Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
Top Prospect

Default Looking for a double wide case.

So I'm here to ask for opinions on my next desktop case. I've been craving more work area within my case (what can I say, I run amd cards ) and recently upgraded to a 7970) and have been considering three options, a Caselabs Magnum M8 (I really don't need the height, but the width seems to open up so many options, can you get these in brushed aluminum?) a Lian Li PC-D8000a and the third option is doing a farmer fix, slapping together a pair of old Lian Li midtower cases and "getting 'er done." Now I haven't really found any in depth reviews for the PC-d8000 which doesn't bode well, the Magnum case is beautiful but I'm also sure that I wouldn't make full use of the case as it seems to be targeting the liquid cooling market. But, while I know I can get another case cheap, I look at the third option and wonder what fit and finish features I'll be missing out on. I do like the rubber grommet hdd installation with the newer LL cases, the older cases are just screw in. So what are the experiences that people here have had with these or similar cases? Would it be worth my time investment to just go with the old Lian Li cases? Or should I consider a differnet case entirely OR light it all on fire and dance in the light reflected from the non-emitting puddle of aluminum?
Old February 23, 2013, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

test bench? Can't get more work room than that. :P

Really if your not doing a seriously large water loop I'm not getting why you need so much room. A 7970 isn't that big (even 3 aren't).

Am I missing something?
What do you want to do that requires the extra room?
Whats your current case?

More info means more informed advice. (Not that I actually know much about the bigger cases but it'll help others work out good suggestions too)
Old February 23, 2013, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

Didn't know I needed a reason for wanting more . I mostly wanted to ensure that I'd have space to do whatever I wanted for the foreseeable future. Water cooling isn't out of the question, just not in the immediate plans. Currently I'm using a pc-6070a that could work but I'd have to pull the bottom HD cage. I do have a plain front Lian Li sitting empty at the moment that I would pair up if I go that route. I have no idea of the model # but as far as externals go most older lili mid tower cases are very nearly identical.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

just mod them together
Old March 4, 2013, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I won't use the extra features of a CaseLogic or Lian Li so I may as well go cheap and dirty..
Old March 4, 2013, 06:25 PM
Allstar

You might want to try California PC Products for some truly large cases.

California PC Products - Large Server

California PC Products - Super Server

I have seen the latter and it is truly insipiring.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

Those are inspiring, but I'm a bit hung up on aluminum for chassis construction. I do like the no-nonsense look of the cases and heavy duty look (and obviously, at 32-45kg, construction) of them, but they might even be a bit much for what I'm wanting at the moment. If I ever need to mount a full computer in a piece of equipment though I now know where to look. Just provide a good intake filter, a grounding wire and rubber mounting blocks to prevent motion shock and it's good to go.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try here..Computer Cases & Computer Towers at Xoxide.com - PC Cases
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 5, 2013, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Picked up a used mountain mods case and I like it, have a few of most manufactures, like this the best so far, maybe see if ya can find one like that, there 18" wide.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect

Do you mind if I ask where (as in what website or other) you found that case? The MM cases I've seen on ebay go for almost new price and in Alberta I don't think I've seen a custom builder case come available on Kijiji. Not saying that I couldn't have missed it, but I haven't seen it. That said, for what I want a hack job done to a pair of old Lian Li cases would do the trick.