Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Corsair Obsidian 650D or 550D Case . . . All the benefits but silent? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/56598-corsair-obsidian-650d-550d-case-all-benefits-but-silent.html)

Questtt3 September 8, 2012 05:04 AM

Corsair Obsidian 650D or 550D Case . . . All the benefits but silent?

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Corsair 650D case when I saw the review here about the 550D . . . I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am building a system to use for flight simulator (I'm a pilot) and some family HD video editing (for now, single 2GB Nvidia GTX 680 graphics card and sealed liquid cooler, ASUS Maximus V Extreme MOB) . . . but most of the time the computer will be sitting on my desk where I can spend 6-10 hours/day doing intensive research and writing. It is amazing how peaceful it can be (a relief) when I turn my computer off . . . kind of surprising how subconsciously mentally fatiguing/distracting computer noise can be.

With this in mind, the 550D sounds like it might be a good case to go with, but what would I be giving up by not going with the 650D? Does the 550D possess all the benefits of the 650D but with option to run silent . . . or does the 550D lack some of the benefits of the 650D (less upgradeable? Poorer airflow even with panels removed? Etc.?). Addionally, was also wondering if hinged door restricts some options . . . for example . . . I was thinking about adding a Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller when considering the 650D, but don't know if this would be possible on the 550D with the hinged door panel (knobs might be in the way).

I would be most grateful for advice on this. Thank you very much.

GT7R September 8, 2012 07:18 AM

Other than the fan controller incompatibility, the 550D has just as good of an airflow (but different - side intake as opposed to front intake), so in the 550D the GPU will get more air while in the 650 it'll be the hard drive(s). The 550 is supposed to be quieter, but I find the 650's bigger fans very quiet.

miggs78 September 10, 2012 11:00 PM

I disagree there ^^.. The 550D does had dual intake fans in the front, they have made ventilation holes on the bottom and there is also space on either side of the case to pull in air.. The side panel fans are optional, you don't have to use them if you don't want to. And nowadays with a person only needing 1 large hdd and 1 ssd, you can practically remove the top hdd cage and let the from 120mm fan push air directly on the gpu...

icodeit September 28, 2012 06:44 AM

I bought one of the 550's on sale this week @NCIX. I will use if for a build soon. With the sale price drop it became a no brainer for me based on the review on this site. I don't push my machine, I just like it reliable. Once I'm all done I will report back on how I like it.

technobot October 20, 2012 09:56 AM

550d = great case

Upgraded my main rig a month ago, and settled on a 500d to house the recycled parts as a media PC/wife rig.

I went with the 550d initially because of:

1. Overwhelmingly good reviews, specifically regarding its silence
2. Excellent price (it was on special at NCIX for $110 CDN I believe)
3. I couldn't get any smaller form factor, didn't want anything bigger (old mobo was ATX)

Primary concerns were:

1. Noise (the wife wouldn't tolerate anything noisy in the living room!)
2. Heat (would the case be fine with quieter fans running 24/7?)

Well, after a month I can report a few things.

I can say in over 15 years of building/upgrading PCs I can say it was the easiest case I've ever had to work with. And unlike many other manufacturers, Corsair acknowledges things break, and gives you extras of everything. I've never had so much extra.

I replaced all three included 120mm fans with Noctua NF-P12s. The wife can't hear the PC above the ambient noise in the living room. We have a small living room and she is situated close to the PC (5ft away). Her hearing is fine : )

It doesn't get hot (hottest core @38, i7-920 at stock). Mind you, while it runs 24/7 it's a media PC, so there's nothing to really stress it.

I seriously considered using my current case as the media PC's case, and "downgrading" to the 550d. The wife voted no since the current case is rather large and sticks out.

If you can get it for that kind of price you can't go wrong. As Miggs stated, if you can live with using just 3 drives (you can :) ), remove the top cage for better airflow. If you really wanted, you could remove all the covers and add as many fans as you wish. For me, this would negate a major benefit of the cause (low noise).