Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ncase for the mitx fans out there.

A case designed from the ground up by some enthusiasts over at [H]. I'm really liking the layout
Not too sure if a link is okay but here goes.

NCASE M1 prototype, a Mini-ITX Case | Indiegogo
Estimated retail price is a little high but imo worth it. ($160-200)
Old March 10, 2013, 11:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Its quite nice, however I wouldn't look to spend nearing (or over $200CAD) for a small case. I'm perfectly fine with my Prodigy builds, and that supports 240 rad which is more than enough.

If Asus (and others) follow through and launches a newer small sized video card. then there really wont be a need for "larger SFF" cases to fit full sized GPU's soon.
i7-3770K/ ASRock Z77 Extreme 6/ Corsair 16GB Vengeance Kit/ Corsair 240GB Neutron GTX SSD/ Corsair 240GB Force 3 SSD "Game Drive" / EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper/ MSI 460GTX 1GB PhysX w/Koolance GPU block/ XSPC Raystorm Intel Edition/ 360TFC Rad/ 240EK Rad/ NZXT HALE90 1000W Gold/ NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal Gray

My RFD Feedback: 100%
My HEATWARE: 50-0= 100% Positive
My HoFo Feedback ~ Deal with confidence! 100% Positive
Old March 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Damn that's purdy.... and I personally don't have a problem with their pricing. $200 for a relatively low production count quality case isn't really OTL IMO.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
Allstar

Hmm may be Lian Li will buy the production license, after all they are doing the manufacturing.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

3 slots why not 4 and MATX ,

I like my Prodigy. Prodigy in MATX that would interest me.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Allstar

IV4N, they still need room for the PSU.

ZZLEE, they literally answer your exact question in the FAQ....i guess it's pretty frequently asked lol

I also agree that the $200 price isn't out of line; i'd hardly call [high-powered] MITX systems budget builds.

I'd be more interested if there was a windowed version personally.

EDIT:

it's pretty sad that it's taken this long to get a CPU cutout for a mitx system....although, I might be the only one that likes to switch out coolers and see what fits and doesn't fit.
Old April 3, 2014, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

The case is really expensive and you will only get it if you donate to their fund? I don't get it.

Looks like an interesting case. I didn't know there were so many mitx cases out there. I was looking at them and there's so many intangibles - space, whether ATX power supplies will fit, whether you can have a liquid cooler and which rad will fit.... how many drives... ahhhhhhh... ;)

'it's pretty sad that it's taken this long to get a CPU cutout for a mitx system....although, I might be the only one that likes to switch out coolers and see what fits and doesn't fit'

I was thinking the exact same things but on some cases, the mobo is on a 'platform' (don't know what else to call it) but, yes, the ones that are vertical, why aren't case manufacturers providing a mobo/cpu cut-out?
Old April 3, 2014, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love the idea and the extremely modularity in the case. I feel like there are a couple small things missed for additional options, layout, display, etc, but overall it seems extremely impressive. Provided that air-flow works well, I really can't see any reason not to buy this case if it is what you're in the market for. I would say this case can easily command a price of $180+ if it has the build quality to back it up.

It's awesome to see someone actually trying to design a case to be as useful and efficient on layout/space as possible. Kudos.
Old April 3, 2014, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar View Post
The case is really expensive and you will only get it if you donate to their fund? I don't get it.

Looks like an interesting case. I didn't know there were so many mitx cases out there. I was looking at them and there's so many intangibles - space, whether ATX power supplies will fit, whether you can have a liquid cooler and which rad will fit.... how many drives... ahhhhhhh... ;)

'it's pretty sad that it's taken this long to get a CPU cutout for a mitx system....although, I might be the only one that likes to switch out coolers and see what fits and doesn't fit'

I was thinking the exact same things but on some cases, the mobo is on a 'platform' (don't know what else to call it) but, yes, the ones that are vertical, why aren't case manufacturers providing a mobo/cpu cut-out?

There were only 1000 cases made. They are planning to have a V2 run with small revisions though.

The main thread on Hardforum (where the creators of this case reside and started the project) is over 500 pages long and every configuration possible has already been covered, so take a look there if you want to see exactly what this case is capable of. A great wealth of information lies on the very first post itself. I built a full loop in the system including dedicated DDC pump (minus the NCASE Reservoir made by Frozen-Q that mounts on the outside to the 92mm bracket and lines up with the grommets) so the case is deceptively accommodating for it's size. I used a 120.2 38mm rad which is really the upper end of what you want in this case. The case was designed to use every mm of space possible, there is virtually no wasted space. Several people have thrown in H220's and then added the GPU to their loop. This is the case that really made me rethink larger cases and all the wasted space we typically find in them. The only major manufacturer that seems to actually understand SFX is Silverstone, so a lot of the innovative stuff that hasn't already been tackled by them has actually been by people starting up their own projects (NCASE M1, Lone Industries L1 & L2, Compact Splash, etc).

The case has the option of using an ATX power supply with a supplied bracket but it primarily designed for use with a SFX PSU. There are major sacrifices if you try to use one to the size of CPU cooler and length of GPU card. That being said, the 450 Gold SFX PSU by Silverstone is sufficient for most builds and they actually have a 600W Gold SFX PSU coming out, hopefully within the next few months.

Old April 4, 2014, 03:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
There were only 1000 cases made. They are planning to have a V2 run with small revisions though.

The main thread on Hardforum (where the creators of this case reside and started the project) is over 500 pages long and every configuration possible has already been covered, so take a look there if you want to see exactly what this case is capable of. A great wealth of information lies on the very first post itself. I built a full loop in the system including dedicated DDC pump (minus the NCASE Reservoir made by Frozen-Q that mounts on the outside to the 92mm bracket and lines up with the grommets) so the case is deceptively accommodating for it's size. I used a 120.2 38mm rad which is really the upper end of what you want in this case. The case was designed to use every mm of space possible, there is virtually no wasted space. Several people have thrown in H220's and then added the GPU to their loop. This is the case that really made me rethink larger cases and all the wasted space we typically find in them. The only major manufacturer that seems to actually understand SFX is Silverstone, so a lot of the innovative stuff that hasn't already been tackled by them has actually been by people starting up their own projects (NCASE M1, Lone Industries L1 & L2, Compact Splash, etc).

The case has the option of using an ATX power supply with a supplied bracket but it primarily designed for use with a SFX PSU. There are major sacrifices if you try to use one to the size of CPU cooler and length of GPU card. That being said, the 450 Gold SFX PSU by Silverstone is sufficient for most builds and they actually have a 600W Gold SFX PSU coming out, hopefully within the next few months.
I just discovered the NCase M1 is rather limited regarding power supplies. I'd need a new PSU with one. My Corsair HX520W won't fit:
http://i.imgur.com/drECfd0.png

Therefore, the case would be $200 + $40 (shipping) + $75 (SFX PSU)! :)

It is an interesting case, though, and other than the price (and availability?), I like how versatile it is while having one of the smaller form factors. It is the style I'm looking for (not too big but lots of options) except that I'm trying to use my current PSU. I suppose a new SFX PSU is around $75 but not many are in this market yet, it seems. Silverstone seems to be the most active in it? Well, I guess my top choices now are the 250D (a bit large than I like but it allows for a cleaner look and allows me to use my psu), the CM Elite 130 and maybe the Fractal Node 304? I also like Lian Li cases but most seem to be similar to the NCase in that the psu would either not fit or be a tight fit. I guess that is expected, though? Lian Li helped design the NCase M1.