Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
MVP

Default Case for Kraken X60

I have the Kraken X60 (Bought it at Frys in Houston last week on vacation)
I also have the CM690 Advanced MK2

The CM690 MK2 fits the X60 at the top but the thickness of the radiator combined with the included fans will not allow a motherboard like my Asus Sabertooth Z77 to be installed. The included fans can also NOT fit under the top case cover as it will not snap closed if they are installed there.

With respect to the bottom of the case, it also fits but the shear size of the radiator will get in the way of the power supply cable and the bottom hard drive cages will have to be removed to even accommodate the radiator.

All in all even though the CM690 MK2 is listed on NZXT's site as being X60 compatible, I think it has more to do with the spacing for the mounting holes as opposed to actually installing the Kraken X60

That being said I am looking for a case that has the clearance at top for fans & radiator(And proper fan mount spacings) to get this thing mounted. Any ideas that won't break the bank???

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 15, 2013, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The Cooler Master HAF-XM or Corsair Carbide 500R are good choices, the 400R might also fit but its going to be tight

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Old January 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
The Cooler Master HAF-XM or Corsair Carbide 500R are good choices, the 400R might also fit but its going to be tight

Are the recommendation of these 2 cases based on actual installations or measurements? With the Kraken x60 and it's fans there would have to be a Miniumm clearance between the top edge of the motherboard and the fan or radiator depending on configuration.

After checking, the 500R has great support for 120mm fans but the Kraken X60 is a 280mm unit with 2 140mm fans and a matching large radiator. The only place it seems the rad/fan setup may be mounted is the side panel which I would prefer to avoid. So far it seems that the 500R will nor work unfortunately.

The Bitfenix ghost may be a contender if the top fan mount spacing if compatible. any Ideas?

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case

Last edited by kingnubian; January 15, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I have no idea about the -XM but I know my HAF-X....is not really compatible. IE It will fit but the mounting holes in my HAF-X are 120/200 only w/ no 140mm holes drilled. For testing I had to do a bit juryrigging to get it to work. Sooo unless you can find a picture of the top brackets in the XM I would pass on the XM idea.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2013, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well the Hardware Canucks review said The XM had support for dual 140mm fans on the top
Cooler Master HAF XM Case Review - YouTube

Same for the 500R
Corsair Carbide 500R Case Review - YouTube

Asus P6X58-E WS | i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz W/ Apogee HD Block | 24gb (3x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC's in SLI W/ XSPC Razor Blocks |
4x 1tb WD Black Drives | SB Recon 3D PCIe | Swiftech MP655-SE Pump | Swiftech Maelstrom Res | CM HAF 932 | Corsair HX 850 (3 yr's old) | Asus VH236H + PA238QR
Old January 15, 2013, 10:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergold View Post
Well the Hardware Canucks review said The XM had support for dual 140mm fans on the top
Cooler Master HAF XM Case Review - YouTube

Same for the 500R
Corsair Carbide 500R Case Review - YouTube
Yes you are correct, & I stand corrected thank you, the carbide 500r will fit dual 140mm fans on top also. The problem now is that the Kraken X60 still won't work because Corsair uses the 20mm spacing for the fan mounting holes as opposed to the 15mm spacing as required by the X60. So close but still would require metal modification.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Old January 16, 2013, 12:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

That is quite disappointing. Maybe the Bitfenix Ghost pehaps. According to NZXT it has the 15mm spacing required for the K60.
NZXT :: Unique. Unprecendented. Inspired - Revised Switch 810 Panels and Kraken Compatibility

Old January 16, 2013, 06:22 AM
Manufacturer Rep

What kind of budget are you looking at? There are several great cases out there, and we just released a new Phantom that would fit your needs, but thee are some other good cases from other MFG's.

So, what's your budget and your preferred aesthetics in a case? That would help everyone help you find a case that YOU like.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:43 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
What kind of budget are you looking at? There are several great cases out there, and we just released a new Phantom that would fit your needs, but thee are some other good cases from other MFG's.

So, what's your budget and your preferred aesthetics in a case? That would help everyone help you find a case that YOU like.
I have budgeted ~$200 for the case. Full tower is ok.

The 2 issues are compatibility with a 280mm X60 with the required 15mm fan spacing, and clearance space measured from the inside top of the enclosure to the top edge of the motherboard. The Z77 Sabertooth has large VRM heatsinks that will get in the way probably if there is any fan or radiator overhang as it does with the Cooler Master CM690 M2 Advanced that I have (And have now put up for sale). I would love a case that would give me enough clearance to mount the fans (Push) and the rad inside the case without overhanging the motherboard. Being able to mount 2 additional fans under the enclosure's top cover is a plus.

The Switch 810 is a very real contender, and a beautiful case at that, but having to wait for the proper top replacement panel to arrive, 15mm fan spacing, after purchasing the case is a negative for me unless I was assured that the one I bought already had the revised panel or shipped with it.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Old January 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
I have budgeted ~$200 for the case. Full tower is ok.

The 2 issues are compatibility with a 280mm X60 with the required 15mm fan spacing, and clearance space measured from the inside top of the enclosure to the top edge of the motherboard. The Z77 Sabertooth has large VRM heatsinks that will get in the way probably if there is any fan or radiator overhang as it does with the Cooler Master CM690 M2 Advanced that I have (And have now put up for sale). I would love a case that would give me enough clearance to mount the fans (Push) and the rad inside the case without overhanging the motherboard. Being able to mount 2 additional fans under the enclosure's top cover is a plus.

The Switch 810 is a very real contender, and a beautiful case at that, but having to wait for the proper top replacement panel to arrive, 15mm fan spacing, after purchasing the case is a negative for me unless I was assured that the one I bought already had the revised panel or shipped with it.
Perhaps see if Xnine can get you a serial number range that has the modified or new top plane for the Switch 810. That might be the most logical move in all honesty. I myself was burned a bit when the industry standards were different, with the 200mm fans. Poor Phantom, never got the honour of a build because of it.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com