Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 10:33 AM
MVP

^ I think we can make XNine an Honorary Canadian based on the statements above.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like I'll be the desenter in the crowd as I don't much care for many features and the overall aesthetics of the Phantom 630. To me it's suffering from dissociative identity as it tries to do two things at once and fails to accomplish neither effectively in regards to the look or functionality. I look at the front fan grill which covers a large portion of the second fan so to keep in line with the overall look of the case, and the side panel which sacrifices window space to give added airflow. I chuckled aloud when I saw the CPU cutout conforming to the overall case design with it's angular shape. The cheap plastic top and front covers, the flimsy and poorly designed top fan filters, cheap and flimsy drive brackets, reset and power buttons. I dunno folks I just don't see what this case is trying to be other than a $180 cheap plastic case with more useless features than you could shake a stick at. The SSD mounts and the adjustable interior fan mount were nice features if I had to say something redeeming about this case.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
The cheap plastic top and front covers, the flimsy and poorly designed top fan filters, cheap and flimsy drive brackets, reset and power buttons. I dunno folks I just don't see what this case is trying to be other than a $180 cheap plastic case with more useless features than you could shake a stick at. The SSD mounts and the adjustable interior fan mount were nice features if I had to say something redeeming about this case.
Have you had a chance to work with the case? Because I feel your opinion would change if you had. The plastic is not cheap and flimsy, I dont know where you get that idea from. The case in fact has a good quality feel, despite the integrated top/front plastic bits.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitry49 View Post
Have you had a chance to work with the case? Because I feel your opinion would change if you had. The plastic is not cheap and flimsy, I dont know where you get that idea from. The case in fact has a good quality feel, despite the integrated top/front plastic bits.
Well said Dimitry, I have not in fact had a chance to work with this case and my comment regarding the plastic bits may have been unfair. Truthfully even the most robust and aestetically pleasing plastic shell on any case in my mind tend to "look" cheap and flimsy compared to Steel and alluminum in my eyes. My somewhat preconcieved ideas about this middle brother of the Phantom 3.0 and the 820 really stem from the fact that although they are feature rich (albeit redundant and needless in many cases imo) the basic aestetics of this NZXT line don't tickle my fancy in the least. Anyways I loved the review and think all the case reviews HWC does are simply outstanding. Thanks for keeping me honest and please keep up the great work.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
Well said Dimitry, I have not in fact had a chance to work with this case and my comment regarding the plastic bits may have been unfair. Truthfully even the most robust and aestetically pleasing plastic shell on any case in my mind tend to "look" cheap and flimsy compared to Steel and alluminum in my eyes. My somewhat preconcieved ideas about this middle brother of the Phantom 3.0 and the 820 really stem from the fact that although they are feature rich (albeit redundant and needless in many cases imo) the basic aestetics of this NZXT line don't tickle my fancy in the least. Anyways I loved the review and think all the case reviews HWC does are simply outstanding. Thanks for keeping me honest and please keep up the great work.
I totally understand where you are coming from. :)) Our perception of quality has been swayed by full aluminum and steel cases, but the chassis market is moving towards higher integration of sturdy plastics, which holds many advantages.

1: unique molding and aesthetic design that is just not possible with neither steel nor aluminum.
2: less cost, thus better pricing.
3: damage resistant (Thin aluminum panels are so easy to bend, a simple bump can put a dent which will not be aesthetically pleasing)
4: different color options.

The NZXT Phantom line up is a bit alienware looking, I also prefer more settle chassis like the Corsair 550D (My previous case). But opted to keep the P820 because i wanted to utilize large interior and angled fan inside to keep my GTX 590 cool.

Thanks for the comment and compliment :D, always nice to keep our viewers happy.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:03 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
The problem is two-fold:
1. Material cost
With this, we could build all of our chassis out of Aluminum, but that would drastically increase the price and sales wouldn't even be 1/10th of what they are now.
2. Identity. There are plenty of boxes on the market. NZXT has decided that they want to have their own brand recognition and designs, and in doing so, making a lot of the panels (like on the Phantoms) out of aluminum would be so cost prohibitive, that a Phantom 630 would go for 600 bucks.

So, you have to compromise. Dense ABS plastics are used for the more oddly shaped front and top panels while Steel frames, doors, and cages are used to provide stability and rigidity.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy a Phantom 630 for 600 bucks, even if it was aluminum. It's just not in that kind of market segment.

You could also look at some of our "competitors," if you'd like to call them that... A lot of them are moving away from all-aluminum in favor of plastics. Why? Cost. Sales. High-end, pricey cases really don't sell that well. You have to remember that the largest segment of this market is budget-builds, and a lot of those people don't want or need or see the value in something that high.

200 bucks for a case is "insane" to a lot of people. Me? I don't care. It's just money. And if I'm going to buy a case I'm going to buy it because I want it, regardless of the price tag (just ask the CaseLabs M8/Pedestal I used to own). That's what separates an enthusiast from just a typical PC builder.

To each their own on aesthetics.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That certainly makes a lot of sense....now please explain the less than optimal, down right flimsy hdd cadies....on a case as $ as this one.

I say this as a storage enthusiast...and it is one of the few key things keeping from pulling the trigger on one of these cases! So please help convince me. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
That certainly makes a lot of sense....now please explain the less than optimal, down right flimsy hdd cadies....on a case as $ as this one.

I say this as a storage enthusiast...and it is one of the few key things keeping from pulling the trigger on one of these cases! So please help convince me. :)
I'm not sure I can really convince you. I mean, it's an HDD caddie. How often are you going to be pulling HDD's in and out of a case? If it's a lot, then the trays may not work out for you. If not a lot, hardly, or never, then the trays are more than adequate. I really don't have an issue with them once a HDD is installed.

I believe our Product Manager and the designers were tinkering with new ideas for the HDD cages and trays. Unfortunately, companies like to patent these kinds of things, so we'll also have to figure a way out to not piss off another MFG and get suuuuuuuuuuuuuued.

And no, I'm not joking. Companies patent everything these days, from motherboard orientation in a case, to caddies, to holes.... it's a minefield.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes I know...I am odd. I use 10+ hdds in a build. Each one costs 400+ (think high performance SAS drives for a good starting point). These are not cheap drives. The cost of the case is very minor. Something that is flexible..yeah that is tough to trust (dont want to hear a 'cascade of failure' as one drops...and hits the next one down...and down...and down). Its not the fact that they are plastic, but there is plastic and then there is plastic. Make them thicker, durable and generally good enough for people to have confidence in. OR stick to sub 1bill cases. Different niches have different expectations. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 13, 2013, 07:32 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Oh, so you're an actual storage enthusiast...kind of odd, but that's perfectly ok! Odd is good. For your purposes, then no, I would say the HDD cages are probably not up to snuff for your needs since you do a crazy amount of of moving HDDs around.

To be perfectly honest, I'm very fond of the HDD mounting in Lian Li case, like on the K62. I wish we could use that platform because it's simple, and locks everything into place.