Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2013, 08:40 PM
Allstar

Default What's with all the Plastic on cases these days

Man can't stand those ugly plastic case out there. I love my TJ10 but was too big and looking around for a mid ATX case with some heavy weight, and intelligent design is not easy any more. You guys remember the good old Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 ?

..with 5mm thick aluminum ? Man i would love one of those again !!.

The new Tj09 curves is a turn off. They should stick with the TJ10 look but in a Mid size ATX format.

Lian Li...picked up the Lian-li pc-Z60A but I don't like the USB on the top and I don't like that there no pull out motherboard tray. The swap sata is nice though but I'll rarely use it. No side window is a nono

like to sell it off and get a real piece of aluminum back ! not this flimsy thin aluminum or plastic they have now.

CHEERS
Old March 2, 2013, 09:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Man can't stand those ugly plastic case out there. I love my TJ10 but was too big and looking around for a mid ATX case with some heavy weight, and intelligent design is not easy any more. You guys remember the good old Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 ?

..with 5mm thick aluminum ? Man i would love one of those again !!.

The new Tj09 curves is a turn off. They should stick with the TJ10 look but in a Mid size ATX format.

Lian Li...picked up the Lian-li pc-Z60A but I don't like the USB on the top and I don't like that there no pull out motherboard tray. The swap sata is nice though but I'll rarely use it. No side window is a nono

like to sell it off and get a real piece of aluminum back ! not this flimsy thin aluminum or plastic they have now.

You should feel my Colossus then...or my Scout 2. Sure , they have plastic on them but the Panels are Solid and thick.

I do agree that a lot more cases have gone to cheaper and thinner materials, however there are always options out there if you look hard enough.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 2, 2013, 09:15 PM
Allstar

Just checked out DazMode . Has this LD PC - V7 case that looks interesting but holy pajeezes the price !

LD PC-V7 Black Red 280/420 Case

CHEERS
Old March 2, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Slide out trays? Cases haven't had those for YEARS and the ones that do are totally useless!
Old March 2, 2013, 09:25 PM
Allstar

I suppose I'm aging myself :)

CHEERS
Old March 3, 2013, 04:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally a quality case will be light but still rigid. Obviously all the features we look for but what shows good design and manufacture is to have the gauge of the material and the way it's used provide a rigid and stable base for your rig while not weighing a tonne.

I rather pay for good design rather than volume of metal.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd rather pay for both. I'm just about to retire a 15 year old 23" tower I bought back in 98. That was a case. Just too bad the air flow in it isn't up to snuff. Might be modable but I'd need an arc welder and a cut off saw.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:08 AM
Allstar

Fractals are well designed but not refined. Looks like stamped metal with plastic everywhere. Thermaltake is pretty but just steel and plastic. This is where I love Lian-li cases . Seems the closes unit that comes to what I'm looking for is the LD PC-V7...just the price is a hard pill to swallow and at that point I would rather pick up the CaseLabs.

This is the Merlin SM8 which has everthing I'm looking for including sliding motherboard tray :

Merlin Merlin SM5 Case

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; March 3, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

nice case for sure, pricey though, plus be hit with duty when it arrives. Anything over 200 usd they whip out the gun at the door to collect...