expensive "enthusiast" case the company margins increase exponentially with the price of the case. You pay a much higher premium on top of the actual value because it is an "enthusiast" product.

Kind of like Apple if you want to join the club, they are going to charge you 40% more than the actual value.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So being an enthusiast now means paying out the ass for things taht dont need to be paid out of the ass for? It used to be an enthusiast would be irking out as much performance (yes it used to be based on performance not looks) for as cheap as possible. It seems now attaching the word "gaming" or "enthusiast" to literally everything justifies a huge markup or sense of elitism.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
You aren't really understanding though which is why I think he is starting to get this way. The thing is all these premium features are nice but the fact is rubber grommets in your motherboard cut-outs don't cost $50 and yet that is how much they charge you for them. When you buy an expensive "enthusiast" case the company margins increase exponentially with the price of the case. You pay a much higher premium on top of the actual value because it is an "enthusiast" product.

Kind of like Apple if you want to join the club, they are going to charge you 40% more than the actual value.
He HAS gotten an answer though, multiple times now fit & finish, materials, features have been mentioned yet he preferred to downplay those things with humor and sarcasm. It's substantially more expensive to create a consistent product within tighter tolerances in aluminum than it is stamped steel. It's the labor and design which increase the cost, not specifically the parts.

Yes of course there is cost associated simply by creating something as a "premium" product, but in this case...shit, in this instance the quality actually does reflect in the price.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg View Post
He HAS gotten an answer though, multiple times now fit & finish, materials, features have been mentioned yet he preferred to downplay those things with humor and sarcasm. It's substantially more expensive to create a consistent product within tighter tolerances in aluminum than it is stamped steel. It's the labor and design which increase the cost, not specifically the parts.

Yes of course there is cost associated simply by creating something as a "premium" product, but in this case...shit, in this instance the quality actually does reflect in the price.
You are ignoring the fact that the price increases exponentially rather than linearly if you make a flat 10% on the case price all the way up that makes sense. However when you get up to 40% profit you are gouging for prestige.

Also we think of aluminum as much more expensive than steel however it is still a very cheap material and really doesn't had much of a cost to production.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
Rookie

You guys are arguing 2 different but related things. How the companies price their products and consumer's willingness to pay said price.

Part of pricing a product is figuring out what the market is willing to pay and what sort of volume you can sell at specific price points. If a company creates a premium product and wants to keep it relatively exclusive, they'll make it with lots of features and tight QC. They will also price it so that they can sell a projected volume.

On the consumer side, the concept of bang for buck is different for individuals. For example, OP likes the cabling to look good and spends a little extra time and money to ensure that it is so in his system. Another person might feel that it's a waste of time and money even if the expenditures were only $20 and 15 minutes.

In other words, the OP may feel that a high end case @ $600 is poor value, but to someone else that wants the specific set of features / build quality / looks the $600 case may be good value.

While we can discuss whether or not the pricing of a product is justified, it isn't really possible to argue value for money of a product to each individual.