Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Fractal Design Define XL Alternative?

I'm thinking about buying the Fractal Design Define XL for the following reasons:

- Price, Only 150USD
- Has a basement to separate my liquid cooling from the rest of the computer (for the sake of looks)
- Has a full side panel, so I can cut it and modify for a window and vent my rad
- Plenty of room on the passenger side for cable management
- Removable drive cages without having to do any cutting
- Room! Lots and Lots of ROOM!
- Nice and Plain, I hate flashy cases.

So here is my question, I haven't come across one yet, but anyone have any suggestions for a case they would recommend that would meet my above criteria? The side panel is important to me, because I'm wanting to do something different with the window that I can't do with a window that's already there. I would like to keep it under 200USD, so any suggestions or preferred cases that you would use?
Old November 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Top Prospect

I can't think of a case in the $150 dollar range that would satisfy all those requirements, other than the Define XL.

The 800D would be a good choice, but it's $250+.
The NZXT Switch 810 Special Edition would be very solid as well, but it does not have a separate basement; however, water cooling support is unparalleled.

Unfortunately both of them have side windows. Just go with the Define XL if it has all that you're looking for. Good luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

actually, the black version of that NZXT is almost perfect. The window covers the entire area so I can show off the hard work, which why I was going to do a custom window, and while it doesn't have the basement, I could probably change my design flow a bit to accommodate pump placement, and probably still get more than enough radiator space in the top and bottom so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting out the side for it.

Thanks for pointing that out, even though its all glossy so I'd have to dust it from time to time, it's still very sleek and simple. Good find there!
Old November 23, 2012, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
actually, the black version of that NZXT is almost perfect. The window covers the entire area so I can show off the hard work, which why I was going to do a custom window, and while it doesn't have the basement, I could probably change my design flow a bit to accommodate pump placement, and probably still get more than enough radiator space in the top and bottom so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting out the side for it.

Thanks for pointing that out, even though its all glossy so I'd have to dust it from time to time, it's still very sleek and simple. Good find there!
Glad you're interested!

Hope you get this before you go ahead and buy one, but check out the Nzxt Switch 810 SPECIAL EDITION. The special editions comes in a very nice matte black (which I have) and gun metal grey. I don't really like the gloss much myself.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post

You can always make or purchase a full bottom power supply cover to act as a basement. That's what I did for my switch. I know a guy in georgia who makes em for about $50. I ordered one it's in the mail right now so I can't comment on the quality yet.

Also yes look into the matte black if you want black. The gloss black is a finger print magnet. Also it will scratch when you dust it.