Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default A more "mobile" Solution.

I'm looking into upgrading my current rig with an SR-X motherboard and Xeons in the near future, but I'm looking into taking my R3BE and introducing it into a more mobile form factor, I'm not opposed to case modification, but I'm having a hard time finding a place to start: Does anybody have any suggestions for small, easy to carry cases that I can transplant my R3BE, 990x, and Asus Matrix GTX 580 into without suffering too much from temperature issues? I'm essentially looking to be able to bring it with me anywhere without much hassle.

Thanks in advance
Old June 11, 2012, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

it will be tough with those parts... A mobo that size and weight with a 3 slot GPU isn't going to be easy to transport to matter what because it will be heavy but a bitfenix survivor or CM storm scout might do the trick for ya.
Old June 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The only other suggestion would be to get a matx board and probably a silverstone case. They would be the only ones i can think of that could fit a matrix 580 and cool it sufficiently
Old June 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, weight isn't an issue, it's just the size I'm concerned about, if I can carry it easily by hand (regardless of weight), that would be preferable. And again, I'm not completely closed off of the idea of modding a smaller case to fit the parts and allow it the proper ventilation, My only concern is more portability than lugging it around in an 800D. Doesn't have to be tiny or anything, but smaller than the behemoth it's in now. Any good recommendations of smaller cases that could fit an XL-ATX board with a little bit of imagination?

EDIT: I looked at the Survivor and the Storm Scout, and the latter is looking like a good option, however, do you guys think it could clearly fit an H70 with no obstructions?
Old June 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPhoenix View Post
Well, weight isn't an issue, it's just the size I'm concerned about, if I can carry it easily by hand (regardless of weight), that would be preferable. And again, I'm not completely closed off of the idea of modding a smaller case to fit the parts and allow it the proper ventilation, My only concern is more portability than lugging it around in an 800D. Doesn't have to be tiny or anything, but smaller than the behemoth it's in now. Any good recommendations of smaller cases that could fit an XL-ATX board with a little bit of imagination?

EDIT: I looked at the Survivor and the Storm Scout, and the latter is looking like a good option, however, do you guys think it could clearly fit an H70 with no obstructions?
For sure... my silverstone tj08b-e fits a h70 with no problems.

P.S you will have to mod the storm scout to get your eatx board in there I suggest you look up a guide to make sure you are comfortable with that first.
Old June 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

That's not an issue for me JJThomp, thank you for the heads up though! Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I'm looking forward to posting the outcome of both of my future setups!
Old June 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check out the Corsair C70 case. I just built my friend a PC in it and it is SWEET! It has an excellent set of very sturdy carry handles.