Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For a 'normal' user like myself, I install a drive into the caddy once, and once it's in place, I usually don't remove it, ever. I don't think the 500GB in my main rig has left its current enclosure since I put it in there.

AKG, you seem to be the exception vs. the norm in this situation (although to be fair, when are you ever 'normal' ) and for you, yeah, the drive caddies would probably break within a week and then be completely useless to you. However, for the rest of us, I don't think it would make or break a buying decision. I certainly look at other aspects of the case when making a decision.

Two things that would be nice to see on this case that would make it an easy decision for me. A fully windowed side panel without a side fan (todays modern graphics cards are so efficient that side intake fans aren't really needed any more) and the lighting from the 820. It doesn't have to be customizable lighting...make it a single color...blue for instance. But a few LED strips would be nice. If those two things existed, I know what my next case would be.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 13, 2013, 06:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This will sound odd but the best HDD cages I ever used were out of a Dell.
I pulled about a dozen out of dead ones over the years and modified them slightly to fit cases I was using.

I think if someone could make that for modern cases there would be many happy people. For myself, I am okay so long as the damn things fit.

All things aside I hope that with the greater usage of plastics you will go to a bit thicker metal on the chassis itself. My biggest complaint going from the Apollo to the Lexa S was the panels. Too much flex for a case that cost the same. The only saving grace was Airflow.

I'm gonna go take a look at one of these locally where they have them out for display. Maybe I'll move out of the colossus for a bit to see how it works.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 13, 2013, 07:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup the Dells' and early Antecs got it right....use oversized screws that connect directly to the HDD and then slide and drop slightly to lock them into the hdd cage. No caddies to worry about. CM's new way of having the caddy slide 'wider' to insert and then slide back together is also showing promise.

BUT if you are going to design an easy to use system (IMHO the whole point of HDD caddies...is to USE them) then why not make them sturdy? If the case is meant for 'one of' installs...use metal trays that slide in the cage and have the hdds mount directly to them (think external storage units like those from Synology or other NAS mfg'ers). IE if your are going to do it...do it right...or do something different! :)

HDD caddies came from the Enterprise market...where hot swapping is the norm...yet somehow the ease of use and robustness of the original design intent got lost in translation. :(

Honestly, this is a good case. But this is an issue that keeps it from being excellent. One time or 100...it should not matter. The caddy should be safe, secure and reliable.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 13, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It would be great if there were some kind of standard (like motherboard size and screw locations) that allowed you to swap drive caddies from enclosure to enclosure. Every manufacturer would have the same drive caddies, and they would be compatible in mid-high end case.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 13, 2013, 10:48 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Just to jump ob board with the conversation here, while reviewing both the 820 and 630, I snapped 3 caddies in total...3!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply by putting in my 3.5" drive into one side of the caddie and bending the other very gently to snug the drive. I agree with AKG, this case would be excellent if HDD caddies were made of thicker plastic. And I'm quite surprised NZXT has not taken our (and I'm sure many other reviewers/users) feedback regarding these from the P820 review. You should have seen my face when i opened up the case just to see the same poor HDD caddies included with the P630.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Should a drive caddy snap while installing an HDD,

a) is it possible to install the drive in the case without the drive caddy; and

b) will NZXT send replacement caddies at no cost?

Old March 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
Manufacturer Rep

I have been informed that they are indeed working on making the HDD cages Hulk-worthy.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
I have been informed that they are indeed working on making the HDD cages Hulk-worthy.
But will they be AkG worthy?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 14, 2013, 08:13 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Should a drive caddy snap while installing an HDD,

a) is it possible to install the drive in the case without the drive caddy; and

b) will NZXT send replacement caddies at no cost?
A: Uh, don't think so. I mean, you COULD, but it would probably just be a pain in the ass.

B: Yus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Hey! Hey! You there! Shut your mouf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
But will they be AkG worthy?

-ST
Hmmmm. Hulk Vs. AkG.... we'll have to see.... Perhaps he could test them when we get them out...
Old March 15, 2013, 03:06 AM
MVP

Wanna test your caddies? Take them to a paint store and stick them in the paint mixer thing with a couple of harddrives in the caddy. If they come flying out, duck...