Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
Allstar

Default need a recommendation for a 'better' case than the SG07

I currently have a SG07 w/ window and it's a beautiful case. However, there are a few minor tweaks before I could call it a perfect case.

the things I love and want to keep:
*supports long gpus
*has a window to show off the GPU
*horizontal motherboard (directly related to the GPU window)
*ATX power supply (the size of the power supply isn't important, but I would like at least 600W and modular AND short cables)

the things I would change:
*add support for TALL gpus (such as the directCUII series)
*i only need support for 10.5" long GPUs, anything else is unnecessarily increasing the length
*only support one 2.5" drive (I would even be willing to go the 256GB mSATA route actually) (this is mainly to make things more compact)
*support for intake and exhaust case fans (so I can confidently use cards with open-air GPU coolers)
*get a modular powersupply
*i don't need external 5.25" drive bays
*support for tall CPU coolers (the noctua D14 specifically)

the things that sound nice but i don't actually want:
*support for water cooling
*more than 2 120mm intake fans and more than 1 exhaust 120mm fan
*additional PCIE slot so i can add a thick GPU (such as gtx 680 directCUII)

this upgrade isn't a MUST-HAVE for me; its just that I couldn't find anything that matched my wants.

ps the bitfenix prodigy is almost the perfect case; i would want a GPU window and I could do with the drive bay area being removed to make things more compact.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would just bust out the dremel on the ventilated side panel on the prodigy if that is your scenario.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm confused. ON the one hand, you say that you love and want to keep the fact that your case fits long GPUs. Then again, you mention that you only need support for GPUs that are 10.5" long, and that anything extra is just a waste.

Also, you would 'add support for tall gpus, such as DCuII, but in the last part, you mention you dont' actually want the additional slot to support cards like the GTX680DCuII...

So, colour me confused!

I've been lusting after the Bitfenix Prodigy myself. If I didn't already have a perfectly good, functional and nice looking case, I'd be all over that thing. I truly think it's a work of art perfectly combining form and function. Maybe I need an excuse to replace my HTPC case...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
Allstar

support for long cards as in something larger than the tiny HTPC type cards ;)

there are some DCUII cards that are only two slots wide, but are taller than the PCIE slot. Such as the GTX 670 DCUII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I would just bust out the dremel on the ventilated side panel on the prodigy if that is your scenario.
ya....that would be fine for most people, but I'm not much of a shop guy and I don't have any tools around. Destroying a case isn't my idea of fun really*.

*there's honestly no chance of me correctly completing the project

Last edited by Generic User #2; July 22, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
ya....that would be fine for most people, but I'm not much of a shop guy and I don't have any tools around. Destroying a case isn't my idea of fun really*.

*there's honestly no chance of me correctly completing the project
LOL I'm not a shop guy either. I am a city boy. And I live in a little ass apartment. And I am sure my neighbours thought I was dismembering my wife when I was hacking at my cases the few times. If you have any bit of manual dexterity and a pair of safety goggles it's extremely easy. Not hard at all to make it look nice and clean. I wouldn't quite call it destroying. But hey if that's just not your thing then that's just not your thing.

As for mini ITX cases I am not aware of any that have a window.