Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Allstar

Does anyone know if the 2.5" internal drive brackets will take a 15mm tall drive or are they 7mm/9.5mm/12.5mm only?

And for those who would prefer a solid top, they make a windowed case top as an optional accessory.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Great series for the price. I own a HAF 912 myself. Usually I'd go for something more elegant, but the design/features/price ratio won me over. I also like that I can throw connected USB devices on top of the plastic without having to worry about scratching a nice gloss/anodized finish.

I'm not sure they designed this one right though, at least as a mobile LAN box. LAN boxes should remain towers for two reason: 1) It's less awkward to carry an upright rectangle single-handed compared to a square single-handed (granted they both have handles); 2) boxes have a larger footprint, which can be problematic at LANs where table space is an issue. Filling space vertically makes most sense.

Having said that, this design will surely have applications outside of gaming events.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; November 25, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Does anyone know if the 2.5" internal drive brackets will take a 15mm tall drive or are they 7mm/9.5mm/12.5mm only?

And for those who would prefer a solid top, they make a windowed case top as an optional accessory.
there are cheap plastic ones on ebay that would allow you to make your own holes for whatever sized drive pretty easily. I have a couple, they do the trick just fine.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Default GTA area retailer...

Hi everyone, new here had no clue this site existed. This place is awesome.

Has anyone seen this case for sale at a GTA retailer. I want this case now!

With the Christmas around the corner it's going to take a few days to ship.
I would like to finish my build over the Xmas holidays, so it would be nice if I could pick this up.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays

Last edited by Jabberwock; December 22, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Welcome to the forum mate.

Unfortunately I dont know of any local business that have them in stock. I was lucky enough to snag one of the last from the first shipment into Canada...and can say that it will be 100% worth your time and effort in tracking it down! The stock fans - in typical CM fashion - leave a lot to be desired but that and the less than perfect cooling for the hdds are the only major issues with this case. Very, very nice to work with.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Welcome to the forum mate.

Unfortunately I dont know of any local business that have them in stock. I was lucky enough to snag one of the last from the first shipment into Canada...and can say that it will be 100% worth your time and effort in tracking it down! The stock fans - in typical CM fashion - leave a lot to be desired but that and the less than perfect cooling for the hdds are the only major issues with this case. Very, very nice to work with.
CM cheaps out on fans, but I'm okay with that as I buy my own from them anyways.
HDD cooling would worry me too for typical drives, but given that nowadays the primary on a lot of rigs is an SSD. It should slowly become a non-issue.

Would love to see some pics when you get it built. I know of no-one even channel providers to the E-tailers that have it in stock.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 22, 2012, 11:51 PM
Rookie

Default Still Searching...

Thanks for the quick response,

I spent most of the day calling retailers trying to find one in stock (not fun during the holiday rush).
Canada Computers in Kingston has one ...

A lot the online retailers have them in stock at their warehouses.
I think I am going to get NCIX to have one delivered to their Mississauga location.

Yeah I planned on upgrading the stock fans.
I haven't built a computer in years (like Athlon XP days), so I am just going to go with some Zalman case fans, as I trust Zalman. Unless you have any other recommendations...

Hoping I can fit a Corsair H100 in the HAF XB in Push/Pull, seems possible from what I have read in forums.

Will definitely post some build pics once I get my hands on a case.

Thanks again.
Old December 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Thanks for the quick response,

I spent most of the day calling retailers trying to find one in stock (not fun during the holiday rush).
Canada Computers in Kingston has one ...

A lot the online retailers have them in stock at their warehouses.
I think I am going to get NCIX to have one delivered to their Mississauga location.

Yeah I planned on upgrading the stock fans.
I haven't built a computer in years (like Athlon XP days), so I am just going to go with some Zalman case fans, as I trust Zalman. Unless you have any other recommendations...

Hoping I can fit a Corsair H100 in the HAF XB in Push/Pull, seems possible from what I have read in forums.

Will definitely post some build pics once I get my hands on a case.

Thanks again.
Zalman Fans are usually pretty good, though sometimes overpriced from what is out there. If you are aiming at a more silent build, then Gelid , Yate loon or even the Gentle Typhoons from Scythe are a good start.

Higher performance fans coolermaster does make, the LED cheaper R4's actually have great static pressure numbers for use in a Rad/HS environment. Or the Blademasters they make.

Don't let the stock fans fool you into thinking CM doesn't know how to make a case fan, because they have great options outside of that.

Good luck getting the case, and good luck with the build!

