Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Do I need a top fan?

I am planning on doing some upgrades to my case soon, and one of which involves getting 3 new 120mm fans and replacing the top and back fans.

From this picture does it look like it would even be worth getting 2 120mm fans for the top, when the heatsink is so big?
Old July 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nope.. your pulling out more air than your putting in.. get a side or bottom fan (or both) then go for the extra top fan.

I tend to find that if you have more out than in you get dust being sucked in from every small gap, crack etc leading to a rather dusty case..
Old July 20, 2012, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

So, should I forgo a fan up there at all, or get some and have them blowing in?
Old July 20, 2012, 07:41 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Ditto what Dzzope said; usual rule of thumb is try to keep pressure neutral, but lean toward positive (more air coming in than going out) if necessary.

As well, I see at least an inch between the top fan (140mm?) and the CPU cooler. Fans draw air radially, so that cooler isn't blocking it all that much. I say go nuts. =D
Old July 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

So,

2 Fans Exaust at Top
2 Fans Intake at Top
No Fans at Top.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:12 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming there's only one front fan, and that it's the same size (and strength) as the current top exhaust fan, those two negate each other, but then you also have the back fan (I'm guessing 120mm)

If you want to stay neutral and keep dust out, then I say stick with your existing setup and add a side fan.

If you must have two fans on top, then you might have to have one intake, one exhaust. (Add a dust filter to the intake one)

EDIT: Something like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nk,3053-5.html (see 3rd picture, but imagine another top fan blowing air in, in front of the CPU cooler)

Last edited by Ajiki-kun; July 20, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you really want extra cooling, then add a side fan... if you still want more add a bottom intake and top out..
Really, there is little need for more fans, unless your finding that your system is running a lil too hot. You'll just add noise and extra dust collection.