Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default I have been wanting just a quiet case

I am so tired of the noise my case make ,it is a good case but when they have so much mesh on them ,they are no really quiet.My Haf-X was a good case but it was not a quiet one.I always liked my Antec P180 case because it was quiet.and now that they came out with the P280 I had to try it and the price was cheap.You can tell they cheap out on some things like the fan that are just two-cool instead of tri-cool.the harddrive holder are some kind of plastic.Plus it does'nt have the divider like the P180 did to seperate the power supply and harddrves .But it is insulated pretty good.It has 6 harddrive bays and two more for 2.5" SSD drives.It has 9 expansion slots so you can put as many video cards as your motherboard will hold.It has three DVD bays which is plenty I still never understand why most full size cases have 6 or 7 dvd drive bays.I guess if you are makeing copies of something 6 DVD or BLU-Ray drives would be good.It has over a inch of space behind the motherboard so hidding wires will be easy .At top it has two 120mm fans so my Corsair H-100 fits perfect.It could have been build better ,but they are going in the right direction.Now I just need to buy the quietest fans that put out the most CFM.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old June 9, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I agree that Antec has cheaped-out their cases with time. I've used them exclusively starting with the P180, then the P183 and now the P280. I rather liked the divider between the power supply and the rest of the case but Antec saw fit to delete that in the new model. Do like the CPU cut-out and the space behind the motherboard on the P280; also the front USB3 header. Overall it is more cheaply built than the first two models but still a nice case for the price. The rough outer finish isn't as easy to clean as the first two models which had the smooth surfaces. As far as fans, I just went with extra Antec fans since they fit the case nicely but they aren't the quietest. Found this listing that might help you find quiet fans for installation.

Quiet Case Fans - Antec, Scythe, SilenX, and Zalman Fans

Notice you are in Texas. I am in West Texas and with the summer we are having already we need all the fans and cooling we can get--105 when I left work today!
Old June 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Siverstone RAVEN II

went from my Antec P180 mini i to my Raven I build. the .

The sillece of the Raven I was defining no fan niose at all with stock fans. twice the price thogh.
Old June 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Rookie

I believe Antec Solo II is Antec's quietest case. Quieter and better looking than the Sonatas IMO.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I too have a P180 and noticed the P280 has totally cheaped out. Given its only $99 you can't complain much.

Anyway, I was looking for alternatives and decided to try Corsair's Obsidian 550D. I haven't built it yet but looks great so I am hoping it will work out.

I got it on sale at Canada computers for only $119.99 which is a great deal. It's still on sale until June 28 lol if anyone is interested.
Old June 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i loved my fractal design r3 mid tower

Old July 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Fractal Define XL is moderately quiet + nice and easy to work in