Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Top Prospect

I think I know what you're looking for, something minimalistic but with a bit more flare than the Define XL right?

800d and switch 810 (special edition matte black/gunmetal finish) fits all those points you're looking for, but there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages between the two cases.

1.) The build quality of switch 810 is fine but the 800D is decidedly better.

2.) If you're planning to liquid cool then you don't have to worry too much about noise regardless, but the 800D is a pretty closed case and you can open/close the top cover on the switch 810 to either shave off some ambient noise or increase cooling performance.

3.) The 800D is a great closed loop chassis but the switch 810 has a lot more support for liquid cooling (you can add a triple rad on the top, single rad on the back, dual rad on the bottom) you would need to research the rad thickness permitted in the case I forget how much it was. NZXT Switch 810 Review & Watercooling Guide - YouTube

4.) The 800D is about 2 inches bigger in height and length than the Define XL and the Switch 810 is about 1 inch bigger in height and length. So not that much bigger than the XL, still a good size without being an eye sore. Aesthetically, I think the 800D looks better but if you get the Switch 810 in the special edition matte/gunmetal finish they're both comparably professional and minimalistic looking.

5.) As for features, both have support for USB 3.0 but you'd need to buy an upgrade for the 800D IIRC, the switch 810 has easy to access/clean filters, both have hot swappable drive bays, and both have large grommets and good space for cable management however, the switch 810 has superior support for air cooling. The switch 810 comes in about 180$ (if you're lucky you can get one on sale for 169.99 or 129.99) and the 800D around 270$.

Sources: I own the Switch 810, friend owned the 800D.

Random Photos:

Old July 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You might want to consider the corsair 600t or 600tm it meets all your criteria .

Graphite Series
Old July 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Rookie

I love the Caselabs M8 but it's obscenely expensive.
Old July 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by le2key View Post
I think I know what you're looking for, something minimalistic but with a bit more flare than the Define XL right?

800d and switch 810 (special edition matte black/gunmetal finish) fits all those points you're looking for, but there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages between the two cases.

1.) The build quality of switch 810 is fine but the 800D is decidedly better.
that is a REALLY comprehensive review thanks a bunch... i think ill probably wind up going with the switch for price reasons alone....i wish it had more hot swap bay but i can live lol... any good places that i can find good quality sound dampening (with adhesive backing maybe) to pop in the case to help with the sound? also ill probably wind up posting it here, but i plan on using some of the 3m DI-NOC carbon fiber wrap on the case to make a lot of really cool accents :)
Old July 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguseater View Post
One of my new favorites for client builds is the Bitfenix Shinobi, but I cannot wait for an excuse to order up a Bitfenix Prodigy. The Prodigy is a mITX but can fit in all sorts of cool gear, heres a build that fits in a XS240 Rad system. People are saying that they can fit in an H100 and an H80... but YMMV. I like the white cases, saves a little painting time.

Fungi
Yes, it can. H100 on the top, remove all hard drive cages, fit the H80 in the front.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I absolutely love my 600t but i think my next case will be the Shinobi XL.