Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default vertical cooling on the FD define R4?

Hey,i might have an R4,i was thinking, after all, heat goes up, logically, if i put 1 fan on the top(pull) and one on the side(pull)and one on the front(push),it should cool way better than horizontal cooling,no? and it would be easier to pull the air of the case,better acess,the only problem would be the CPU cooler,but the hot air should go through the grid,even if it's not extracted by a case fan...what do you think?
Old December 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Allstar

so you want a negative pressure case?
Old December 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Negative pressure? i'm not sure what you mean^^
Old December 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
Allstar

positive pressure = more fans blowing in than out
negative pressure = more fan blowing out than in

positive pressure is preferred nowadays because it keeps dust out. air is constantly being forced out of the case through the open fan mounts and tiny cracks( overpressure inside the case ) and keeps dust from sneaking in.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok.Do you think it's a good idea or should i put more fans for intake?I'm looking for something cool and quiet.Most people say this case is great for that,but so many options...
Old December 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
Allstar

personally, I used the two case fans as intake on the front fan mounts. I used a h80 with a nh p14 exhausting out the rear fan mount. That met my cooling requirements and the only thing i could hear was the gtx 660 ti and it wasn't very loud at that.

if i had to add something, I would only mount an intake fan in the bottom slot. that way, none of the moduvents are removed. I say this in the interest of keeping the case quiet (because that's what i paid good money for).

vertical cooling is technically more effective, but i would say negligibly so. the R4 is hardly a small case where this would be much more important.