Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Do i need intake fans? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/56986-do-i-need-intake-fans.html)

KSiG September 29, 2012 08:27 AM

Do i need intake fans?

I have the coolermaster storm stryker and i have no hot components in my system. I have 550 ti. and a 6 core bulldozer. thats about it. should i just have all exhaust fans?

dandelioneater September 29, 2012 08:35 AM

If you have all exhaust fans you will create negative pressure in the case and could suck in dust through the non filtered cracks/spaces in your case.

BryceBooth September 29, 2012 08:39 AM

Ideally, you would have more intake fans, than exhaust. For your build a single intake and exhaust fan would improve airflow in your chassis, and should help to lower the temps a bit.

lowfat September 29, 2012 08:53 AM

You generally want slightly more intake than exhaust in a case. Positive pressure helps limit dust.

Bond007 September 29, 2012 10:54 AM

intake fans help reduce dust wedged in cracks, but exhaust fans in the back and top are the most important for system temperatures. That said fans can be had pretty cheap, so why not put one or two in the front (I only had exhaust for a couple years, but once I put a dedicated graphics card I added intake fans). The intake fans also dropped my hard drive temps.

enaberif September 29, 2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 658643)
intake fans help reduce dust wedged in cracks, but exhaust fans in the back and top are the most important for system temperatures. That said fans can be had pretty cheap, so why not put one or two in the front (I only had exhaust for a couple years, but once I put a dedicated graphics card I added intake fans). The intake fans also dropped my hard drive temps.

The only fan that should be exhaust is the one on the back of the case and it should be faster than your intakes.

Bond007 September 29, 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 658646)
The only fan that should be exhaust is the one on the back of the case and it should be faster than your intakes.

Respectfully disagree. Hot air rises. Top fans should exhaust the hot air out.

Generic User #2 September 29, 2012 08:23 PM

i've never used the top fans before...but i imagine the hot air can make things uncomfortable for the user if the tower is close enough, especially over long gaming sessions?

JohnEBH September 29, 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User #2 (Post 658722)
i've never used the top fans before...but i imagine the hot air can make things uncomfortable for the user if the tower is close enough, especially over long gaming sessions?

Unless the tower's beside you, the heat coming from the top fans shouldn't affect you in any way.

Generic User #2 September 29, 2012 09:00 PM

the tower is immediately beside my 'client' -_- (he can't get out of the chair on the right side).

lets say you only have intake fans (following the idea that less fans = less noise and temperatures/performance are not a concern) and you have the top vents on your case...would that still be hot enough to bother the user (with the proximity described above)? assume the CPU is a 2500 with stock cooler