Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Corsair’s Massive Obsidian 900D Revealed (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/59058-corsair-s-massive-obsidian-900d-revealed.html)

SKYMTL January 9, 2013 08:16 PM

Corsair’s Massive Obsidian 900D Revealed

Code named “Goliath”, Corsair’s upcoming Obsidian 900D will be massive and filled with unique features for enthusiasts. Could this be the perfect case?

Read more here: Corsair?s Massive Obsidian 900D Revealed | Hardware Canucks

Say hello to my next case. Looks like Corsair is once again going to show everyone else how case design SHOULD be done.

Perineum January 9, 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

The 900D’s interior offers loads of space with mounting points for ten expansion cards, dual power supplies, four 5.25″ optical drives and nine hard drives or SSDs within the modular hard drive cages. Three hot swap connectors are also included.
To clarify, is that like the hot swap bays of the 800D?

The hot swap bays are probably my most favorite feature of my 800D

Rollergold January 9, 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 683417)
To clarify, is that like the hot swap bays of the 800D?

The hot swap bays are probably my most favorite feature of my 800D

No the Hotswaps require opening the side panel but they are tool less now.

lowfat January 9, 2013 10:52 PM

Interior looks cheap to me. :sad:

Perineum January 9, 2013 10:56 PM

Well that's not awful, I don't mind that....

Can you add more "hotswaps" to other drive cages and get more of them?

dustin1706 January 9, 2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 683434)

I suspect that you can. It looks like the "hotswap" is just a backplane that screws to the HDD cage.

I was iffy on this case based on the leaked pics and specs, but having seen it in Linus's video I think I have to have it. Just need to wait for Intel's 2011 refresh and Nvidia's next series. 2x480s, 1x360, 1x240 :biggrin:

MacJunky January 9, 2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 683402)
Code named “Goliath”, Corsair’s upcoming Obsidian 900D will be massive and filled with unique features for enthusiasts. Could this be the perfect case?

Not with less than eight or nine 5.25" bays.(but ideally ten+ in addition to a healty number of 3.5" bays)

Not impress.

Rollergold January 10, 2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 683434)

Since Corsair is going to be selling more drive cages I would assume you can buy more hot swap planes for it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacJunky (Post 683441)
Not with less than eight or nine 5.25" bays.(but ideally ten+ in addition to a healty number of 3.5" bays)

Not impress.

Personally I'm happy with the number of 5.25 bays. 1 for an optical drive (Yes I still use one from time to time), 1-2 for a Res and the last one for a fan controller. But whatever floats your boat I guess. Count me in for some 900D action though. I'm not really worried about its size since my system is no longer choking for air under my desk and with support up to 2 quad rads my upcoming water loop will be just that much quieter (not that I would use 2 quad rads :whistle:).

PS. Can't wait to see the official HWC review of this beast.

dustin1706 January 10, 2013 12:24 AM

Looks like only 3 x 5.25 bays if you use a 480 up top. Bit of a shame.

Rollergold January 10, 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin1706 (Post 683447)
Looks like only 3 x 5.25 bays if you use a 480 up top. Bit of a shame.

You might get the 4th bay if you don't use push pull on a thick rad. I rather just use 1 set of fans in pull personally.