Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2013, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Whether the high cost is worth it really depends on your needs. For the majority of us, a reasonably well built case under $200 will do. For those that have needs that demand a much higher quality / features case, a $300 case may be worth it. For those that have a very, very high end set of demands it's possible that only something like this will do: MAGNUM STH10 - CaseLabs Store

In the end it's really just a question of your needs / wants vs your wallet. Most of us will be fine with sub $200 products.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
All about perspective. Five hours does not sound cheap to me. It sounds really expensive.
That's if you look at your hobby time as money and if your hobby feels like a job you picked a pretty crappy hobby. If you enjoy it, it really doesn't cost a thing.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:51 AM
Allstar

One can hardly be expected to like everything about something.

for instance, I like playing soccer. Do I particularly enjoy being gross and sweaty though? Do I HAVE to enjoy the time it takes to drive there? Are you saying that because I don't like those things that I shouldn't be allowed to play soccer anymore?
Old March 24, 2013, 04:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Development/ material cost/ lower volume production/ and the price premium associated with that segment of the market. While I would never spend that kind of money on a case, its just like a high end version of anything. Usually everything is priced along an exponential curve (you get a decent return on increasing costs until a point where the curve goes vertical...then you pay a lot more for very little gain).

Do you drive a Toyota Yaris, or a Kia Rio? Why buy a more expensive car then that...it still gets you from point A to point B (not being a jerk with this statement, just pushing the point). I would argue that for a case the point of diminishing returns is somewhere around the $100 mark, and for cars around the $30,000 mark (new cars of course).
Old March 24, 2013, 05:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I used to buy sub $100 cases until my most recent build, spent close to $300 for a mid tower lian li, it is like going from a VW rabbit to a Maserati, the difference in build quality/aesthetics can not really be described in words. I will be holding onto my case for my next few builds at least(used to change cases every couple years) and I have yet to see anyone else own one, unlike the corsair brigade...
Old March 24, 2013, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have this case in Black Thermaltake - Global - Level 10 Limited Edition - VL300A2N1N Worth every penny.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 24, 2013, 06:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I can agree with that,it's a really different and cool design.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

As I answered in the first post.
Bliz your simply not an enthusiast.
If it's just a steel box to you then you will never understand why people would want there boxes to be high quality.
Cheap cases come with cheap parts and none of the good stuff.
  • No re-useable PCI slot covers
  • drive bays are usually 1 piece riveted in
  • the cases usually have lots of sharp edges left on them
  • little to no cable management
  • too much plastic in wrong places
  • no rubber grommets for drives, cable routing.
  • cheap feet
  • noisy fans

Just watch some of Dimitry's case reviews
Old March 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

all those points seem like what a turn key enthusiast would want, a true enthusiast would see them as a challenge. it's all in your perspective...
  • No re-useable PCI slot covers
  • drive bays are usually 1 piece riveted in
  • the cases usually have lots of sharp edges left on them
  • little to no cable management
  • too much plastic in wrong places
  • no rubber grommets for drives, cable routing.
  • cheap feet
  • noisy fans
Old March 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You simply don't understand this thread,you have good cable management holes,rubber pads and all that stuff you said with 100$ cases.i'm not saying that 50$ cases are as good as 100$ cases ,of course not,but 300$ cases are overpriced for stuff you don't really need,that's the point it sucks to pay extra 200$ for a better look right?

take a fractal design define R4 and compare it to 300$ cases,the R4 is pretty much all you need.
and that's all i had to say.

your description of horrors looks like a 30$ case...

Last edited by bliz; March 24, 2013 at 09:19 AM.