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

After build two rigs using this case I have a couple things the add that may help people out:

1) the top '200mm' fan location WILL accept 230mm CM fans. The 200x230 big boys that come with -for example- HAF-X fit perfectly

2) the top fan location is less than optimal for cooling GPUS. First couple pcie slots will get SOME air from it...but most will hit the CPU location

3) with dual 140mm front fans....a top fan is not needed, it has great internal air flow!!!

4) 140mm fans are a PITA to install in this case. SOME 140mm fans will not fit. What happens is the front plastic fascia has a plastic 'strip' that runs along the bottom edge of the fan area. If you use Crosair AF140 fans...you will need to clip this plastic strip off or the front will NOT go back on. A pair of nail clippers work fine as the front plastic is thin and flimsy. First time this is a GOOD THING! :S

5) The PSU area is very tight. Using 160mm deep modular PSU == tough times. The issue is the backplane of the 3.5 bays uses a MOLEX connector not sata so this connector sticks out a nice ways...and reduces PSU cable area. This should have been SATA connector.

6) The backplane for the 3.5 drives is VERY delicate. Plugging in sata cables and then gently routing the cable around the PSU cables has caused BOTH to break at least one port on each. If I was to do it all again...I would remove the backplane.

7) right angle SATA connectors will NOT work with the backplane. The two ports are too close together for it to work 'right'. This combined with the delicate sata ports on the backplane == nightmare. Stick to straights.

8) the bottom 80mm fan locations work fine for the 2.5" bay. I recommend two gelid silent fans sucking air OUT. Do not use just one. If you do, it will just suck air out from the adjacent fan port.

9) there are air vents along the bottom that will provide some air to the 2.5" bay when used as above.

10) 3.5" drives...use only 1. They sit close together and there is going to be zero air flow to them. One will be fine. But stack two together and they will run hotter than otherwise. This is OK, but why bother? ssd + 1 hdd is perfect.

11) Air flow for the mob is GREAT with the 140s installed. Will keep the mobo and all GPUS nice and cool.

12) Use a good AIO water cooler for the CPU. This case can easily take an air cooler, but why bother? Pump the heat out the back. A Corsair H60 gen 2 on a 3770K @ 4.3 doing prime95 will stay well under 70. H80i is better again. ;)

13) Front IO pannel is very less than optimal. CM needs to take a page from other companies and do quad USB 3.0. There is room on the fascia and io panel area that was not used. Include dual USB internal headers w/ usb 2.0 'tails' so all four can be used.

14) stock 120mm fans are less than optimal. swap them out for good fans.

15) A H60i, dual AF140s, dual Gelids == low noise rig. The LG DVD burner is WAY louder than anything else in it. The 5.25' bays really need some vibration dampening material!

16) The 3.5" bay adapters are plastic. Very less than impressed with them.

17) If you do populate the 80mm locations pickup a couple molex fan adapters as no fans wires will bel long enough to wrap UP and AROUND to plug into the mobo. CM should include a pair of them.

18) when doing a build. Do it in THIS order:

a) Remove the side panels, top panel AND mobo plate from the case
b) Install fans. Start with dual 80s. Then the front 120/140 mod front fascia IF needed
c) plug in SATA cables on backplane
d) install ssd WITH sata cable
e)install ALL the PSU calbes you will need IF using modular
f)install PSU...GENTLY. that 3.5 backplane is DELICATE!!!
g)install dvd drive WITH sata cable already installed
h) plug in all the various 'bottom zone' devices to PSU
i) route cables between the 3.5 and 5.25 zone. Nice little hole for the sata cables and power cables for 'top zone'.
j) install cpu, ram and cooler backplate to mobo
k)install mobo to mobo removable tray
l)install mobo tray
m) install AIO cooler in rear location. Rotate it so the inlet/outlet ports on the rad are facing the 'left' side away from mobo
n) plug in all your cables
o)swap out the small black thumbscrews for larger ModSmart screws. The stock thumbscrews are small and tough to use IF you plan on swapping out parts on a regular basis.
P)put pannels back on w/ larger black thumbscrews
q) plug in...and enjoy

19) I really DO like this case. It has a couple 'warts' but its very nice.

For anyone interested this is what I did for my own personal rig (the 2nd was for a friend and onboard HD4000 was more good enough)

Two 800GB DC S3700 SSDs
One 520 Intel 240GB ssd (might plan for dual DC S3700s 200GBs...but maybe not have plans for the small 'uns elsewhere)
One 4TB Black HDD
One DVD burner

Intel 3770k
Asus Z77 Deluxe
Kingston 32GB DDR3 1600
Asus Xonar Soundcard
Asus GTX 580 (plan on upgrading to either 680, dual 670s or waiting for next gen)

Hope that helps peeps who opt for this excellent case.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 1, 2013, 02:07 PM
Rookie

awesome review, going to pick the wife up one of these.